“A family restaurant at it's best !!”
Review of Don Tello

Don Tello
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Catano
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Took the ferry from old San Juan, across the bay , to tour the Bacardi Brewery. After the free drinks and free tour at Bacardi whopped in a van to return to the ferry. Noticing the it had just departed , I knew we had about 20 min. before the next. I noticed this very clean and modern eatery across the street. Thought the wife and I could grab another drink and maybe a snack. To our surprise we found a jewel. Ask the waiter for a suggestion of local fair. His recommendation was perfect. Tasty, prepared great, and presented well. The prices were more than fair and the service outstanding.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

You hop on the ferry in Old San Juan by the pier and for I think it was .50 cents you hop on a ferry to Catano (need a squiggly thing over "n") a short 10 minute ride. Don Tello will be slightly to your right as you exit the ferry landing. Extensive seafood menu. $5 Martini's (small) but yummy. Had some shrimp, creole, garlic shrimp and the whole Red Snapper. All delicious! The Tostones were, I'm not sure how to describe them but not for me. Even with the house hot sauce that I liked they were flat, no pun intended. Can't figure out what the big deal is about them. Ate outside on the deck and were very comfortable. Short ferry ride back into town.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We have been here before and decided to try it again while thinking of a place to eat fresh seafood. We took the ferry from Old San Juan for a very inexpensive ($0.50, or $0.25 for seniors),10 minutes ride. The restaurant is right across the street from the ferry station. We have always liked the food here. This time it was as good as usual, but the service was even better. The hostess went out of her way to find us a table we liked and to please us, and the waiters were also very friendly. My wife had the fish special (the whole chillo) while I had the filet de chillo a la criollas. Both were excellent!
Don Tello continues to be one of the best places in the San Juan area for seafood

Reviewed 21 December 2013

We just left. Horrible experience. What could be fix with a simple plate swtch turned into a nigthmare! I ordered combo navideño a typical puertorrican dish with roasted pork and it was rotten we tasted it and it was damaged. We told the waiter and he was very courteus offered to change my plate. But then came the manager and told me that the food was ok with a totally incorrect attitude! He was very rude and disrespectfull! Will never step foot in that place again!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

After visiting the Bicardi Factory, the bar tender recommended us visiting this restaurant for great food and because it was a quick drive. Luckily we had a GPS on our phones, because it was a little hard to find, but the land mark was the Ferry Station across the street. Setting is in a typical PR neighborhood, not the nicest, but I never expected that. It was hard to find parking, and when we pulled up and asked, to our surprise they valet your car for you at no charge!

We sat outside and our waitress was super nice. She joked with us and made good recommendations, also let us know about drink specials right away and was willing to give us separate checks (there were five of us).

The space was super clean and the bathroom was the CLEANEST one of any place we went in PR during out stay. They even had nice hand salts to scrub up with. The food was moderately priced and tasted great. We shared a bunch of appetizers which were all good. Food came out quickly. I really enjoyed this restaurant and felt relaxed in a real Puerto Rican location.

1  Thank Chelsy B