“Very Special” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 10 Kettlewell B&B and Inns
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Very Special”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Lizzie and Lawrence are the most welcoming and friendly hosts you will find. This, together with the little extra touches are what makes Pennycroft special - from the home baking (cake and biscuits available any time), the most wonderful breakfast with fresh fruit and the biggest and best full english I've seen to the open fire in the front room, dressing gowns and chocolates in your room. Guests enjoy their breakfasts while looking out onto the gorgeous garden with the added delight of the many birds which visit the bird feeders. Make sure you book well in advance to avoid disappointment.

Room Tip: The large room with ensuite overlooks the garden
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JED000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

What can I say?
As always we were looked after perfectly by Lizzie & Lawrence. They are the perfect hosts who can not do enough for you.
The breakfast is fantastic it is the biggest breakfast we have had in any bed & breakfast, it keeps you going all day!!
Thank you again to two fantastic people.
We have already booked to go back next year

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank halo02
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I'm only just back from a visit to The Yorkshire Dales last night and I had to write this review before I forgot any of the details. Because, details, especially the little ones are the ones that make a stay special. And Pennycroft is extra special.
To clear things up a little before I write this review, I have always, always wanted to go to The Dales. Work took me to Leeds on the Friday and so I jumped at the opportunity to take a trip to The Dales.
Basing my expectations purely on Emmerdale (awful, I know) I booked Pennycroft as it was one of the last places available and I thought "It'll do... Kettlewell looks a little small but I'll settle".
How wrong I was!
Kettlewell is truly beautiful... it really is an idyllic dream and Pennycroft is it's castle.
I'm greeted by a sign on the door that tells me the owners are in the garden, please come through the gate to find us. Lizzie (the owner) greets me like she's known me all my life, directs me to a parking space and then ushers us inside. She explains that her and her husband (a fat grumpy Yorkshire man - her words, not mine... and he's neither, he's very charming) live 2 doors down, so essentially the B&B is a little share house with only 2 bedrooms so we can make tea, have cake, sit on front of the fire and drink our own wine as we please. They will come in each morning and make breakfast but there's no set time... anytime before 10ish and we can choose what we want to eat in the morning. She understands you might change your mind over the course of the evening.
She shows us upstairs to the most beautiful bedroom, with a large window seat looking onto their equally beautiful garden. There's a rocking chair, a pretty double bed and a surprisingly large modern bathroom. Lizzie has thought of everything.... shampoos, body lotions, hair dryer & binoculars to watch the wildlife from the window. There's also a tin of homemade biscuits beside the bed.... honestly, it's like she knows me. I did nibble on them when I stumbled in from the Blue Bell pub later that night.
Breakfast is just a treat, fresh berries, juices and I recommend the smoked salmon & scrambled egg on the bagel. The smoked haddock comes with added approval also. You eat it all in the sitting room in the viewing company of the ducks, the pheasants and the cat out in the garden.

When we were leaving I didn't have any cash so Lizzie told me to do a transfer when I got back home!!!!! Imagine!! I think that is just indicative of the type of people they are. I honestly cannot say enough about Pennycroft and Kettlewell ... it's like you can't have one without the other. Thank You Lizzie and Lawerence, you are amazing hosts and we'll be back, I hope for that more than anything.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank SpinsterT
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

My husband and I only spent one night at Pennycroft, but came away feeling almost like family friends! Lizzie and Lawrence are superb hosts and make their guests feel at home. The thoughtful little touches, including home made cake, chocolates and fresh fruit, show that they love what they do and want guests to feel welcome. We'll certainly be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in the garden room which is self explanatory. We spent some time watching a variety of int...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mlynned
Lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

We have been many times to Pennycroft and are NEVER disappointed with the friendliness and the hospitality of the owners Lizzie and Lawrence. The breakfasts and all of the fresh cakes and biscuits are plentiful , the B&B is in a wonderful location with fantastic views and some nice pubs across the road. The view from the breakfast table looking out at the wildlife in the garden is very relaxing with lots off different bird having their breakfast on the bird feeder and table. When you come back after being out they have a nice open fire in the lounge were you can sit and relax with a cuppa and a slice of fresh homemade cake, what more can anyone want. Thank you both for a fab 3 day break .

Room Tip: Garden room great views up the valley and garden. Stay for more than 1 night .
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

The owners at Pennycroft could not do do enough to help us, coffee's and cakes on arrival, enjoyed relaxing in front of the log fire, pub is 30 seconds away, OUTSTANDING breakfast the next morning, all local produce. Fresh as a daisy. The one negative thing about my trip to Pennycroft was not booking in for two nights.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

I happened upon this delightful B&B a few years ago whilst working an unusually quiet night shift as a paramedic. My intentions were to take my wife out for a romantic weekend away in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales. The weekend completely surpassed expectations! The village is beatiful and friendly and the scenery is amazing! But most of all, the greatest pleasure was the hospitality from Lizzie and Lawrence! From the amazing breakfasts to the lovely cakes and biscuits, they really could not do enough for you! We shall be returning there soon for our 7th consecutive year!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kettlewell
The Buck Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hawkswick
Langcliffe House B&B
Langcliffe House B&B
#6 of 10 in Kettlewell

Been to Pennycroft Guest House? Share your experiences!