Before our recent trip to The Reef, 10 days in January, 2012, we investigated the reviews. We preferred all-inclusive because of the location of the resort at the eastern end of the island. We wanted to relax as a couple without the congestion of the 7 Mile Beach area. We worked with a travel agent who got us a great deal on airfare and told her that we did not need an all-inclusive plan with alcohol. Contrary to one review that we read, when you do not include alcoholic beverages with your package, you are also downgraded to what is called the "Reef Saver" menu. This menu is limited and excludes you from some of their specialty nights such as "prime rib night" and "steak night". We would have paid an upgrade charge to participate in those but they refused to do it. We were stuck with the same 5 entrees every night plus 3 pastas and a few salads. We were allowed to enjoy the "Smoothie of the Day" at the beach bar for no added charge. In talking with the manager at the end of our trip, there are now 4 all-inclusive plans to chose from, so when planning your trip be aware of what they are. There is the plan that includes everything with alcohol and non-motorized sports equipment. The next plan excludes the alcohol and sports but gives you the full menu. The next 2 plans are called "Reef Saver" and can include alcohol or not but gets you the lesser menu. Had we known we would have chosen the 2nd plan or even no plan at all. If you have a car, there are several good restaurants in the area but Grand Cayman is an expensive place to be. Tukka's has a van that will pick you up.
Other things to mention. The Bare Foot Bistro where we ate most of our meals, needs an upgrade for atmosphere. It is dingy and outdated. We like to snorkel but it was windy and the seas were rough almost every day. We did snorkel one day by Morritt's dock and saw many huge fish, one being a tarpon. We took the snorkel trip with Apollo and that was very good. The beach at the Reef is not great to swim because of the surf and the lack of entry points. We went to 7 Mile Beach 2 days and the beaches are beautiful and the water gets deep quickly for swimming but kids do fine there. Rum Point is beautiful and the beach is good but it stays shallow for a long time which would be good for smaller children. We went to Sting Ray City as a complimentary gift for attending the time share presentation. That was a unique event and we recommend it. The boat takes off from Rum Point so this gives you a chance to see that area if you don't have a car.
We ate at Tukka's once. It was good but not exceptional for the price. A lesser expensive restaurant which we thought was better, was David's at the Morritt's Resort next to the Reef. The Italian restaurant across the street was good and a nice change of pace. The time share presentation took about 2 hours and was non threatening. You learn a lot about time shares but we declined even though there are cost incentives to sign up the day of the presentation.
Finally, keep your receipts especially if you are on a meal plan. At check-out, we where overcharged by $200 because the waitresses were confused about the meal plan that we were on even though we wore the wrist bands. The manager was a big help and we resolved the problem easily without a big hassle. We probably will not go back to the Reef because we think that next time we would prefer 7 Mile Beach but at the far end away from the crowds.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wyndham Reef Resort is the only ALL BEACHFRONT, ALL SUITE RESORT WITH AN ALL-INCLUSIVE PROGRAM ON GRAND CAYMAN. The white sands of Grand Cayman are your welcome mat and the crystal clear waters are your playground. Since all of our suites are right on the beach, you'll enjoy exploring, playing, snorkeling and diving, or soaking in the beauty just steps outside your door. This East End getaway, far from the crowds, provides a truly serene tropical escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Wyndham Reef Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Reef Hotel Grand Cayman
- Reef Hotel Grand Cayman
- Reef Resort Grand Cayman
- Wyndham Reef Resort Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands - East End