“Relaxing, Quiet, and Unforgettable”

Wyndham Reef Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East End
Cypress, California
“Relaxing, Quiet, and Unforgettable”
Reviewed 15 August 2011

My family and I stayed at The Reef for 7 days and when we arrived our room was on the second floor. We asked to be moved to the bottom floor so that we could have access to the beach from our room and we were moved the very next day. If you stay at the reef I highly recommend to request a room on the bottom floor for the view and ease of access to the beach.
The hotel is on the East End of the island, on the opposite side of busy George Town but still has a beach with great marine life so be sure to bring your own snorkeling gear and a water camera to capture great photos and memories. The hotel will rent out snorkeling gear, but if you need to rent a water camera I recommend Cathy Church's Camera shop on S. Church Street inside the Sunset Hotel. (Pick up a free copy of Activity Guide at car rental places or inside stores for tons of coupons including 10% off water cameras)
The Barefoot Bistro inside the hotel is decent but overpriced. Expect dinner prices for lunch. I had coconut shrimp appetizer and a fish wrap, and I would recommend them both.
There hotel has 6 different turtle nests on the beach and on our last day we were able to see baby turtles hatch and we even got to pick one up and place it near the water and watch it swim away.
At night the hotel has live music where guests can eat and outdoors or have a drink at the outdoor bar. The guests are mature and keep to themselves so its a safe atmosphere for children and parents to enjoy.
If you enjoy relaxing in uncrowded quiet beaches with lots of space to explore then you will truly appreciate The Reef Resort for its beautiful beach front properties, and quiet and spacious beaches.

Room Tip: Request a room on the bottom floor to have access to the beach from your room.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2011

The Reef left me 'hot and cold'. Some aspects were great - like the beach and the room, while others were not so good - like the service and the food. The staff, with a couple of exceptions, are surly and contrary. It seems that if you are not interested in buying a timeshare, they have no use for you. We stayed from August 7-13, 2011.
The Resort: We chose the Reef because of its location - we wanted to be as far from 7-mile beach as possible. For tranquility alone, the resort did not disappoint.
The Good: The rooms (we had a 1-bedroom) - very spacious with an awesome view. The beach glorious - lots of space, shade and chairs available. The water was not as 'clean' as I prefer - lots of seaweed and 'grassy' areas - not many sandy spots. Difficult to walk in and out of the water because of the rocks.
The Bad: The service is terrible - they add 15% to your bill automatically so really, what do they have to work for? The food was average at best - my greek salad whose description indicated cucumbers and tomotoes, contain 0 cucumber and exactly 2 pieces of tomato. The salmon ordered for supper was overcooked and inedible.
The Concierge staff made you feel like you were disturbing them. Not very accommodating. We wanted to rent a scooter (my friend rides a Harley), and we were told that it was a very bad idea! We did anyways and it was great! We had no problems and felt safe at all times. They charge $10 round-trip each for the shuttle into town (45 min drive) but to go to Rum Point which is a 15 min drive, they charged us $45! Ouch!

The Island: Our 5 full days...
Day 1 was spent at the Resort - see above.
Day 2 we took the shuttle into town and rented a scooter for 2 days. Went to cemetary beach - a disappointment as it was supposed to be a great place to snorkel - we could barely see our knees in the water. 7-mile beach was lovely but nothing special. Our day was saved when we went to Smith's Cove (or Smith Barcadere) - GORGEOUS - a must see!
Days 3 and 5 we spent at Rum Point - LOVED IT. Wonderful snorkeling, free beach chairs, showers and restrooms, restaurant and bar, gift shop - all at you fingertips!
Day 4 we took an excursion with Captain Bryan to the Barrier Reef and Stingray City. Can't go to GC and not do Stingray City! Very cool.

By accident we stopped at Tukka Restaurant for supper one night (east end - Gun Bay) - FANTASTIC!

All in all, I'd probably not go back to GC because there are so many other places I haven't been BUT if I did return, I would not stay at the Reef - I'd stay in Rum Point.

Happy Travels

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
11 Thank Lina F
, Head Concierge at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
Firstly we would like to thank our guest for taking the time to provide feedback on their vacation and indeed offer pointers as to where we can look to improve our guests overall experience. It’s great to hear that they enjoyed our location and exceptional views however we feel it is important to respond to some of the details.
I’m truly sorry to hear that our guests felt that the service they received from the Concierge and the Food & Beverge team was below our usual high standards. I am however disappointed that we were not able to rectifty theses issues whilst they were on site. We implore all guests to please talk with us. We have no record of any complaints received by these guests during their vacation and as such we were unable to rectify any of their issues.
Here at the reef resort we enjoy the longest natural beach on the island, this means that we do have have a reef and vegetation. It is these factors that give us some of the very best snorkeling in Grand Cayman as they play an integral part in the overall eco system. It’s also a major reason why we average between 5-10 turtles nests every single year! Our reefs are close to the shore in some areas. However, this does not by any means cover the entire beach. We have two certfied scuba instructors in our concierge team along with our very own on site water sports company White Sands. Please drop by and we will be most happy to show the very best places to safely snorkel in front of our resort.
A 15% gratuity is only applied for groups of 6 or more and this is noted on all of our menus. This guest may not have been aware of this policy and for that we apologize. No gratuity is added for smalller groups.
Regards transport, we have a daily bus service that collects guests every morning to take them into the local capital Georgetown. As it is a regular bus service picking up other passengers it carries a return cost of US$12. As there is no regular bus service to Rum Point the guests requested a taxi. A private taxi ride will carry a higher cost than a regular scheduled bus. The Reef Resort takes no money nor plays any part in the costing of these trips as they are externally licensed taxi drivers and not employees of the resort.
Regards scooters, the only company that rents scooters is located around 25 miles away from our resort. We are of course more than happy to help organize these, although we do feel that daily round trips of 50 miles plus on a scooter is something that we need to make our guests aware of.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2011

The reef has no swimming beach what so ever , if you attempt to go swimming make sure to have a first aid kit because chances are that you will either cut your foot or break a leg.The whole strip on the beach is unswimable there is coral rocks from the moment you step into the water from any point of entry BECAREFUL.The resort is a motel with cafeteria style restaurants and real bad food, my girlfriend and i were booked at the reef for 1 week but after 3 days we took our losses and got out of there quickly we went to the westin on sevin mile beach which turned out to be a fantastic hotel with great food and out of this world swimming conditions.To anyone considering staying at the reef i suggest that you do your homework on this place!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
34 Thank mrgreencap
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Our family, my husband, myself (in our 50's) and our two kids 7 and 8 and our 30 year old friend/nanny stayed at the Reef 8 days from July 25-August 2, 2011. I had researched resorts and we are well travelled in the Carribean. I was very satisfied with our choice. Where else can you go where - you walk out your door 10 feet and you are on the beach with the ocean about 30' straight ahead with good snorkeling, 40' to the right is a pool with 3 areas and a fountain, to the left about 60' is the bar. Need I say more. The rooms were clean - we had 2 rooms that were joined - the 1 Bedroom consisted of a large bedroom with closet and safe, bathroom with jacuzzi/shower, full kitchen complete with dishwashing powder, liquid soap, towels and dishes, a dining area with a large glass table, and a living area- 2 chairs, couch, TV, CD player and two murphy beds. The which I think is referred to as the efficiency, has a bathroom with shower, double sink area, jacuzzi surrounded by light curtains and a king size bed and a chair. Both had a nice porch with a table and a lounge chair. A small grocery store and another store with clothing, snorkels, etc. is across the street within walking distance. The only thing that I wish I had were some CDs and radio receiption was not good and we wanted island music! As for amenities, continental breakfast was free, the 2 pools were great and a comfortable temperature - one pool was near the tennis courts and sports rental area and the other was near the jetty. The bar was in between. The other pool was great - it had a deep area, some rocks and 2 tiny pools leading into a shallow area which was good for sitting or for very small children - it had a dolphin fountain, and the third connected area was more of a sports pool with a volleyball net. Tip: - bring inflatables -rafts, rings, etc. I went to buy two noodles and the island price was $5-$8 dollars apiece for something you can get at the dollar store here. Getting in the water at the resort was a little rocky but the water is calm so bring water shoes or use flippers. We brought our own masks, snorkels and fins to make sure everyone had a comfortable set and I was glad we did. Cathy?- the activities director was very friendly and helpful as were all the staff.
My only two comments that tend toward the negative is that the food and dining area were not up to par for the quality of this resort - food was fine but we wound up going to Moritz dock bar- a very short walk down the beach - for lunch - food there was very, very good and presented nicely and bar was more attractive. Lunch at the reef was plastic and not presented well and food was tasty but nothing special. We travelled around the island for dinners. Many people cooked in their rooms or on the resort grills which are scattered around, as food was quite expensive - you can spend $100 on lunch with a drink or two and dinner can easily exceed $200. The other negative is that everything is quite far away - I liked being away from 7 mile beach and liked the peace and quiet myself but getting to places for dinner took 30-40 minutes and you will need to rent a car, which I would recommend anyway since things are far apart and we like driving around. Marshalls car rental- a local company was great and I would recommend them.
Highlights of our trip, Tukka restaurant - down the road about 15 minutes was great - great food and atmosphere -@$200 plus but worth it, Stingray city - Hint - if you agree to a 1 hour timeshare presentation at the reef, you can save $100 plus through RedSail excursions. Timeshare presentation was no pressure and we enjoyed chatting with a local and it was limited to 1 hour. Turtle farm was interesting - you can pick up turtles there. Rum Point was fund- that is where the Stingray City boat departs - it is a beach area with a restaurant and nice beach, a few shops and very shallow water but not great snorkeling. Another highlihgt was Starfish beach - down a road of a defunct resort - few people and lots of giant starfish in the water. We took the catamaran to Stingray City and if our kids were older, I would have taken the jet ski tour instead - catamaran was fun too. Sunshine grill is tucked away in the 7 mile beach area but is an oasis - great food, fun atmosphere and great drinks. Also Aqua was good, If you like local food, Over the Edge is very good. LIghthouse Restaurant - near the resort has very good food but is a little stuffy - waiters running around in nautical outfits. My older daughter and I did a horseback ride at the beach - used Coral Stables - Everton is the guide and he is very very nice. We rode western to the beach, then he took off the saddles and we rode bareback in the water with the horses swimming!! What an experience. Hint- bring water or there is a little store on the way that I had Everton run into and get us all some waters. Also, wear a bathing suit under your clothes as you will go in the ocean. Horses looked healthy and were very sweet and it is safe - if you fall off in the water,you just float! It was a once in a life experience that my daughter and I will never forget.
There is a farmers market on Saturday - it is quite interesting to see the local fruits and vegetables and the people selling the goods are more than willing to let you have a sample. I had sugar cane juice, local pastries and gwynapps? - looks like an olive but you pop it open and suck on the pulp inside and spit out the seed - very tasty. This was the best place to buy jams and jellies and my husband wound up buying conch cufflinks from one vendor.
We were a little wary of not having a kids club for our kids but it turned out fine - the resort has activities everyday for kids if they want to participate - tye die, crafts, etc. My kids are real joiners but elected to hang out at the beach and pool with kids they met - the resort was a nice mix of young, middle and older people - not too many kids and not too noisy. My kids enjoyed the resident cats too which kept down the bugs and lizards. Incidentally, it was not buggy when we were there.
Forget shopping in the Grand Caymans - We have travelled extensively through the Carribean and for the most part the shops were way overpriced for everything and there was not much that was indiginous to the island. The best shopping that we found were the open air stalls where the ships come in close to 7 mile beach.
All in all, I would strongly recommend the Reef if you like a well-kept resort away from all the crowds on 7 mile beach - where else can you walk out your door and right into the ocean or the pool - it was tough coming home from that!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Eric H
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We first thought we'd stay at 7 mile beach but thankfully, decided on The Reef. It's definitely very secluded but we loved that. It was so peaceful and relaxing. We did a snorkel trip and Apollo was amazing. You go to two spots and after many different Caribbean trips, this was the best snorkeling we've ever had! You see so much sea life on the snorkel trip. And a nice bonus is you can also snorkel right out in front of the hotel! The snorkeling was our favorite part.
The staff there was amazing overall. Alan and Lindsey were both very friendly and helpful. It felt very laid-back and casual, not stuffy. We did have one little issue at check in. I'd purchased a plan that included a breakfast but upon check in, I was told breakfast did not come with my package. It was our honeymoon so I didn't want to start off upset so I let it go, planning to just swing by the next morning with my receipt to get it cleared up. Unfortunately, the same lady was there and told me the same thing. So I'd just recommend you have printed detailed paperwork as a backup. But I'd still recommend this place and go back.
A couple other quick points: we did not rent a car and felt there were enough options that we didn't feel trapped. We ate next door a couple times, and also at Tukka and they will pick you up. One day we were having a little cabin fever so we just jumped on the free bikes and went up the street for a bite to eat. We also used the airport shuttle and that wasn't bad at all. We had arranged that through the hotel before arriving. My husband went on the fishing trip with the hotel next door and had a good time. The captain will even cook your fish for you!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank csscott1
Bloomfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I stayed at the Reef with my wife and pre-teen daughter in August 2010 and we had an amazing time. This year we returned with my sister and brother-in-law, and they were as impressed as we had been last year. The Reef’s quiet, East End location is a 45-minute drive from George Town, too quiet for some, perhaps, but perfect for us. As one resident told me, the East End is “the real island.” In addition to stunning ocean views and a great snorkeling reef, the resort offers easy access to Tortuga Divers, located next door at Morrit’s, where our family spent several days diving. It’s also an easy drive to Rum Point or Kaibo, where one can take a trip to Stingray City or do some night kayaking, which brings up an important point: a rental car is a must when staying on the East End.

But the Reef’s great location is only a small part of why we like it; the staff is the real strength of the place. As a set, staff members are extremely personable and accommodating. They took the trouble to locate our family in adjacent units, which made our week-long stay that much more convenient and enjoyable. And if you think that in an age of faceless hotel chains it’s impossible to get a clean room any more, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness of the whole place. Many folks throughout the resort made a point of remembering our names and numerous small requests throughout the week – not easy to do when you see guests coming and going all the time. If I were pressed to offer a criticism, I would say that it would have been nice to see a bit more variety in the continental breakfast that was included in our package, though we liked the fact that we could apply our vouchers toward various hot breakfast options. However, that’s a very minor issue in what was altogether a great experience. We have thoroughly enjoyed our stays at the Reef twice now, and we can’t wait to get back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Denver, Colo.
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Just returned from a week on the east end at this resort, and amidst multiple issues with the car rental place as well as the airlines, the hotel was fabulous. We arrived late and they had accomodated our request for a ground floor unit (104A). Our place was fabulous, only steps away from the beach and ocean. Bed was hard, but sleepable, shower was awesome (high enough for tall people and jetted tub, good pressure and temp.), and kitchen was well-equipped. All of the staff were fantastic, including Jake and Susie with the concierge team), and the Manager, Lawrence. They all went out of their way to share information and make our vacation enjoyable. The food at the Barefoot Bistro was good and moderately priced. The spa was a wonderful experience. Snorkeling out front was great, though the current was a bit strong and consistent. We had perfect weather, and the light constant breeze was welcome. We're already both having withdrawals.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Wyndham Reef Resort? Share your experiences!