“Incredible staff!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East End
New York, New York, United States
“Incredible staff!!”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My boyfriend and I spent an amazing week at The Reef in February. We stayed in an owners room, Michele Taffet, and had such a personalized experience. The East End of the island was quiet, relaxed and the "true cayman". The beach at the hotel was never crowded and the lounge chairs directly in front of our beach level room were always available to us every day. The food at the bar was excellent and the drinks were strong! The pool was never crowded and we felt like we had our own resort at times. I must say how amazing the staff were. Much to our embarrassment we crashed our rental car driving to the hotel for the first time and it was a total nightmare being in a foreign country and getting into an accident. The security guard let me make an international call to my mother and then drove us to our room. The next morning I called to the front desk to explain the situation, they told me to come right down to the office and they would make all the phone calls I needed from there. As soon as I made my way down I was welcomed by Susan who was the warmest and kindest woman I have met in a long time; she immediately calmed me down and took control of the situation. In addition to getting all the information I needed and making calls for me she set me up with Jake who took me in his personal car to the airport which was a half hour away to report the accident and to get a new car from the rental company. He then drove me to the police station and went inside with me to fill out the police report. I wish I could explain in words how much this meant to me because I was so terrified being in a foreign country and having to deal with the police. Jake and Susan stayed in touch with me for my entire stay and made sure we had everything we needed. They truly saved our vacation!! If you want a personalized vacation where everyone knows your name, and not because you are spending upwards of $500 a night at a huge report, then come here. 7 mile a beach is a drive away, a beautiful one at that, and you will want to come right back to the East End as soon as you get there. Rum point and Cayman Kai are right around the corner and the perfect amount of lively fun and relaxation without the cruise ship crowd of 7 mile.

Room Tip: Michele Taffet has a private room that is directly on the beach! Every room faces the beach so you c...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
Chicago, illinois
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We just returned from a lovely week spent at The Reef Resort. It is a place we hope to go again. Quiet, peaceful, beautiful green water, white sand. Every room had an ocean view and the ocean was not far away. We spent time on the beach and on our balcony when we needed a break from the sun. As someone else mentioned, you do not have to get up at 6AM to reserve a chaise on the beach. There are plenty of chaises, no matter what time you go to the beach. They told us this was the 'quiet end' of the island and that is true. It is quiet, but that's just what we were looking for. Accomodations were very clean, kitchen fully equipped, 3 TV's in our suite. At the front desk O'Shane made us feel right at home, and our waitress Tomoy always seemed glad to see us.
If I have criticism it would be for the food and for those TV's. The food just wasn't very good, but you do have a full kitchen in a suite and there are other options, Dunkin Donuts, Italian restaurant, Subway, and a pretty good grocery store right across the street. Only one TV in our suite was a new model, the other two were very small, very old models. One of the very old models was in the 'living room' for group viewing, but it was barely adequate.
The place does seem to nickel and dime you, I agree with that, but, you don't NEED rolls at your table. The people are lovely, friendly, smiling.
Just an all round wonderful, rejuvenating week. We hope to go back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sue H
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 16 February 2012

My companion and I really enjoyed our stay at The Reef Resort. The room was a good size and most importantly, very clean. The staff seemed professional, helpful, and friendly. We did not get the all inclusive package bc we wanted to try different restaurants in the area. However, we did eat at the restaurant/bar a couple of times... I recommend the blackened Mahi Mahi. Our servers and bartenders were pretty cool. We tried the Australian restaurant nearby, I think it's called Tukka (sp) and LOVED it. The restaurant will even send a shuttle to pick you up and drop you off. We mostly just lounged, relaxed, and took in the nice view for our short stay. I do like the beach better at 7 mile beach because it's more swimmable, but I knew before I went that it was going to be more reef/coral and not as good to swim right in front of the hotel. I did see a few people snorkeling and kayaking so it's good for that. Def beautiful to look at.
As others have stated it is more peaceful and serene in this area. Can be kind of quiet, although the the bar got a little rowdy at times.
We also enjoyed the use of the fitness center, pool, hot tub. Many other amenities are offered as well, like tennis courts and they even have corn hole :)
All in all it was a great place to stay and I have already recommended it to friends.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank beachyV
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Having no experience with Cayman Island or the Reef Resort, we were so pleasantly surprised and delighted that what we had read and photos we had seen were true to the place.
Resort is clean, fresh looking, and quiet. Great for empty nesters needing a respite.
Snorkelling was our goal and we saw everything we set out for. Turtle, nurse shark, stingray and scores of tropical fish. Big fish hang out under the docks. Do be careful of the current, stay between the piers. Ask the helpful staff at the White Sands kiosk.
Do go for a trip with White Sands to the marine park.

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank Jetvd
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I am a 35 year old, Canadian female who recently travelled for the first time, alone, seeking scuba, sunshine and fun. The Reef Resort was paramount in me finding it! The concierge, the support staff and the other on-site businesses were all awesome. They helped me plan a full week, watched out for me and cheered me on the whole way.

The east end of Grand Cayman is quiet with little night life, but beautiful beyond words.

Go to sting ray city.

Check out Joe Tours Eco-Hike.

Go Scuba diving with Red Sail if you can!

Spend time at the bar near the beach.

I would describe myself as quite shy, yet when my 8 days were up, there was seldom a time when i passed a room, a local business, a patron or an employee that i wasnt greeted with a "hello" and often was greeted by name.

I cant say enough to recommend this location. My vacation was unforgettable!

Room Tip: all rooms at the reef have an ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Sarah D
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We are a multiple past and future visitors to The Reef Resort. Our last visit was mid July, our next will be for two weeks in August, 2012. My recommendation is you throw out the bottom (poor) and top (excellent) reviews including this one, although you should read it. I couldn't recommend The Reef more highly. It is always clean and the staff are extremely friendly. Jake responds to bad reviews, I think if these bad reviews talked to him during their visit, he would help at least some. Of course as a Concierge, there is only so much he can do.

If you want crowded shoulder to shoulder beaches and bar nightlife, you need to be on the other side of the island. This is on the quite side. I would recommend a rental car, we of course like to visit the crowded side, but prefer the feeling we have this entire beautiful beach to ourselves you get at The Reef.

We go to the Grand Cayman Island for the snorkeling which is available right from the beach, you don't have to pay for a boat to visit absolutely beautiful coral right from the beach. Jake gave us excellent driving directions to gorgeous spots where we were the only ones there and you wouldn't believe the coral and fish we were swimming with! We travel all over the island going to these snorkeling spots. Smiths Cove is excellent, sometimes a little crowded though. Out and to the left of the cove is some really nice coral heads. On the east side Connely's Cove is very nice and you will probably be the only ones there. There is another one between Connely's Cove and The Reef (Jake will give you dead on directions) which I think was called Barefoot Beach.

Food isn't five star, but, we're not five star eaters either. Give me a beer (or 6), my wife a pinia colada (or two or three) and we are happy. You'll have wonderful evenings at the Tiki Hut bar and the bartenders (Collin especially) are wonderful. The food is good and when your absolutely exhausted from snorkel hopping all over the Island it is great.

I would caution individuals of the rip current to the north of the pier. It isn't extremely dangerous for experienced snorkelers, but it can be scary if your not used to it. DON'T attempt to fight the ocean. When the sea grass is pointing out towards the Ocean, rest in spot. When you feel the swell and see the sea grass go towards the shore, swim and you'll move in 20-30 feet, repeat as needed. You will see a lot of sea life you won't see up at the beach if you go out past the boat channel. Take a dive flag with you because you will be out past the safe zone of the beach area. Most areas you can drive to are much closer to the beach, but, you've got to see out there from The Reef beach.

The Reef is the embodiment of Island time. No where to go and all day to get there.

Room Tip: We enjoy ground floors so we can walk directly out to the beach.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
12 Thank Tom T
New York City
Reviewed 5 February 2012

This resort is nice but it's 40-45 minutes away from Georgetown and the airport, so it can get pricey either if you rent a car or you get cabs/buses/resort organized transportation.
If you want to read your book on the beach, sleep and eat in one out of three restaurants walking distance, this is a good place for you. I heard that snorkeling is good because of the reef but swimming isn't--it's too windy, there are always waves and it's hard to get into the water due to rocks and reef. There wasn't a day I didn't get scratched in water.
There are two pools but they are cold during the day. The hot tub is great though.
Stingray city is leaving from the Rum Point which is about 20-30 minutes of a drive, Seven Mile beach is the most beautiful beach on the island, and that is about 50 minutes of a drive away, Dolphin Discovery is about an hour hour and 15 minutes away.
If they offer a "resort tour," in exchange for something, be careful, it's much longer than an hour and they want to sell you a timeshare.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Wyndham Reef Resort? Share your experiences!