I just returned from a week at the Reef Resort (April 15-22, 2012). During the entire stay I did not have a hot shower once until the last day which was Sunday morning. All the other days the water was lukewarm at best. Last time we stayed at the resort was 2008 in the new section and did not have this problem. This was reported to the manager. The internet was a big issue for us as well. We were told to provide our IP address for two computers in advance of our arrival and we would have free WI-FI when we arrived. I was only able to get WI-FI one time on the patio for about 5 minutes nothing after that. The internet was very important as I run a business and needed to work some of the time. We contacted the office and were told the same thing that they were switching providers and the internet was not consistent but could you the computers in the office. There were three computers but one was broken and there was always someone in line waiting for you to finish so I felt that I couldn't conduct business as I should have been able to. We were not offered the opportunity to purchase service as the prior post indicates or I probably would have. Our rooms were not cleaned during the stay only trash taken out and clean towels provided daily. No bed makeup, etc., which was no big deal but I would have thought they would have changed the sheets at least once during our stay. This could be because we were traveling with time share owners who were renting the room next to us. I would think however, they would be treated no different than those who are not time share owners.
As far as gratuity added at 15% this is commom throughout Grand Cayman. It was added at every restaurant and bar we went to not just at the Reef.
Shopping - The good thing was that prices were the same for clothing no matter where you saw a particular item on the island. I saw a dress in Georgetown I loved, it was the same price at the Rum Pointe shop. Also as for groceries, stop at one of the big stores in town prior to driving out to the Reef. There is a nice grocery behind the reef but it is a bit pricey.
The Italian restaurant in the same shopping center as the grocery behind the reef is excellent.
The Barefoot Cafe at the Reef leaves something to be desired. Wouldn't waste my your money. Go to Subway and get a breakfast sandwich or cook in your room. All four of our breakfasts were cold.
The beach at the Reef is pretty normal to other beaches on that side of the island. We spent sometime on 7-mile beach snorkeling which is clearer and not as much seaweed. Could be just because they are on different sides. There is a lot of seaweed that washes up but they are cleaned daily by the staff. The resort is clean.
I didn't feel like the office staff really cared whether we were there or not. The Concierige was not helpful when we were looking for a snorket trip, she told me to call one of the companies on site which I had already done prior to calling her. I would have thought, like most Concierge services, they find them for you and call you back, wrong.
Would I go back to the Reef on my next trip to the island, probably not.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wyndham Reef Resort is the only ALL BEACHFRONT, ALL SUITE RESORT WITH AN ALL-INCLUSIVE PROGRAM ON GRAND CAYMAN. The white sands of Grand Cayman are your welcome mat and the crystal clear waters are your playground. Since all of our suites are right on the beach, you'll enjoy exploring, playing, snorkeling and diving, or soaking in the beauty just steps outside your door. This East End getaway, far from the crowds, provides a truly serene tropical escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Wyndham Reef Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Reef Hotel Grand Cayman
- Reef Hotel Grand Cayman
- Reef Resort Grand Cayman
- Wyndham Reef Resort Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands - East End