The Reef is a friendly and casual resort in a quiet, idyllic setting on the far East end of Grand Cayman.
It is about a 45 minute drive from the airport and tourist-centric West end of the island and I strongly recommend renting a car from Marshall's when you arrive at the airport. A one week rental at Marshall's cost us $124 total, in 2011. Being a British territory, the Caymans drive on the left side of the road and use frequent roundabouts. This is always fun, but can be a bit exciting for inattentive drivers.
Rooms are large and clean, with astounding beachfront views and spectacular sunrises every morning. The ability to walk-out of your room and snorkel the shallow reef is simply awesome.
Food at the Reef is adequate, not bad. Prices for food are generally too-high for what you get (a Cayman theme!) However, this shouldn't prevent you from staying at the Reef, the pros FAR outweigh the cons.
The RedSail Sports operation is based out of the adjacent Merritt's resort offered great SCUBA excursions to some of the very best diving in the world, all for reasonable prices. The RedSail staff was friendly and accommodating. If the weather and currents are cooperative, be sure to take the Babylon dive!
For the reviewers claiming there is no place to swim at the Reef, well, that's incorrect! There are two nice, clean pools for the timid, and a large, shallow (2' - 6') deep lagoon spanning the width of the resort. That lagoon offers warm, calm water, tons of fish, Spotted Eagle rays! tarpon, etc. It is a fascinating place to snorkel.
My wife and I are still seriously considering purchasing a timeshare and would love to go back soon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wyndham Reef Resort is the only ALL BEACHFRONT, ALL SUITE RESORT WITH AN ALL-INCLUSIVE PROGRAM ON GRAND CAYMAN. The white sands of Grand Cayman are your welcome mat and the crystal clear waters are your playground. Since all of our suites are right on the beach, you'll enjoy exploring, playing, snorkeling and diving, or soaking in the beauty just steps outside your door. This East End getaway, far from the crowds, provides a truly serene tropical escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Wyndham Reef Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Reef Hotel Grand Cayman
- Reef Hotel Grand Cayman
- Reef Resort Grand Cayman
- Wyndham Reef Resort Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands - East End