“Do the gibbon trek, but stay somewhere else”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cat Tien National Park
Cat Tien National Park Bungalows
Amsterdam
“Do the gibbon trek, but stay somewhere else”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Despite the bad reviews we stayed here, because we wanted to do the Gibbon Trek. We found out that it is not necesarry to stay in the park to do this trek and that there are better options nearby.

The rooms in the park are poorly maintained and terrible value for money with a rate of 580.00 Dong per night for a standard a/c room. For this price, you'll get a mosquito net full of holes and sheets with old blood stains in it. Even the small bottles of water in your room are not included in the room rate, which is quite pathetic. This wouldn't be that bad if the setting was really nice, but it isn't! There are lots of ugly concrete buildings, a paved road and very little forest at the park headquarters where this accommodation is located. It does not feel like you're in an National Park.

Furthermore, there are two reasonably pricee restaurants, both with poor quality food. The bigger one is best avoided for breakfast. We got very old bread with mould on it...

On the positive side, we did not have such a bad experiences with the staff. The girl at the reception was actually quite helpfull.

Allthough this is the only affordable option inside he park (Forest Lodge is the other one, but expensive), there are two alternatives nearby:

- Green Bamboo / River Lodge (despite seperate listings here, it's just one place): very basic bamboo huts on the river, with lots of open spaces (you're practically in the open air) and basic but decent brick bungalows, all without a/c. Setting and staff very nice. Located 3 minutes walk from the ferry crossing

- Green Hope. Better option than Green Bamboo, with clean bungalows, some with a/c. Nice river setting and helpfull staff. 10-15 walk minutes from the ferry crossing

Despite the above, there are also some advantages of staying in the park:

- You will get a 10USD per person discount on the Gibbon Trek (normal price 60 USD) per person

- You only pay entrance fee once for entering the park (40.000 Dong per person) and you can relax in your room between activities without needing to cross the river (which is only a minute) and walk to your accommodation.

The Gibbon Trek is a very nice experience and the visit to the Rehabilitation Centre afterwards is really informative. You can book it through the National Park Office or the organization which runs the centre, Go-East. See their website for details. The trekking starts at 5.00 am from the reception area at the park headquarters. Arrange an early boat crossing if you stay on the other side of the river (where Cat Tien Village is located). Do not expect to see the gibbons from close by as there are up in high trees and at the rehab centre you need to keep distance from their cages to prevent these lovely creatures from getting used to humans.

How to get there?

From HCMC take one of the hourly buses to Dalat. Phuong Trang is a reputable company, which conveniently has hourly sleeping busses leaving from De Tham Road, in the backpacker area of Bui Vien. It saves you a long trip to the bus station and costs on only 220.000 Dong. After about 4 hours, get off the bus at the junction in Tan Phu town and/or tell the driver to stop at Vuon Quoc Gia Cat Tien. From here it's a 45 minute xe-om ride to Cat Tien (we payed 120.00-130.000 Dong). Coming from the north, get off just before the town of Mandagui. To reach the park from Cat Tien Village, you can take the boat at the ferry crossing, which is included in the ticket price.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
17 Thank MarkyMAmsterdam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Grenoble, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Did stay many times there over 10 years. Just getting worst. Many poachers and a new dam have seriously damaged the wildlife.
Most Vietnamese comme here to drink with friends, surely not for the nature.
Result: trash every 50 m or so on all the main trails, and even worst, very loud karaoke most of the night near my bungalow: impossible to relax or sleep.
Many other issues, but ones that shocks me especially: discriminating prices for some visits (3 times more expensive for foreigners than for Vietnamese).
Unfortunately, the (unfriendly) staff is not willing to help. As long as you pay, they obviously totally do not care if you are having a bad time. Sad.
So, been there 10 times or more, but I will not come back.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Serviant

Travellers are raving about these Cat Tien National Park hotels

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed in the Gaur house of the park bungalows for the past few days. It was clean and had good wifi, hot water, and good beds, even TV but only Vietnamese channels of course. It was really more than I expected, and I was very pleased with my room and the staff. My room specifically was Gaur 7 - it's a bigger room than some of the others and on a corner and perhaps more updated, so I recommend this room. I also recommend hiring Duyen. - he is a park guide specializing in the birds. He took great care of me and spent much time showing me different areas of the park and identifying all the wildlife and plant species. The park restaurant is a bit greasy so I recommend bringing some healthy food and fruit with you.

Room Tip: Gaur 7 was my room. It is updated and bigger.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Bethbirdie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013 via mobile

At the end of a 5 day Easy Rider (motorbike) tour from Hoi An I was dropped off at Cat Tien National Park. Prior to my arrival I had exchanged many emails with Hai. She had reserved me a room and also booked me on the early morning Wild Gibbon Trek. She also explained to me the options for getting to Ho Chi Minh City once I left the park. All me emails were answered quickly and she was very flexible as I had to change my dates at least once. So all in all it was a very good first impression.

Upon arrival I was quickly checked in by a very helpful girl called Twee. My room was basic but clean with AC and a hot shower. It cost $27 which I think is overpriced but there are no other real options (or so I thought). I think the Forest Floor lodge is even more expensive (could be wrong). Apparently you can camp for much less on the grounds but not during the wet season. In order to get to the park you will be dropped off at a river crossing. You pay your entrance fee there and are then ferried across to where all the facilities and accommodations are located. I later found out there is a place to stay on the other side of the river (outside the park) for much less.

Within the accommodation area are 2 restaurants which offer ok food. Again back on the other side of the river, outside the park there are some local food options but you may have to pay to be ferried back over (not sure as I didn't try).

I was booked to do the Wild Gibbon Trek the morning after I arrived (Monday morning) It's a 4.45am start and I completely messed up my alarm and didn't wake up until after 5am! I was gutted. I spoke to Twee later that morning and she said she would try to book me again the following day (Tuesday) however it was already fully booked so I chose to stay 2 extra nights and do it on the Weds morning. As luck would have it someone cancelled for Tuesday so Twee came to find me and let me know I could do Tuesday (and therefore only needed one extra night).

For the rest of Monday morning I rented a bike and cycled through the park, it was very beautiful.

The fee for the Wild Gibbon Trek includes a tour of the Gibbon Rescue Center located on Monkey island. I visited the center on Monday afternoon. It doesn't take long but it's very interesting. You don't get very close to the gibbons they have there as they are trying to limit their contact with humans as the goal is to release as many as possible back into the wild. We saw several gibbons in enclosures and also one in the semi free area. It really provided some great background ahead of the trek.

On Tuesday morning (at my second attempt) I managed to get up for the trek. We were out for about 2 and a half hours and saw a male/female pair of gibbons as well as a silvered langur. It really was amazing as we we able to watch them for most of the time as they ate and played in the tree tops.

Twee had booked me on to a minibus to Ho Chi Minh City later that day which cost about $5. The minibus driver was pretty crazy (speeding, overtaking on blind spots etc) but I've heard that's typical. The other option is to get a motorbike taxi from the park to the nearest town and then catch a local bus (bigger and a bit slower).

There are several hikes you can do in the park but they all seem to require a guide. You can also head to Crocodile Lake (15km) fro. Park HQ and camp out.

I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 days at the park and think Hai and Twee provided excellent service.

When I first tried contacting them I found 2 email addressee. Ecotourism@cattiennationalpark.com did not work but namcattien@yahoo.com.vn worked fine.

If you have time this place is worth a visit.

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
18 Thank Anne L
Doncaster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

After a 6 hour bus journey not told exactly where we were going we arrived on a small village in pitch black clueless! Villagers try to sell food claiming none is available, then the room price was $36 for 3 people, the rooms are ok but I've stayed much better for $5, the restaurant further from the reception is the cheapest but still pricey, charged $15 per person for the taxi out, staff were rude and charged us for drinking the water which is in your room on arrival, just a big monopoly, there's no where else to go when you're there so they take advantage

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Woolypete
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

We travelled for five hours to get to the park to do the wild gibbon trek. Accomodation was ok. Not great, but what can you expect for the price, and the fact it is run by the national park, as apposed to a tourism operator. The gibbon trek was awesome though. We didn't see any gibbons, but the excitement and dedication of the guide was fabulous. It's nature and you never know your luck, but I think they are managing the tour itself quite well.
The lady at the desk said she would book our bus direct from the park to Saigon - nightmare - don't do it! I would highly recommend getting a taxi back to the main road and getting the big, official buses back to the city. Long story, but basically on an overloaded, not AC'd local bus that took two hours longer than it should, was filled with drinking, smoking locals, and then kicked us off the bus somewhere outside Saigon and shuffled us on to a publi bus where we had to pay again and had no idea where we were going. I get these experiences happen when you travel Asia, but the fact that the national park told us to get this bus, made I feel cheated and very disappointed.
Plus the lady that did my laundry didn't give me back all my clothes, bit disappointing when your travelling light an dryly on all the clothes you pack.
Wud only recommend a visit if you book the gibbon trek, but I think 1-2 days is plenty here.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank charliemc242
Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

We stayed at Forest Floor Lodge so cannot comment on the accommodation at the Park Headquarters but were disappointed with the park itself and the quality of the tours on offer by the park staff. It is a long journey to get to the park and we were expecting pristine forest but this is lowland forest and forest fringe vegetation. The bicycle tour was a joke, too long, bumpy and monotonous scenery. The night "safari" was a trip on the back of a vehicle with no cushioning on the seats, down the same path as the cycle tour to drop staff off after work. The river cruise was pleasant but apart from bird spotting, it was a non event and we never stopped at the local minority village which was part of the program and a part we were looking forward to as part of encouragement to local villages to move from snaring and poaching at the park to weaving and supporting tourist services. We were horrified by the so-called Bear Rehabilitation Centre which in our opinion should not be letting tourists see how they keep the bears in the afternoon in small cages. In contrast, the visit to the Primate Rehabilitation Centre started by Alison and Jim Cronin was informative and responsibly conducted, and the early morning Gibbon Tour was definitely the highlight of the visit. After all the clumsily conducted activities we had been subjected to, we thoroughly enjoyed the simplicity of the Gibbon Tour - waking early in the morning, walking through the dark forest with torches. waiting silently in hammocks as the forest awakened and absorbing the sounds of the birds and forest as the light seeped in and then the gibbons started callings, thereafter it was a quick walk to search for them and watch them for a few minute to complete the experience. It was very sensitively put together and I would give this tour a 5 star rating for the experience and recommend that visitors to Cat Tien National Park make sure that they book for this tour.

Room Tip: As mentioned, the primate rehab centre and the Gibbon Tour were good tours to select but if you are...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
#7 of 10 in Cat Tien National Park
Forest Floor Lodge
Forest Floor Lodge
#9 of 10 in Cat Tien National Park

Been to Cat Tien National Park Bungalows? Share your experiences!