“Good honest pub food”

Ranked #10 of 32 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$6 - US$23
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Fantastic country village pub, offers great home cooked locally sourced food. With a lovely little restaurant dining area with a relaxed ambience. Lovely lounge area with large fire place to warm yourselves through in the winter. Or in the summer bask in the gorgeous sun in our brilliant large beer garden. Thinking of having a party why not ask about our private function room with private bar.
Shropshire
“Good honest pub food”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

This is a proper pub with a dining room serving good pub food rather than an over-designed gastro pub. We visited mid week and there were a few friendly locals in the lounge and we received a warm welcome from the staff. We ordered some drinks from the bar and were then shown straight through to the dining room. Whilst we were the only diners to start with (more arrived later) there was still a pleasant atmosphere because you could here the customers in the bar in the background.

The menu has a good selection of standard pub food (e.g. starters of mushrooms, soup; main courses of burger, battered fish & chips) plus some more interesting dishes (e.g. a starter of black pudding and apple stack; main courses of Thai chicken curry, lamb tagine with cous cous) and there was enough choice without being overwhelming. There was at least one vegetarian option and although we didn't ask I would think they would cope with a gluten free diet.

While we waited for our starters we were given a basket of fresh chunky bread and butter. The butter was in a little pot rather than the usual portion controlled foil wrapped offering. We had vegetable soup and the black pudding and apple stack with mustard sauce. Both were tasty and the helpings were generous.

For mains hubby chose rump steak (rare) with chips, tomatoes, mushrooms and salad and I had hake in a coriander and cherry tomato salsa. The hake came with a choice of potatoes and salad or veg. The chips were chunky and the veg was freshly cooked. Again the helpings were generous - we only managed to eat a fraction of the chips. We each had a glass of wine - there was a reasonable selection and we picked a shiraz and a sauvignon blanc - both were nice.

I didn't have room for pudding, but hubbie ordered apple crumble and custard. The waitress brought an extra spoon so I could have a taste! The crumble tasted home made and again, was very nice and generous. Other puds on offer were chocolate brownie, sticky toffee pudding, meringue with fruit coulis and cheese & biscuits.

The waitress was polite and pleasant and the bill very reasonable, so all in all it was a very enjoyable experience and we will be going back. This may not be the sort of venue to go for a romantic meal or if you are looking for something posh, but if you want honest local food that is tasty, well prepared and served with a smile, this should be on your list. Edgmond is lucky to have a local like this!

• Visited January 2014

Telford, United Kingdom
“Good Local”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Good food, good beer and attentive staff. I have lived nearby for a number of years and have popped in but with the current management and ethos of being a "Local" I can see myself returning on a regular basis. The steak I had last week was excellent and I have no qualms in recommending The Lion to all who visit the area, or indeed live locally. Price is very acceptable as well.

• Visited September 2013
traceythomas64
“Friendly country pub with excellent food.”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Last night I enjoyed my first visit to this pub with my husband and a couple of friends. I'd cycled past it a few times but not taken a lot of notice and was surprised to find how big it was, inside and out and we were given a warm welcome by Mike the landlord.

The full car park told us how popular it was and this was backed up by the fact that there were lots of people in the beer garden and it was very busy inside. There seemed to be lots of local people in enjoying a drink and my eye immediately caught a black board that had listed on it the names of local people and which home grown food items they'd supplied to the restaurant that week. I nice touch I thought. There's also a Village Newsboard, with local news/ gossip on it and a large open fire place.

The menu had some lovely choices on it and I opted for the Mousakka, served with Greek salad and pita bread. It was delicious. Two others in our group had chicken with black pudding and blue cheese in a port sauce served with large, golden crunchy home made chips. The fourth person in our group had steak in red wine sauce. We all managed a lovely desert each too and were glad we'd skipped starters as we were all full by then! After our meal we were able to move to the bar area for a few 'night caps'.

The atmosphere in the pub was lively and the place was still fairly busy when we left at around 11.30pm. We'll certainly be making return visit.

• Visited August 2013
Newport, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best value around”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Really good pub food in a pub atmosphere. Friendly staff who are very attentive. Menu is simple but very effective. Value for money this has to be the best around. Nicely balanced atmosphere of local drinkers and diners. A real gem.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank DerekTheBrewer
“Excellent”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I came here with my husband and son on Mothering Sunday and honestly it was fantastic food! There was a great atmosphere with flowers given on the table as a gift. The food is simple but very delicious, with the prices being very reasonable. The service was excellent! With a brown and blonde haired girl working, the blonde haired young girl took our order and she was lovely. Very friendly, chatty and we gave her a good tip. With the brown haired girl also being helpful when we went into the pub. The atmosphere was welcoming and friendly, would definitely reccomend the lion as it is a family friendly pub with brilliant food.

• Visited March 2013