“Exceptional hospitality.”

Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo Eco Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Masatepe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 June 2014

People say that the best way to visit another country is by staying with the locals. Staying at the Hacienda feels no more and no less like staying with old friends. I will say that the food was delicious and healthy, the casitas clean and comfortable, and the pool refreshing, but the hospitality truly makes this a unique resort. Our host JC, his wife Linda, and the staff (Lionel, Ricardo, and others) treated us like family.

For example, they always made us feel safe on our excursions. Including me, our party had a total of three single women travelers, and this was my first time in Latin America. On every excursion, they accompanied us without being intrusive. Ricardo even helped me make change in Cordobas (local currency).

In addition, the staff knew the best local tours and bars. They arranged day trips to Grenada, a boat tour on Lake Nicaragua, a hike to Mombacho Cloud Forest, and also a visit to an active volcano. JC personally took us to a local bar and introduced us to the Nicaraguan beer.
JC himself picked us up at Managua airport, where he briefed us on Nicaraguan history and politics.

Visiting HDPC is unlike staying at an impersonal hotel where the traveler must arrange everything on her own, without knowing anything about her host country. All I had to worry about during my stay was literally what to eat and drink.

These people will stop at nothing to ensure your comfort. JC booked a massage appointment. While I was late for my appointment, JC told me to not to rush through lunch. On my last day, I lost my cell phone, and was told the staff searched through every vehicle.

Through JC and staff, I felt I got to know the heart and soul of Nicaragua. Please come and allow HDPC to show you the wonder and beauty of this country.

Room Tip: All the Casitas were amazing
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank stwfang
There are newer reviews for Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo Eco Spa

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I had an amazing time at Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo. I spent four nights there in June of 2014, and it was perfect!! I went with two other friends, and we all absolutely loved the resort and our time there. We were the only guests at the resort at the time, and the owner (JC) and the staff (especially, but not only, Richard, Lionel, and Oscar) showered us with attention and really made our trip special. Linda, JC's wife, also was super helpful in helping us plan our trip. We did all of the excursions the resort offered - to Masaya Volcano, to Granada, and to Mombacho Cloud Forest, and loved them all. I highly recommend doing all of the tours. They are well worth the money. We also enjoyed spa treatments and lying by the pool. The resort is all-inclusive, and the food is phenomenal - everything they fed us was delicious (and healthy)! While we loved everything, some of the highlights were JC and the staff taking us to see some local things in the town of Masetepe we would not have known about had he not told us. He took us to a local bar which was filled with locals, not tourists. It was great to get off the tourist path and experience this. He also took us to a local festival and parade, which was a true highlight of our trip. Due to him and Lionel, we felt like we really learned about the history and culture of Nicaraugua. Lionel also took us to visit the local school, which was another highlight of our trip. Oscar was patient and wonderful at practicing Spanish with us, and Richard was a wonderful tour guide (as was Lionel). i could not recommend this resort more highly. We stayed in a casita which was great! Also, we had the hotel pick us up and drop us off at the airport, which made the trip very easy - definitely recommend that. (The hotel might be hard to find otherwise).

Room Tip: The casitas were great
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Meg492
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Just got back from a 4 day trip to the Hacienda and I wish I was still there! We booked this hotel because of the good reviews on Tripadvisor and it did not disappoint. This place lives up to the 5 star reviews. We booked a Casita, which I highly recommend. They are very private, with an outdoor shower and a hammock on the patio. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and thankfully had good air conditioning.
The staff at the Hacienda is top notch! Great service, fantastic food and drinks (mojitos were awesome), and fun tours. All around, we had an excellent time and I would love to return next year.
As for the tours, we took the volcano tour and the Grenada tour, both given by Lionel. He was a great tour guide and also very funny. Lionel is very knowledgable about any and everything in Nicaragua, I really enjoyed speaking with him. My girlfriend also got a massage and facial one day, they set it up on the patio of our casita and she said it was great.
The views from the property were so beautiful.. I could sit in those hammocks all day drinking my mojitos and just take it all in. I really appreciated that this place is off the beaten path, so you are truly surrounded by nature and peace and quite.
I also want to mention that at no time did I ever feel even slightly unsafe or that there was any element of danger. Yes, Nicaragua is a poor country, but the people were very nice and quite friendly.

Room Tip: I recommend booking a casita
4  Thank Dan O
Reviewed 25 April 2014

For our Honeymoon we started our trip at Hacienda Puerta, between the views, the pool, the staff and the seclusion this resort is not to be missed if you are visiting Nicaragua.

1. We were the only people at the resort for two of nights we stayed, which meant we had the entire place to ourselves, the staff was super attentive, as well as warm and welcoming.

2. The food was great, every single morning and night. Serving simple local dishes and fresh rum drinks.

3. Our room, Casa Linda, was immaculate and beautifully designed & decorated. Doors surround the exterior which are screened to allow the breeze to flow through for a comfortable night sleep. (AC is also provided, but we didn't need it)

4. The pool - our room had a private pool entrance - we spent so much time floating around the "lazy river" style pool that surrounds the rear side of the resort. The view of the lagoon and volcano is amazing from here, especially at sunset.

5. The tours - a bit pricer then most tours we saw in Nicaragua but our tour guide, Lionel, more then made up for the cost. He took us to not only on the described tour but added little side trips that only locals visit. Too boot, JC (the owner) took us out one night in Masatepe to a local water hole where we had beers with a few employees and the locals. Nicaraguans are quite possibly the most friendly people I have meet in LATAM.

6. If you do stay here - the resort sponsors a local primary school so bring some pencils, crayons, notebooks and school supplies for the children. We got to meet the teacher Ruth and deliver them personally.

JC - Meg and I miss your private retreat already and hope that we get a chance to revisit soon.

1  Thank eddymac76
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I took my husband on a surprise holiday for his birthday to Nicaragua.. and after much research I decided on this little Eco Lodge.. it was a perfect choice. The Lodge is beautifully situated over looking the Masaya lake and volcano... we even experienced an earthquake to add to the excitement.. nothing to worry about! What makes a vacation memorable is the experience.. and this one sure outdid itself.. The owner, JC and his manager Lionel are very hands on.. and go out of their way to make sure that your stay is everything you would expect. The staff is so helpful and quick to please.. Food is excellent and the flavors are wonderful.
Our casita was clean, comfortable and best of all had a sit out so if we needed some private relaxing time we could hang out there on the easy chairs and the hammock. The beds are comfortable and that was good.
Nicaragua is a beautiful unspoilt country . We appreciated the guidance and the help we got from Lionel as to where to go and where to eat good authentic Nicaraguan food.
Our suggestion to JC which we hope he is going to do... is please make sure that the directions are very clear on how to get to the Lodge.. The turn off at the Bus Station has now become one way.. so one can't turn there.. and to find the bus terminal itself is a challenge... The next big problem is that there is no sign for the hotel at the "rock passage" as I like to call it.. the natural reaction of the driver is to turn right as the cobbled road goes up .. no one would think that the path going through the rocks leads anywhere.. this is where we got lost and stayed lost for nearly an hour as we kept getting contradictory directions.. we didnt have a local phone so we couldn't call the hotel.. finally we just drove back to the main turn off from the road and called on our US phone and someone from the hotel came to guide us the last 1.5km !!
Other than the confusing directions... This is the place to stay at if you are visiting Nicaragua and want to have a restful, comfortable and enjoyable holiday.

1  Thank travellovertx59
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We spent a weekend here recently and were SO glad we did. The property is amazing, and it really does seem to be perched at the "door to the heavens." The grounds were immaculate, and the casitas are private, clean and nicely decorated. The common spaces are welcoming and have beautiful views. Every meal was delicious and beautifully presented, and the mojitos are the best in all Nicaragua.JC and Leonel were helpful and available, and full of stories and suggestions. They even took us and some staff in to town one night to a local music club which we might not have done on our own, but thoroughly enjoyed. We appreciated JC's concern for the welfare of his staff as well as for our enjoyment.We would LOVE to return one day, and would highly recommend this property to friends (and fellow trip advisor users.)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoodeSanDiego
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The people, the food, and the view......ahhhhh. The owner, JC, and his assistant, Lionel are absolutely wonderful. They and the entire staff were all very attentive, friendly, helpful, and fun! I was traveling with a very social group and we enjoyed all the other travelers and staff. If you want time to yourself, there is plenty of cozy areas to "chill" or read a book with the ambiance being beyond words.
The food was fresh and fabulous. Many pictures were taken of the beautifully prepared dishes. We enjoyed the volcano tour and the zip-lining was great!
The pool was just the right temperature and they had very comfortable gravity lounge chaises.
I actually found out that I was short 2 days of medicine and JC made an outstanding effort to provide them for me. I was so appreciative of his sincere concern and action.
I cannot imagine having any better place to enjoy a vacation!
Suzan USA

Room Tip: My friend and I had a regular room, which was the closest to the dining/bar area. Right outside of...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Masatepe
Jicaro Island Ecolodge Granada
Madera's Inn
Madera's Inn
#3 of 5 in Masaya
Real InterContinental Managua at Metrocentro Mall

Been to Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo Eco Spa? Share your experiences!