Secret Spot International Backpackers and Surf Camp
Reviewed 25 June 2014

A great place to plug into the local environment, and strongly recommend a surf lesson with Charles - he is quiet and unassuming but knows what he is talking about. The owners extended every courtesy to me and other guests, including drinks with mates on one evening, and are otherwise just there to help. The rooms etc were all as expected of an upscale backpackers, and mammie is a classic.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank impi22

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We,(4 adults ,3 teenagers and a 5yr.old,) arrived at The Secret Spot not knowing what to expect.
The accommodation is wooden huts and dormitories with shared bathroom facilities.The two mums were a bit apprehensive about the showers and shared bathrooms but got used to it as the week went on.There is a fully equipped communal kitchen at one end of the swimming pool with an honesty bar at the other end.(there is a Tops bottle store at the local shopping centre (about 4kms away).
With plenty of room in the premises nobody gets on top on anyone else and if you like exploring there is a delightful Artisan bakery and a very good German butchery within kicking distance. The bakery is only open at the weekends and you need to be in the queue early to score their delicious croissants etc.
Mumsy and Cindy are always around and available to do your washing etc. when required.
(A decent tip is always appreciated .)
Dee is a wonderful unobtrusive hostess and was very helpful with the kids.
Charles knows the area very well ,having grown up there and if want to learn how to surf ..he's the man. He is in touch with all his surfing buddies and can tell you the night before or certainly early in the morning if there will be good surfing and where to go.
Just hope you have the weather we had and Charles takes you to the secret spot where there is a glorious beach and very decent surf.
We had one fabulous evening when there were a lot of guests and the pizza oven was fired up.
All in all a great week was had by all and there was plenty for the kids to do.
Thank you Dee and Charles,Cindy and Mumsy.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank BearDon
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This was my best choice for a surfing weekend traveling solo I could have made. I stayed in a surfing camps before, but this one was nothing to compare to - it felt really genuine and welcoming. The couple who runs it is really dedicated and made everything possible to make me feel comfortable. Moreover, the owner, Charles, is a surfer and a great surfing teacher - you can tell when you see his 11-old son surfing as a pro. I took 2 half day lessons and starting as a wacky beginner, I can now pick my own waves, stand up and surf them as I like (and I not really a sports talent). It has everything a back packer / surfing enthusiastist looks for, but just dont expect any luxury - it's clean, hip, homey and great value for money. One drawback was that my hut was located close to the main road so at night, I could hear the cars passing by occassionaly.

Room Tip: ask for one not close to the main road
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed at the Secret Spot International Backpackers and Surf Camp from the 21 - 22 Macrh 2014. The first thing that you notice about this place, is that it is very quiet. Then you notice that it is the perfect place to relax. The staff was friendly, the service was great, and we had a great time. I would recommend this place to travellers that are looking for a different vibe / atmosphere; that would like to get away from the hussle of city life. Easily one of the best backpackers I have been to.

Room Tip: Rooms are generally quiet, and surrounded by trees.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This was the second time I stayed at this place in 1,5 months time and it was awesome! The dormrooms are clean, the cabins are very cosy! There is a pool with an adjacent bar on one side and a braai area and large open kitchen (with roof) on the other side. A little bit further to the back there is a lounge area with a table tennis table. It is close to the beach, there is an ocean view from several places and the whole place looks like a lush tropical garden. Above all, the people are so incredibly friendly and welcoming! They are willing to help you with anything and are enthousiastic to teach anyone how to surf. So a pretty amazing place so stay, very relaxed, I wish I could stay there forever!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The first time I stayed here was in January 2014. Right from the moment you walk in the owners and staff make you feel at home and provide you with absolutely anything you may need. The place has very homely feel to it and is situated not even 5 minutes from the beach and is also very close to nice restaurants/bars. We had an amazing time here and as such I just had to come back for more! The second time round our stay was even better, we seriously had so much fun! Did surf lessons with Charlie (the owner) in Durban and also went snorkeling in one of the tidal pools in Ballito. I can honestly say that if you stay at the secret spot you'll have an awesome time!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I quite like staying in backpackers and have done so all over the world. I enjoy the price, the travelers and the atmosphere which you do not get in a hotel. This place though is quite shocking. I cannot believe that the last lot of reviews are real??? Poorly signposted, ramshackle entrance. The reception looked like a dump site. I asked the owner as there were literally all types of things just dumped on the floor, from clothes, to appliances to garden tools and she apologized and advised they had just taken over. She then wanted me to make payment immediately and I had red flags buzzing around in my head and asked to see the room first. Thank goodness I had not already paid the booking agent as the wooden cabin did not look like the photo on the internet. The door did not even have a handle but a padlock just like a shed??? This place was the worst I have ever seen and cannot believe it is advertised with booking agents ect.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank nataliekwazulunatal
Charles S, Owner at Secret Spot International Backpackers and Surf Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

We would like to respond to the review as we are sorely offended. The guest arrived late at night spent a total of 10 min on our premises and walked out.Her husband loved the place and wanted to stay .We do apologize for the untidy reception which was under revamp into a surf shop to which she was informed and is now complete.For someone to write a review without staying or even entering the accommodation and say that this is the worst she has ever seen is out of order.Come and judge for yourself.Thanks, The owner.