Lowest prices for your stay
£21
Hotels.com
Priceline
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 May 2012

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
This review is the subjective opinion of an individual traveller and not of Tripadvisor LLC nor of its partners. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews as part of our industry-leading trust & safety standards. Read our transparency report to learn more.
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We only stayed one night in Chiang Mai, but we really enjoyed our stay at this place. The room was large, clean, and comfortable, and a great value. The hotel is close to the night market and the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. I would stay here again.

Date of stay: April 2012
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank NanPan
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Nice rooms, clean and confortable. Bathroom ok, also clean.
Don´t have safe in the room.
Good location near enough the market but without the noise of it.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank ilandere
Reviewed 24 April 2012

If you pay rack rate for this hotel it is over priced at 2000 baht however they seem to have good promotions on their website and also other hotel booking sites have good prices.

The hotel rooms are clean and comfortable in a kind of normal hotel room way. There is nothing spectacular but you are not paying spectacular prices.

The hotel is in a great location for the night bazaar (2 min walk), which tourists seem to love, it's close to the river (5 or so min walk), and about an 8 minute walk up to the moat area. There are loads of restaurants and laundries and everything nearby so it really is a convenient place to stay. If you don't want to use taxi's you don't need to. If you do then they are close by.

Breakfast is a buffet breakfast and not super fantastic but it has cereals, toasts and croissants and your standard egg and sausage plus a selection of asian dishes, which are actually quite good.

Knowledge of local prices for taxi's by those at the front desk would be helpful instead of just saying I don't know and trying to edge people towards the in house tour company but that is probably the only disappointment I found.

Room tip: I chose a deluxe room and it had a nice big window looking out to the mountains around Chiang Mai with a (very) comfortable sofa to sit on and relax. I looked into a superior room and whilst it looked nice the view from a deluxe was better
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank BTTPres
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Following my review in August 2011 the hotel has now got a new owner and the hotel is currently undergoing renovation. It is also noted that the friendliness of the hotel has much improved overall.
During my last visit I stayed in one of the big spacious corner deluxe room which had a good view of Chiang Mai and on this occasion decided to stay in a Star Deluxe room. I must confess that I was a little disappointed that I was placed in a standard size room with little view of Chiang Mai, saying that the room had been fitted out to a modern standard which is not evident to other rooms in the hotel.
Standard of breakfast has not improved and I only ate their once during my stay. Having stayed in many hotels in the Chiang Mai area over the past 10 years I have found a few hotels who have provided a reasonable standard of breakfast.
As stated the hotel is currently under renovation the noise during my stay was very minimal except for around 30 minutes on one day where the noise was excessive but this not to say that this disrupt my stay at the hotel.
Will I return back to the hotel when I return back in 2013 the answer is yes.
Further email has been sent via hotel web site

• Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank witty92
Starhotel_CM, Manager at Star Hotel Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Thank you for your kind comments. We do apologize for any inconvenience that occurred. Star Hotel is in the process of improving our services and standard we do looking forward to welcome you again in a near future. Please feel free to contact us via our hotel website.