“A little Sliver of Paradise”

Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo Eco Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Masatepe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I took my husband on a surprise holiday for his birthday to Nicaragua.. and after much research I decided on this little Eco Lodge.. it was a perfect choice. The Lodge is beautifully situated over looking the Masaya lake and volcano... we even experienced an earthquake to add to the excitement.. nothing to worry about! What makes a vacation memorable is the experience.. and this one sure outdid itself.. The owner, JC and his manager Lionel are very hands on.. and go out of their way to make sure that your stay is everything you would expect. The staff is so helpful and quick to please.. Food is excellent and the flavors are wonderful.
Our casita was clean, comfortable and best of all had a sit out so if we needed some private relaxing time we could hang out there on the easy chairs and the hammock. The beds are comfortable and that was good.
Nicaragua is a beautiful unspoilt country . We appreciated the guidance and the help we got from Lionel as to where to go and where to eat good authentic Nicaraguan food.
Our suggestion to JC which we hope he is going to do... is please make sure that the directions are very clear on how to get to the Lodge.. The turn off at the Bus Station has now become one way.. so one can't turn there.. and to find the bus terminal itself is a challenge... The next big problem is that there is no sign for the hotel at the "rock passage" as I like to call it.. the natural reaction of the driver is to turn right as the cobbled road goes up .. no one would think that the path going through the rocks leads anywhere.. this is where we got lost and stayed lost for nearly an hour as we kept getting contradictory directions.. we didnt have a local phone so we couldn't call the hotel.. finally we just drove back to the main turn off from the road and called on our US phone and someone from the hotel came to guide us the last 1.5km !!
Other than the confusing directions... This is the place to stay at if you are visiting Nicaragua and want to have a restful, comfortable and enjoyable holiday.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travellovertx59

Reviewed 10 April 2014

We spent a weekend here recently and were SO glad we did. The property is amazing, and it really does seem to be perched at the "door to the heavens." The grounds were immaculate, and the casitas are private, clean and nicely decorated. The common spaces are welcoming and have beautiful views. Every meal was delicious and beautifully presented, and the mojitos are the best in all Nicaragua.JC and Leonel were helpful and available, and full of stories and suggestions. They even took us and some staff in to town one night to a local music club which we might not have done on our own, but thoroughly enjoyed. We appreciated JC's concern for the welfare of his staff as well as for our enjoyment.We would LOVE to return one day, and would highly recommend this property to friends (and fellow trip advisor users.)

1  Thank JoodeSanDiego
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The people, the food, and the view......ahhhhh. The owner, JC, and his assistant, Lionel are absolutely wonderful. They and the entire staff were all very attentive, friendly, helpful, and fun! I was traveling with a very social group and we enjoyed all the other travelers and staff. If you want time to yourself, there is plenty of cozy areas to "chill" or read a book with the ambiance being beyond words.
The food was fresh and fabulous. Many pictures were taken of the beautifully prepared dishes. We enjoyed the volcano tour and the zip-lining was great!
The pool was just the right temperature and they had very comfortable gravity lounge chaises.
I actually found out that I was short 2 days of medicine and JC made an outstanding effort to provide them for me. I was so appreciative of his sincere concern and action.
I cannot imagine having any better place to enjoy a vacation!
Suzan USA

Room Tip: My friend and I had a regular room, which was the closest to the dining/bar area. Right outside of...
Reviewed 4 April 2014

What a tremendous trip! I've done many cruises, trips to Costa Rica and Europe, and this was hands down the best! The staff were so very attentive to each of us and our needs and desires. I really liked the fact that the capacity of the Hacienda is only 22. We enjoyed meeting and talking with people from New York, San Diego and Canada. The feeling of family was paramount. Leonel and JC are always available for information and explanations of their beloved country of Nicaragua. The view from anywhere at the Hacienda is breath taking. I often just stared at the beauty of the volcano, hills, lagoon and flowers and plants there. I think this is the closest I've ever been to heaven! Leaving for a tour was a tough decision. It often met we would miss a meal, and they were something to behold.! Each and every meal was fantastically delicious, and the presentation gorgeous!! For example, when rice was served with the meal, it wasn't just plopped on the plate (like it is at my house!), it is put in a flower mold and then emptied onto the plate. Beautiful!! I would definitely go back there in a heartbeat!

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Just returned from several days at the Hacienda. JC and his staff were wonderful. very accommodating and completely personalized service. Leonel took us on tours each day of the surrounding area -- including Granada and nearby volcanoes,. Great combination of outdoor adventure and luxury accommodations. The food at Hacienda was incredible!

Room Tip: Casa Linda is wonderful -- great view with wonderful patio and direct access to the pool.
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Words can't express how incredible this place is, but I'll try.. From start to end, we were pampered at the Hacienda Puerta del Cielo, a.k.a. PARADISE!

Leonel (an Hacienda staff member) greeted us at the airport with a personalized sign and a warm smile. During our drive to the Hacienda, we learned a bit about the government, agriculture, and daily life in Nicaragua. Leonel is a wealth of knowledge and has great spirit.

When we stepped out of the van, our jaws dropped. Yes, the pictures are amazing. But seeing those views in person is even better. The Hacienda is beyond beautiful. The casitas, pool, lounge, bar, hammocks, and dining area are all lovely and comfortable.

The food is fantastic! Rather than walking through a buffet line and looking at food prepared for hundreds of people like most all-inclusive resorts, the Hacienda serves each meal to their guests. The tables are nicely set and the courses are brought out fresh. It's obvious they take pride in their meals, because every single one was delicious and beautifully prepared! We were invited into the kitchen one afternoon and helped make enchiladas for lunch :)

The drinks are delish and always available. From the stocked fridge in your casita, to the attentive bartenders, you will never go thirsty. Try a Laguna Sucia - a tropical juice with spiced rum! JC, is it officially on the menu?

I had the most amazing full-body massage at the Hacienda. Everything was set up on the deck of my casita. I thoroughly enjoyed the sounds of nature mixed with the light music while Katherine worked out all my kinks and left me feeling extremely relaxed.

The excursions were a lot of fun. The Masaya Volcano tour was very interesting. We learned about the land and history of the cities surrounding Masatepe. After visiting the volcano, we had a great time shopping in the city center.

When I heard the Hacienda sponsors a local preschool, as a teacher, I was eager to find out if we could visit the school. They were more than happy to let us visit and play with the kiddies for a bit. The children were adorable and so appreciative of their new classroom materials.

The Mombacho Cloud Forest and Zip Lining was insanely fun! Before lift off, they offer delicious, complimentary coffee and tell you about the plantation. Then you're given a glide demonstration by the guide (this was helpful, as I was a first timer). The guides are very experienced and keep you safe as you swing from tree to tree. The cloud forest is incredibly beautiful- I could've played Tarzan all day.

The Hacienda Puerta del Cielo blew us away on every level. The owners, JC and Linda, went above and beyond to help us prepare for the trip and accommodate our wants and needs during our stay. Adrian, Erick, Oscar, Richard, Katherine, Karla, Helen, Sayonara, thank you! We are truly grateful to have met such wonderful people and hope to return to this paradise.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

I truly cannot say enough about the resort, staff, and location. I went with my friend, and from the moment we got there we had a fantastic time--thanks to resort. First, it's in a gorgeous location and the casitas are perfect! The tours are so well done and Lionel does a great job. The food is delicious with a diffident meal every night (thank you Carla!) Not to mention, the entire staff is so warm and welcoming. They even took us dancing one night! The great vibe comes from the owners, JC and Linda, who are gracious and attentive hosts. I would highly recommend this resort if you want a great experience.
Thank you so much JC, we had such a wonderful time!

Room Tip: Any casita
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Masatepe
Jicaro Island Ecolodge Granada
#2 of 4 in Isletas de Granada
Hotel Contempo
Hotel Contempo
#12 of 50 in Managua

Been to Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo Eco Spa? Share your experiences!