“Relaxing, quiet get-away”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East End
North Carolina
“Relaxing, quiet get-away”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My wife and I spent a week at The Reef in January 2012. We reserved the week through Interval International. It was our first trip to Grand Cayman and we loved the resort. The condo was clean, comfortable, & well-equiped. But no washer/dryer in the unit. We had a 2nd floor condo over-looking the beach & the bar. We were pleasantly surprised that the noise from the bar was minimal after 10:00 PM and we weren't disturbed at all! Be prepared for cool, breezy evenings. The staff at the hotel was very helpful & friendly, particularly the concierges (Rocky, Suzie, Lindsey, etc.). Everyone made us feel like owners. The snorkeling right off the beach was great -- walk about 500 yards down the beach to Morritt's Resort, snorkel under the Morritt's pier, and ride the current back to The Reef. White Sands Watersports, located at The Reef, offers a great 3-hour snorkel trip with Alan acting as your guide in the boat and in the water. Well worth the price! We had a great time. Thanks!!!

2 Thank MannySchwartz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
Wyoming, Michigan
Reviewed 26 January 2012

The Good:The first thing I recommend is that you request a 1st floor walk out you can open your balcony doors and the breeze is amazing. The bar food and drinks were really good and not a bad value. The beach is nice and clean and pretty quiet. Room was clean and spacious. Employees were friendly and helpful. Nice quiet area on the East side of the island.

The Not Great: There is no wi-fi and internet is only available at the Subway from 9-9 for hotel guests. There was a strange odor in your room...not terrible but not great. We were in room 101B the closest room to the outside bar and there is a lot of night time activity...it wan't too bad but I would ask for a room away from the main areas. There is a barefoot man dinner and music...do not do it...it is not good and not worth the money.

14 Thank placestogopeopletose
JakeMorgan72, Head Concierge at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Thanks for taking the time to post your review, honest feedback is critical for us to continue to improve our guests experience and tweak accordingly where needed. In regards to internet connection we offer two options, we have 3 complimentary computers available on site from 9am to 9pm and we do also offer a ‘pay as you use’ WiFi service across the resort. Our 14 transmitters on the beach provide best reception on the balconies, beach loungers and our lobby to surf the net and catch up on email.
To explain the live entertainment we offer, The ‘Barefoot Man’ has been a popular entertainer here in Grand Cayman for over 30 years and is renowned in the Caribbean and the US for his comical songs about every day life in the Caribbean, politics and other happenings around the world. The dinner show includes a three course menu and is often sold out and guests drive from other resorts to see him. For guests who prefer other types of live entertainment we also offer a local band performing outdoors by the beach bar, karaoke nights, etc.
For more information about our entertainment and on site amenities, please visit our website or contact our concierge team for full details. Thank you again!
Washington, DC
Reviewed 26 January 2012

This place was nice and so were the people. I'm not sure what some people expect regarding service but I had no issues with the staff. I'll comment on a few things.
We had asked for a ground floor unit but got a third floor unit in the North building. I ended up being happy about this because the ground floor units have people walking by. The upper floor units give you a better view of the ocean. The unit we did get was smaller than shown on the web & then I found the door to the adjacent unit open and it was much bigger with a full kitchen, living area, dining area. More like a one bedroom apartment. I was able to upgrade for 8 nights for another $30 bucks a night. Well worth it. The staff was very accommodating and nice here - especially on this issue. Also, you get a free drink when you walk it. They also have some games to lend. Scrabble etc. The timeshare condo thing was not pushy. Not at all like Mexico. They asked if we were interested. We said no. That was it. It was windy on that side of the island that time of year - first week in January. Always is. Still you could snorkel and it was pretty good there. Shallow so be careful not to kick anything. I saw a huge turtle right there. If it is too windy you can always to to Bodden Town. or Rum Point. Ate at restaurant once. It was fine. Not four star but fine. Bar food is great. Barefoot man wasn't there that week but Karaoke night was fun. Tukka restaurant down the road was excellent. Over the Edge is great local spot. This area isn't seven mile beach. You want the crowds go there. You want an escape go to the Reef. Finally, some folks mentioned the beech - too rocky with trash and a wrack line. The rocks are part of the carribean. Get over it or again - go to seven mile. They clean the beach wrack line every day to keep it nice. There was other trash on the beach away from the resort. It comes from Jamaica and Cuba - not the Caymanians. Go for a walk like my wife & I did and clean some up one day. You'll feel like you did something good for the planet instead of just sitting on your butt in the sun doing nothing all day!!

Room Tip: All rooms have beach view. Check floor plans on website.
3 Thank dex039
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Our first visit to Grand Cayman was 10 years ago for our wedding. We returned last week looking for a different Grand Cayman experience and that is exactly what we received. Yes its off the beaten path, yes its a drive from the airport, yes its not like the Westin. All of this is why we chose the Reef Resort. The Reef had everything we needed, all rooms face the ocean, the food was very good, the beach bar was well appointed. Make sure you utilize the fabulous concierge staff. We needed a horse back riding trip, they handled. We needed a great restaurant, not only did they recommend the fabulous Tukka down the road but they also provided a 10% coupon. Same for the Lighthouse. Some of the reviews complained about the food, I thought the food was very good however I wouldn't opt for the all inclusive. After a few days I would likely want something different. The monday night welcome buffet is a hoot, the concierge in charge of this event <I apologize for not remembering your name> does an excellent job and is very enthusiastic. She does a great job checking to make sure everyone is having a great time.

Two things for the Reef staff. 1) Bar tenders, I know your local friends are important but don't ignore the other guests in the evening. I shouldn't have to fight for your attention vs. your buddies. 2) If I were the manager I'd make sure I was consistently in the lobby and out by the bar checking with guests. You spoke with us one time and that was during checkout.

Everything else was great. If you want 50 beach chairs crammed together in a 100 square foot area please feel free to stay on 7 mile beach. Leave the East side of the island to the folks that want a relaxing uncrowded vacation experience.

3 Thank Nate B
Littleton, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Just returned from a week at The Reef Resort. Stayed in Studio unit in middle condo building, (private owners but rented through hotel) second floor. (Room has a lock-out door to a one bedroom.) Unit was spotless and in excellent condition with a lovely balcony over beach and sea. Every unit has one. Building on other side of lobby is time share. White sandy beach has plenty of beach chairs and gets raked almost every day. Two immaculate pools with hot tubs and lounges, tennis court too. Snorkling was great especially if you walk a couple of blocks up the beach and drift back along the close reef. Also took White Sand Water Sports' (on property) Two-stop Guided Snorkle Trip and it was great. The resort's Pelican Reef Restaurant was very good and there are 3 other fast food options on property as well as a small super market and liquor store directly across the road. The resort is nearly an hour from Georgetown and night-life in Seven-Mile -Beach on the northeast side of Cayman. Unfortunately, wind blew and canceled all boat trips on island for 3 days; wind surfers and kite-boarders did not seem to mind.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 January 2012

This is the first time I write comments on Trip Adviser and by doing so I really hope that people planning to come to this Resort will think seriously before deciding so.

The resort lobby looks like a cheap motel without class. My wife and I took the all inclusive option and despite all attempts to eat and drink all we could, including lobters and sparkling wine, we were unable to equal the amount of money we paid for the all inclusive option.

The menu was limited, the food greasy and of low quality. Apart a couple bar tenders and waitresses, some people at the service were unfriendly and sometime rude to us, as if we were not welcome in the resort, even though these people live on tourism.

The quality of the beach although OK at first sight is extremely deceiving as soon as you enter the water. There are lots of pieces of coral of different sizes awaiting to scratch your feet in addition to big rocks and dead coral heads just a few feet from the beach. The wind was constant during our stay, so that it was even more difficult to enter the water for a swim.

My wife and I love snorkeling, but we were both extremely deceived with the snorkel tour organized by the resort. We were brought to a shallow site where only a few scattered coral heads among the sandy bottom were to be seen and then to a deeper site with a few sea fans and slightly larger coral heads. Apparently, uracane Ivan destroyed most of the interesting coral here in 2004. Average winds are 10-15 knots on the east side of the Grand Cayman island, so that other interesting diving sites are difficult to reach.

In addition, be extremely careful about being approached to buy a time-sharing condo here at the resort, this being done under pressure by very well trained sale experts.

Although we enjoyed the appartment and turquoise colored waters facing the resort, our experience at the Reef Resort was unfortunately overall very unpleasant. If one wants to discover the Grand Cayman island, we would definitely discourage anyone to book at the Reef and recommand rather to go at one of the Seven Mile Beach resorts instead.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
32 Thank John C
JakeMorgan72, Head Concierge at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
We’re truly sorry that these guests did not enjoy their stay, but we would also like to thank them for taking the time to write a review.

Regards our all inclusive options we are currently the only resort in Grand Cayman offering this product and indeed now offer 3 separate packages to fit all tastes and budgets. Full details of these can be found on our website alongside all of our menus and prices. These can be taken both with & without alcoholic drinks and are priced accordingly. Please also remember that all of our meals are prepared fresh and ordered directly from the menus, we do not serve buffets at pre determined times.

As many of our reviews will testify the east end of Grand Cayman offers some of the very best snorkeling and diving available in the Caribbean so I can only assume this was an off day. Hurricane Ivan did cause a reasonable amount of damage however in the 8 years since we have seen enormous improvements in both fish populations and coral growth. We do have a reef on our doorstep (hence the theReef resort!) and some places are easier to enter the water than others. These areas are marked, but we would again implore all of our guests to come and speak with us for advice. Along with our resident Water sports company 'White Sands' we have two scuba diving instructors on our concierge staff who have considerable experience with diving and snorkeling here and who are more than happy to offer advice and recommendations to all of our guests.

I also note with regret that our guests felt that our levels of customer service had fallen short of the high standards we set here. If any of our guests experience any issues we implore them to contact a duty manager immediately and take advantage of our 12 hour guarantee. If we cannot fix the problem in an acceptable manner then that nights stay will be free.
Plainfield, Illinois
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I visited back in November and booked through hotwire. Even though my vacation package stated a total price, I owed $300 for additional fees on a 8 day trip. For example, tourism accomadation tax, service fee, electricity fee. The Reef also gave me a bill for these items with a few duplicate charges for the same day, which they did take off after we pointed it out, but I was disappointed that they gave me a bill with errors. The elevator to our 2nd story room was broken, which was not a huge deal, except that our key card did not work for 4 days. Each day, the front desk would "fix" my key, I'd walk back to my room to find it not fixed, then they would send maintanence to let me in. It was frusterating, esp when I had shopping bags and had to take the stairs.
I did really enjoy our room. It was large and the view of the pools and the ocean was beautiful. If you are booking here to snorkel right off the beach like I did, I'm not sure I would advise it. I snorkeled most days and was disappointed with the variety of marine life.
Also, don't believe the the sign that advertises free rum punch to go to a beach party. You have to participate in games to maybe get a free drink coupon (they run out fast). If you show up at the party and order a rum punch, the bartender will say they are not affiliated with the party and they will charge you.
On a positive note, the stingray city trip offered for going to the timeshare presentation was amazing.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
18 Thank beccaann1984
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our resort and for giving us an opportunity to clarify the situation regarding charges. Anybody booking a vacation at theReef resort through our website, a Travel Agent or Tour operator will normally be quoted a rate including all taxes and fees. After some investigation we were able to confirm that this stay was booked not through Hotwire.com (we have not worked with this vendor before) however through another popular bidding site. When booking tickets through 3rd party vendors’ sites it’s imperative to read all of the booking information provided by the company as the devil is often in the details. When a booking is made via this site the company includes the following statement on the booking page online for all resorts as the vendor itself is unable to collect these fees due to their policies.

Mandatory Fee: This hotel charges an additional xx% per room per night and $xx per room per night. This fee will be charged to you directly by the hotel. Mandatory fees are not optional and typically cover items such as resort fees, energy charges or safe fees. The amount of the charge is subject to change”

Unfortunately this is not the first time a customer who had booked through this site has advised us they were not made aware of any additional costs, as such we have made a decision to no longer accept bookings from that company.

With regret we hear that you encountered a few other issues for which we accept full responsibility. One of our elevators was out of service for approx 36 hours, we did everything we could to minimize the inconvenience whilst the engineers rectified the issue eventually. Additionally the issue with the electronic keys should have been resolved the first time, all of our front desk staff are now aware that any key issues are elevated to the duty manager for a immediate resolution.

We’re really glad to hear that you enjoyed our welcome party and stingray city trip, these events are usually some of the highlights of everybody’s vacation however it’s only fair that we do clarify that it is not a free bar during our welcome party. The concierge team issues between 150 – 200 free drinks with the aim being that everybody receives at least one free drink but not an open bar.

Once again thanks for taking the time to respond, its through feedback such as this that allows us to continually improve our overall guests satisfaction.
Also consider these accommodations in or near East End
#6 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
No photo provided
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
No photo provided
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Wyndham Reef Resort? Share your experiences!