“Very welcoming hosts offering attractive modern rooms”

Hotel Restaurant L'Ayguelade
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bielle
Reviewed 26 February 2013

A pleasure to find such a modern, well-equipped and immaculate room at the edge of a rather remote and "wild" part of France where visitors should take one of the many back roads into high-elevation Basque country. The owners of L'Ayguelade are very welcoming and well-organized as well and offer a high quality breakfast, which made us regret having driven back to Pau for dinner Only regret is that we didn't eat at L'Ayguelade instead of driving into Pau to dine at the ridiculously overrated restaurant Chez Ruffet.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Restaurant L'Ayguelade

Reviewed 17 September 2012

My wife and I stayed at L'Ayguelade for two nights as part of a touring holiday in the Pyrenees. Our room was clean and comfortable and the food to a good standard; we would recommend the half board (demi-pension) arrangement as of offering very good value for money. Set just north of the town of Laruns, the hotel is in an excellent location for touring this most beautiful part of the region.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ivan W
Reviewed 16 September 2012

This hotel is situated in a very nice area near Pyrenees national park, it is a very calm and relaxed environment, and the nature around is beautiful. There is also a good wifi in the room.

We've arrived later than expected due to a problem with motorbike, we did call and notified them though - still we felt a bit of cold attitude because of the late arrival. Everything was closed already, no place anywhere around to eat or drink (and it was just 10pm) - shoking after Spain. The room itself was OK, but bathroom only had a curtain to separate 1/3 of it for showering and a shower there.
Overall, it is a nice hotel, but maybe not for our kind of trip (it was a motorcycle trip around Iberia).

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 August 2012

A small family run guest house in the middle of the High Pyrenees region of South Western France. A region I only found by accident on my way from the Atlantic coast to the Mediterranean popping in via Lourdes. And yet one that made a huge impact on me. It's beautiful and very quiet......but then I like quiet.
The Hotel and restaurant of L'Aguelade at first seemed incidental to the main purpose of my visit but it turned out to be a little gem set in amongst the magnificent surrounding peaks and I'm glad that I found it.
The rooms are designed to be a bit 'trendy' where I would have preferred something more traditional but nevertheless perfectly comfortable and clean...wth free wifi and a tv.
The restaurant was excellent...well cooked traditional fare but with a modern twist. Not expensive either, very good value.
The family and staff were welcoming and helpful and made me feel that my stay should have been longer.
Whilst there I suggest that you take a drive up the local 'col' a couple of kilometres away but 1,000's of metres up..... ( the name eludes me but it was called "Marie Blanc"...it wasn't even on my satnav ! ) ...whilst up there have a drink or a crepe in the highest cafe I have ever found....it was a most unexpected pleasure. Plus being a stables , if you have kids, they can go for a ride amongst the sound of tinkling of cow bells...being virtually the only noise in this area of outstanding natural beauty.
This is a relaxing hotel in which to stay - to eat and sleep well.... and you can soon walk off those extra calories. My overall opinion was that this is great place well off the beaten track to visit.
As a post script to a previous reviewer's comments is that my experience after 5 weeks travelling in France was to avoid the coffee and drink the hot chocolate !

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We frequently stay in Logis de France, in which you can expect a certain standard of accommodation and meals but also individuality, because they are independently owned. Our room was in the modern annexe, on the first floor, with an outside staircase, which was wet during much of our stay because of the weather and difficult for me, as I use a stick and didn't want to hold onto the wet railing. The hotel owner is professional but the opposite of effusive. We were only able to dine in the restaurant twice during our 4-night stay because it is closed for two consecutive evenings a week in June. The dinners we had from the choice of menus were of excellent quality and beautifully presented. The breakfasts were disappointing: a basket of bread, croissant and a mini pain au chocolat each, but no choice of jams or juices. A pot of natural yoghurt which one of us doesn't like, was offered at table. There were pots of apple compote if you looked for them, but not every day, and a limited choice of cereals, eg of a chocolate variety for children. Our room was a good size, although the second, smaller double bed reduced the floor space and would have made it difficult for 3 or more to share the room. Only one comfortable and one hard chair were provided and the television was small and high on the wall. The lavatory was separate from the bathroom, a good point when a room is shared. I couldn't help noticing that the skirting boards and ledges were quite dusty. The bathroom was quite large, with two basins and I was delighted to see that there were two large drawers under each, because hotel rooms usually have inadequate space for toilet bags and toiletries. What I was unprepared for was to find that they were filthy. Judging from the hairs and dirt, we could see that they had been used but never cleaned. I had to clean myself before I used one. We noticed that, as well as employing a cheery (but none too thorough!), cleaner Madame Latigue was cleaning windows herself herself one morning. It would be a good idea for hotel owners to inspect their rooms themselves to see whether they are clean.

Room Tip: If staying in a season or location where the weather is likely to be poor, check access to the room...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Soniaandhenry
Reviewed 12 July 2012

The L'Ayguelade provided us with a very nice stay once we crossed the border from Spain. The accommodation is very clean and modern (with ensuite, wifi, television), and while we actually had our dinner in Laruns on the way into Bielle, the restaurant looked very popular and we wish we had ate there instead. We agree with the recent reviewer’s comments about breakfast though, because we had hoped for more than simply bread and croissant (there was not even a selection of jams or spreads – and unlike the earlier reviewer, we did not get a yoghurt)), and the coffee was fairly plain (we thought the French loved their coffee!).

The accommodation is right on the main road through the Pyrenees, but it was very quiet and we heard no traffic noise. It was a nice setting nestled in the Pyrenees, especially with the rolling fog and low-lying cloud.

Other than improvements to the breakfast, it was a very nice stay in the Pyrenees.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2011

This is a family hotel. It is not a big chain so it doesn't have the most modern facilities. But I would highly recommend it to anyone that wants to experience rural France and as a point from which to explore the Atlantic Pyrenees. The service was excellent, the food very good indeed and the hotel is very clean and efficiently run. The price is also very reasonable. It would be a good place to cycle from as there are some significant Cols nearby (Aubisque, Marie Blanc etc).

• Stayed: August 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bielle
Hotel des Eaux-Bonnes
#1 of 3 in Laruns
Hotel de l'Ours
Hotel de l'Ours
#1 of 1 in Arette

Been to Hotel Restaurant L'Ayguelade? Share your experiences!