What a lovely experience! You can be as lazy or active as you like while staying here. The staff is attentive, the property new and clean (it was one of the first rebuilt after Hurricane Ivan a couple years ago) and the beachfront location is remarkable. Snorkle off the resort's beach, participate in the daily fish feeding off the pier at noon or hang out Wednesday evenings and star gaze with the Reef staff.
When visiting The Reef, it's important to know the following:
- Location is secluded (East side of island), approx. 1 hour from Seven Mile Beach area.
- Rent a car PRIOR to leaving for Grand Cayman (we recommend McCurley's). If not renting, cab fare is approximately $75CI to the resort.
- If it's offered for free, participate. The Reef offers a handful of informational social hours during the week in which guests are explained the in's and out's of enjoying the resort - from "Try a Dives" to visiting Stingray City.
- Ask your friendly concierge. We recommend talking to Troy, although another young lady works as a concierge and is equally adept in arranging everything from dinner plans to water excursions and beyond.
- Nothing happens on Sundays on the island. It's like Christmas anywhere else, and you won't have much luck finding many things open. Plan to spend this day laying around the resort, catching some rays and be as lazy as humanly possible.
- Learn about "island time." It's called adopting a "when in Rome" attitude. Still don't get the picture? Look it up on Google. Embrace it before you arrive and then go with the flow. It's going to be okay. Really.
Be sure to talk to Troy about where to eat (Grand Old House and The Lighthouse are not to be missed - or pick up some local jerk chicken at his favorite roadside dive). He can also hook you up with the in's and out's of what to do around the island.
Visit the Turtle Farm and Hell on the north side of the island. A dolphin experience located in the same area is rumored to reach completion summer 2008.
Shop in George Town. Take a peek at life along Seven Mile Beach.
Get up close and personal with wild stingrays at Stingray City.
Check out the starfish just past Rum Point (about 10 miles from The Reef).
Note that a grocery store is located across the street from The Reef. And yes, this translates to within walking distance.
A liquor store/Internet cafe/sundry shop is located on site at The Reef.
Barefoot Man entertains twice a week at The Reef and is good fun.
Wake up early and catch a sunrise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wyndham Reef Resort is the only ALL BEACHFRONT, ALL SUITE RESORT WITH AN ALL-INCLUSIVE PROGRAM ON GRAND CAYMAN. The white sands of Grand Cayman are your welcome mat and the crystal clear waters are your playground. Since all of our suites are right on the beach, you'll enjoy exploring, playing, snorkeling and diving, or soaking in the beauty just steps outside your door. This East End getaway, far from the crowds, provides a truly serene tropical escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Wyndham Reef Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Reef Hotel Grand Cayman
- Reef Hotel Grand Cayman
- Reef Resort Grand Cayman
- Wyndham Reef Resort Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands - East End