“Second Trip Not As Good As The First”

Wyndham Reef Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East End
New Braunfels, TX
“Second Trip Not As Good As The First”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I just returned from a week at the Reef Resort (April 15-22, 2012). During the entire stay I did not have a hot shower once until the last day which was Sunday morning. All the other days the water was lukewarm at best. Last time we stayed at the resort was 2008 in the new section and did not have this problem. This was reported to the manager. The internet was a big issue for us as well. We were told to provide our IP address for two computers in advance of our arrival and we would have free WI-FI when we arrived. I was only able to get WI-FI one time on the patio for about 5 minutes nothing after that. The internet was very important as I run a business and needed to work some of the time. We contacted the office and were told the same thing that they were switching providers and the internet was not consistent but could you the computers in the office. There were three computers but one was broken and there was always someone in line waiting for you to finish so I felt that I couldn't conduct business as I should have been able to. We were not offered the opportunity to purchase service as the prior post indicates or I probably would have. Our rooms were not cleaned during the stay only trash taken out and clean towels provided daily. No bed makeup, etc., which was no big deal but I would have thought they would have changed the sheets at least once during our stay. This could be because we were traveling with time share owners who were renting the room next to us. I would think however, they would be treated no different than those who are not time share owners.

As far as gratuity added at 15% this is commom throughout Grand Cayman. It was added at every restaurant and bar we went to not just at the Reef.

Shopping - The good thing was that prices were the same for clothing no matter where you saw a particular item on the island. I saw a dress in Georgetown I loved, it was the same price at the Rum Pointe shop. Also as for groceries, stop at one of the big stores in town prior to driving out to the Reef. There is a nice grocery behind the reef but it is a bit pricey.

The Italian restaurant in the same shopping center as the grocery behind the reef is excellent.

The Barefoot Cafe at the Reef leaves something to be desired. Wouldn't waste my your money. Go to Subway and get a breakfast sandwich or cook in your room. All four of our breakfasts were cold.

The beach at the Reef is pretty normal to other beaches on that side of the island. We spent sometime on 7-mile beach snorkeling which is clearer and not as much seaweed. Could be just because they are on different sides. There is a lot of seaweed that washes up but they are cleaned daily by the staff. The resort is clean.

I didn't feel like the office staff really cared whether we were there or not. The Concierige was not helpful when we were looking for a snorket trip, she told me to call one of the companies on site which I had already done prior to calling her. I would have thought, like most Concierge services, they find them for you and call you back, wrong.

Would I go back to the Reef on my next trip to the island, probably not.

Room Tip: Get a bottom floor room with a kitchenette in the new section of the resort. The section we stayed i...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank LovetoVacation2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
Somerset, NJ
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My wife and I stayed at The Reef Resort from April 14-21, 2012 and were very disappointed. The room we stayed in was not very clean and there were cheerios and crumbs in the sofa. There was a large "palmetto bug" in our room and the shower door was broken. There were some redeeming features such as the magnificent view from our balcony and a polite staff. However, when we checked out, we were required to pay $375 for taxes and "utilities". This was a very unpleasant surprise and the utility fee of $305 was something that I had never encountered at any other resort. If you have a choice and want a quiet getaway, stay at the Morritt's Resort next door.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
21 Thank Averageguy2012
JakeMorgan72, Head Concierge at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Thanks for taking time to leave feedback here, it is appreciated!

Now regards the cherrios, I would implore all guests to report such instances to our Front Desk who will have a member of our housekeeping team resolve that situation immediately. Every room is deep cleaned prior to all new arrivals so it’s disappointing to hear comments such as these. Please in future allow us an opportunity to rectify issues on whilst you are still on site. Likewise with all maintanance issues, let us know and we WILL take care of these things.

Regards the bug, we are a tropical island and have in excess of 40 square miles of jungle directly in front of our resort, so although such instances are rare they are not impossible. Our housekeeping and maintenance team will happily deal with any such problems so please just let us know.

The utility fee is applicable in all timeshare exchange programs throughout Grand Cayman and exchange guests are advised directly of these fees prior to their arrival by their exchange company. This applies to all resorts on Grand Cayman.

We hope your holiday experience in time overshadows your concerns and that we get a chance to host you again in the future.
North Carolina
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We just return from a stay at The Reef Resort April 9th-14th, 2012. First of all, the entire staff was wonderful. However, the resort is very average. We (myself, husband & 8 year old daughter) stayed in a 2BR 2 BA unit. The unit was large in size, but small on furnishings. The TV's were tiny! My husband had hope to relax & watch sports on TV. The cable was very fuzzy. But my biggest complaint by far was the WIND. I know that no one controls the weather, but we should have taken the previous reviews of the windy conditions to heart. We were unable to get in the ocean the 1st and 2nd day of our trip due to the wind. We had to rent a car (which we had not planned on) and drive to Rum Pointe....which we loved by the way! We had stayed on Seven Mile Beach the previous year and will do so in the future. But like my husband said, you get what you pay for! The place was very average. Also, NO elevator in our building.

Room Tip: Make sure your building has as elevator or you will be lugging your stuff up 3 flights of step!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank NCloves2travel68
Thanks for taking the time to review our resort, and allowing us an opportunity to clarify a few things of potential concern to future guests.

We are about half way through upgrading all of our TV sets throughout the resort to larger flat screen models, so should your room not have the latest version and TV is important to you we will find a suitable replacement, just ask.

Regards elevators, out of our 150 units we have 7 of our 2 bedroom suites that do not have a full lift access. To get access those rooms you would have to walk up 5 steps. Anybody not wishing (or able) to use those steps will not be placed in those rooms. Also, please remember that all of our staff are happy to assist with bags and luggage.

And finally the wind, as a result of some of the extreme weather in the states for about 10 days we did get a breezy north easterly wind. As our reviews will attest it is not normally windy however it is one thing we have no control over. In such instances please be sure to utilize our full time concierge service for help, advice and tips to get the very best out of your vacation.
Thanks again for the review and we would love to have an opportunity to show you the beautiful East End without the wind!
Charles Town, WV
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I'm writing this a year later.....my hubby and I had an excellent time at The Reef Resort celebrating our anniversary. The food was awesome. This is the only all inclusive place where we've stayed where every meal is ordered off of a menu and made to order. It was a very nice change to have hot individual dishes prepared for every meal...nice break from the usual buffet meals. Shout out to Collin the best bartender ever!!! :) Our room was very nice, we had: a balcony, ocean view, jacuzzi tub, full mini kitchenette with microwave, fridge, sink and dishes. The beach was very pretty, it had stones but we were able to buy beach shoes across the street at the shopping center which also has a grocery store. The Reef was very relaxing and laid back. Nice place to veg out to just get away from the usual day to day rat race. We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wvnovatraveler
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My wife and I were at the The Reef from 16-21 April 2012. The staff was always extremely helpful and went out of their way to be accomodating. Cathy Richardson was great in setting up any trips that were requested and accompanied us on the String Ray City trip. Jake Morgan the head concierge always met you in the lobby in the morning and was warm and cheerful. The room was modest but very well maintained.(clean, no smoke odor). You can not ask for a better location, every room faced the beautiful Caribbean, with only 35 feet of soft sand between the rooms and the crystal clear water. Yes there is sea grass that washes up every night, but the care takers make short work of that every morning. Yes there are rocks in the warter, but there is also a very nice area that is covered with sand that you can walk right in without problems. As far as snorkling, you can't ask for a nicer location. Swim 15 yards off shore and you can see spinney lobster, a moray eel, and a host of tropical fish including tarpon. In conclusion, if you are looking for a quiet, restful spot, the "REEF' is the answer.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TOCS1226
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We stayed here for a week over spring break. The one bedroom was clean and offered awesome views. However, the balcony was shared with the neighbors and the internet only worked here and there. This was a huge problem as school work needed to be done online and an interview needed to be done via Skype. The worst part of that was that I had specifically called prior to booking and was told they did indeed have internet. When my friend called the front desk the person was quite rude and told her it hadn't been working for weeks and there was nothing he could do. She did get very upset so I spoke with the manager who was to his credit much nicer. The beach is not at all busy (at least not during our week) but the water is full of muck and rocks so clear walks out into the sea are impossible. The store across the street does have food, but beware of the prices there and all over Grand Cayman! The US dollar does not equal the Cayman dollar and suddenly your bill is much more. The resort adds an automatic 15% so be prepared for that as well. A few other tips: buy your alcohol from duty free in the airport, you won't like the prices in Cayman! Also, be prepared to be searched at the airport on your return. I was called up and my checked bag needed to be checked (random they said) and I needed to go into a small locked room to observe this. Then my carry on was checked as I was walking onto the plane and I was patted down. This was all a bit much for me so just be prepared. Overall, I prefer Maui, Hawaii and enjoy the USA!

Room Tip: You may want to have a ground floor so walking out is quicker. The third floor was many stairs or a...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
11 Thank jenrockford
JakeMorgan72, Head Concierge at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
I’d like to thank our guests for taking time to review our resort and give us pointers as to how we improve our guests overall experience. Regarding our internet service, we currently have 2 options for internet access. We have 3 PC terminals based on site that are completely free of charge and available to all guests at the reef from 7am to 9pm. The 2nd option is a ‘pay per use’ WiFi service provided by a 3rd party company. Due to a variety of issues our WiFi can be both unreliable and ineffective at certain locations throughout the resort. The owners of the reef made a decision some months ago to fully replace this and install a brand new system. The first stage involved an entire new phone system and substantial rewiring which was completed a few weeks ago. The next stage it to fit over 50 WiFi routers across the resort to guarantee coverage, we expect it to be up and running by the middle of this year.
It also seems that perhaps the weather was not at its best during these guests visit if the water was cloudy. The waters of the Caribbean Sea are usually beautifully clear (as our reviews will show) however sometimes the wind will stir the water up a bit. We do have a reef in front of our resort (hence the reef resort!) so there are rocky areas however, we do have a number of easy spots to access so please speak to our concierge and water sport teams for the very best spots to snorkel . Thanks again for taking the time to review our resort and allowing us an opportunity to clear up some issues!
East Aurora, New York
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Just got back from the reef resort over Easter week.
RESORT: The one bedroom was very clean, and well stocked with supplies. We bought breakfast and lunch food at Foster's across the street and It has all the basics you would need. Prices weren't too bad considering how expensive it is to eat out!!! We had a 1st floor room which was amazing, open the door and you are on the beach!!! We snorkeled right outside our room and saw a lot of great stuff. Talk to the people at white sands on the resort and they will tell you where the best snorkeling is if you are unsure, but pretty much everywhere is great. It does get a bit cloudy though when it is windy. The space between the two piers is the best I think. My family (husband and 10 year old) loved being on the east end where there are no annoying lines or crowds. Always a beach chair available, on the beach or at the pool no matter what time, wonderful! Bar Restaurant was good and outside, very nice. The staff are friendly. I would definitely go back to the Reef.
DIVING: My daughter and I did our open water cert. dives with Ocean Frontiers, 6 minutes away. This is the BEST DIVE OP!!!!!!! Knowledgeable, friendly. If you wanted a guide, great, if not, that is fine too. Equipment was in excellent shape. Divers of all levels will have a great time. Plus they have an amazing photographer with you under water! You can order the pics online and they were AMAZING!!
TRIPS: STINRAY SAND BAR with Redsail at rum point. 20 minute drive to rum point and a GREAT trip!!! Friendly staff on boat, got to see and touch the stingrays and our captain showed us an eel and spiny lobster. A must do. The outside restaurant had good food at good prices! We layed in the hammocks after and had a great time. Drove to GEORGETOWN, about an hour. Pretty touristy area with a lot of shops, that's it. But we went to the TURTLE FARM and was amazed by all there is to do there. You can pick up the turtles, snorkel in a lagoon, swim in a fresh water pool. The pool had a large slide which my daughter loved while my husband and I relaxed on chairs, again, NO CROWDS!!!
RESATURANTS: We went to over the edge, about 10 mins from The Reef, great conch fritters and great blackened fish. Would recommend.
OVERALL: Loved the reef resort because the accommodations were nice but not crowded. Driving to rum point or the dive shop were not an issue. We went to georgetown and the turtle farm only once but that was enough, if you are looking to go to georgetown more than once I wouldn't stay on the east end, too much time to get there.

GREAT VACATION- HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE REEF!!!

Room Tip: 1st floor to be right on the beach, but avoid the building right in front of the pool as you will ha...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,979 reviews
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Wyndham Reef Resort? Share your experiences!