“Good but overpriced ”

The Shortmarket Club
Ranked #85 of 2,882 Restaurants in Cape Town
Price range: US$4 - US$21
Description: Classic dishes with a South African twist. In an industrial 1920's "members-only club" inspired space where everyone is welcome
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We decided to book for the 4 course lunch special and had to pay R500 when booking. The menu was R280 plus R55 for a carafe of white or R100 for red. The restaurant is beautiful and oldy worldy but was quiet - 4 other tables with 2 of them choosing the special. The staff were extremely friendly and efficient (that is except Nick, who should be kept away from diners or learn to smile) We loved the theatrical tuna starter which was delicious and also the strawberry dessert. Fish main was OK. There are too many fantastic restaurants in Cape Town to return to this overpriced one.

Reviewed 12 September 2018

expensive, but creative dishes and wonderful flavors. great atmosphere. fabulous wine. great, knowledgable waiters. would definitely recommend. the tuna appetizer was amazing. our table got a variety of fish dishes for entrees, and they were all amazing! desserts were also exquisite. highly recommend!

Reviewed 11 September 2018

The decor and atmosphere here is really lovely, it was a cold wet evening and we had a booth table which was very comfortable with a central light so you could see your food properly. We all decided to have the tasting menu with wine pairing, 2 regular and 1 vegetarian. I particularly enjoyed the serving ideas for the sambals ( a black river pebble) and during the course of the meal there were some really lovely ceramic plates used.The service is very efficient and good and we had up to 4 people informing us of each dish/wine etc. This however was found to be quite irritating by one of our group, so if you don't like being interrupted you may not like the attentive service. The taste menu had a fantastic air of surprise and exploration, I also think that none of us were expecting to feel full and satisfied by the taste sensations and pairings but when we were , it came as a bonus!
The tastes that stood out were the crispy pig cheek, the roasted carrot and the tandoori cauliflower. I was disappointed that the dessert was the rhubarb crumble and not a mini chocolate fondant, but that does not detract from the delicious crumble.
A great experience , however........the prices are absolutely outrageous!! Especially the wine mark up. The veg tasting menu is R 1230 with wine and without R730, that's almost R75/ small tasting glass!! I get that one is buying into the whole taste/pairing experience but this is taking it too far, especially as I found the actual pairing choices quite average and certainly very subjective!
We were treated by an overseas friend but I certainly would not recommend this to locals looking for value for money, no matter how much fun it is!

Reviewed 8 September 2018

We came here for dinner the first night of our honeymoon, and honestly, it was one of the best meals we've ever had. We were one of the first tables to arrive, and one of the last to leave, because the food was so exquisite that we lingered and savoured every mouthful. The tasting menu with wine pairing is exceptional, one of the best gastronomic experiences I've ever had. And our waiter, Storm, was a prince; not only did he offer first-class service for the whole evening, when he heard we were interested in visiting wineries, he made us a list of recommendations (most of which we visited, all of which were excellent). I cannot recommend Shortmarket Club highly enough.

1  Thank Tanya D
Reviewed 30 August 2018

The restaurant is in a vibey setting on Shortmarket street. I think that there are far better restaurants with better value in Cape Town. This restaurant is probably pushed to tourists with dollars and pounds. The food is good but the menu has very limited options. The portions are small except for the rhubard crumble dessert which was a decent size. But the big negative is the price. It is way overpriced and I did not feel I got value. It did not blow me away like other restaurants in the same range have done, in CT. And to pay R310 for a fillet steak is pushing it to say the least. I won't be back.