“Nice and Relaxing”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East End
Endwell, NY
“Nice and Relaxing”
Reviewed 25 November 2012

My wife and I spent Nov 10-18 here at the Reef for our 25th anniversary. First vacation in many years without taking our children. Spent much time on beach just relaxing. No problems getting beach chairs and plenty of palm tree shade if you wanted to get out of the sun. It was sunny every day, a bit windy the first two days. Resort was not crowded at this time of year. Our last full day there (Saturday 11/17) everyone was checking out, no one on beach except my wife and I. Room was very clean, everyone very friendly. Check in/out very quick and easy. Overall experience of the Reef and Grand Cayman was excellent.

Ate breakfast here a few days and the monday night buffet which was very good. You definately need a car when staying on east end.

Snorkeling - Best was under the dock at Morritts right next door. Water was calmer and clearer there. Last day I came face to face with a dolphin. Best way to snorkel is to start at the Morritts and drift back to the Reef. Snorkeling at the Reef was better the further out you went. Saw 2 reef sharks out past the White Sands boat that is tied up offshore.

Overall it was a great trip and I would definately stay here again.

1 Thank SWPickerel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
Whitman, Mass
Reviewed 22 November 2012

This was our first trip to Grand Cayman (what the heck were we wating for??) My aunt is a time share owner at this property and suggested we come down for this trip, her 5th time here.
So my husband and I booked a room and airfare via Cayman Air, a very reasonable price, I thought, and from what others said, even more reasonable than I thought.
My aunt and her husband, along with my gramma, another aunt and uncle and my cousin, her husband and their baby went on this vacation. My husband and I went for 5 days, the rest of the gang were there for 7 days.
I had requested a room near my family, and they did give us a perfect ground level room, about 6 units down from my family and right in front of 2 of the pools. (Every unit is ocean front).
Our room was a large studio, you could enter from the back of from the beach (sliders). Awesome walk in shower and also a jacuzzi tub which was seperate and kind of between the bathroom and the bedroom, but not obnoxiously so.
TV with limited cable (but if you are here to watch TV, you're in the wrong vacation spot, lol).
The beach is beautiful but be sure to bring water shoes. Very rocky.
Everything is close together yet you feel like you have the place to yourself. (does that make sense?) We heard all the units were rented out, but it didn't seem or feel crowded. Very kid friendly, too.
We didn't eat at the resort much, but we did on our last night there and let me tell you- the food we had was delicious. Highly recommend the chicken quesedilla.
Drinks are pricey 9as you can imagine). My aunt asked me to stop at duty free in the airport (Tampa) and get 2 bottles of rum- that cost $35 for 2 large bottle. That is the price of one bottle in Cayman, and single drinks are $8-$12 dollars at the bar. So if you think you might want a few drinks, consider the duty free shop.
The title of my review, "my relaxing vacation ever" holds true. This side of the island is just quieter, slower, calmer, nicer. We did go to the other side once, checked it out, and came back, content with the East Side.
This is a time share, so we went to the time share presentation. For going, you get either $100 food/drink credit of a trip to Stingray Beach. we did the Stingray Beach trip, and I highly recommend this (whether you just book it yourself or do it in exchange for the time share presentation).
About the time share: we got a guy name Kenneth. He was a bit salemanny, but that IS his job. We weren't really interested but we listened. He ended up handing us off to the guy who runs the time share end, and we ended up just chatting with him for about an hour (not even about time shares) and in the end, no one even approached us again at all. It was well worth the trip to Stingray Beach.
Not sure what else to say, I just want to get through to the reader that this in an awesome place to relax. If we go back (and there is a very good chance we would) we wouldn't even bother going to any other part of the island. (We would do stingray beach again).

Room Tip: I prefer a floor level but there are 3 floors and every room is ocean front.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank snoopydoo
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Overall the property is clean and maintained. I personally am not sure that is was the best fit for my husband and I based on the location. I liked the fact the beach area was large and quiet (Best asset of the resort), but we drove in to George Town each day. Most often it was to eat supper.

The units are condos. We had a studio so we had a microwave and a toaster. We had brought oatmeal packages from home so that was breakfast along with fruit. Lunch we snacked. Then supper we went to a restaurant. There is a grocery store across the street from the resort. It is small, but functional. I think if I could have convinced my husband to stay in the area for more of the supper meals - I would have felt more relaxed during the trip. We ate at the hotel only once in the Barefoot restaurant. We did not eat upstairs. We didnt eat Subway. We ate at the Italian place across the street once which is very good (Italian Kitchen I believe). We tried to go back - on a Monday - but it was closed.

The Resort has 4 large buildings. I was told the two on the right were for time share owners and the two on the left were for vacationers such as myself. My building was about 1/4 of a mile from the Resort office, restaurants, bar and beach towel pick up. Every day we had to hike to get new beach towels. We don't drink, so the bar was not an issue. I took a soft cooler along. We went across the street and bought water bottles. We froze one to use as our ice pack. Our room was on the 3rd floor. All rooms have a great ocean view. I think I'd pay more and get the rooms on the beach. Much more convenient.

My only real complaint during the stay... was my next door neighbor liked to play the music loud. The radio came on at 7AM every day and did not turn off until 11PM at night!!! Not good for going to bed early or sleeping in. If the resort was busier - I think the room noise would be an issue - I only had one person to deal with - not someone on the other side. I don't think there was anyone below us either. Plus you share balcony space.

Activies - sunbathed several days at the Reef and one day at 7 Mile beach. 7 mile beach was loud and congested. The beach at the Reef is rocky so I recommend water shoes, but I saw later you weren't suppose to stand because you'd do damage to the Reef. Basically it is meant to snorkel in and not stand in. I saw a few others wind surfing. It looked like fun. You can rent the gear from Red Sail which is next to the resort. Oh yeah - the water is very shallow. I was several hundred feet out and it was only waist deep.

They have two pools. One by the time share - it was nicer. The other one - the jets in the hot tub did not work.

I recommend you rent a car if you stay here. It allows you the freedom to leave the resort and not feel stranded. We drove to StingRay city (Rum POint). We drove to the Turtle Farm. We Drove to 7 mile beach. We drove to various restaurants and shopping. We drove to church. (The roads are curvy. The speed limit is slow. You drive on the left. They have many round-a-bouts which are annoying. I used my GPS system all the time - just to navigate the round-a-bouts in George Town.)

Would I stay there again - yes - the resort itself is ok.

Would I come back to Cayman, probably not - I've seen it now but I say that about every place. I like to see new things and not repeat. It has the same feel as all the carribean islands. It just has less poverty and feels very westernized.

Room Tip: Get one on the lower level so you had walk out your room on to the beach. If you need the bar - st...
2 Thank rafterlover
Littleton
Reviewed 16 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed in one of the privately owned units at the resort. Loved the location, it is nice and quiet. Lots of restaurants around the area that are not as pricey or as crowded as ones in town. The ocean view can't be beat. Fun to swim out front. It was very windy when we were here, so we could only go to the beach a few days but that could just be a November thing. The staff was very friendly, solved any problem that came up and were always professional. The one bedroom condo's are bright, roomy, filled with everything you would need. The only problem was that we were in a second floor unit and had people above us. Every time they moved there chairs or whatever up there on the tile we heard it. This especially was a probably when they got up at 5 or 6 every morning. We so were looking forward to sleeping in and it all vanished every morning as they moved the kitchen chairs around, one morning it sounded like they moved the whole apartment around. I would only recommend staying here if you were on the 3rd floor. We could hear some of the people next door but it wasn't near as disturbing as the noise from above that awoke us everyday.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Canadafun
Midland, Texas
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We went to Grand Cayman using our time share exchange and the Reef was recommended. We love the fact that all rooms have an ocean / beach view. The resort is on the north east end of the island therefore plenty of wind in November. We did however have 3 days of nice beach, snorkeling time. Our only complaint is the resort is very far from town and unless you rent a car, you are stuck. You can take a bus although only available once a day at 9:00am. Taxi cab fares are unbelievable. We did find one close local restaurant TUKKA which picks you up (free) and returns you to the resort, which was our favorite meal!!! FYI if you do trade using interval world, there is a hefty $300 fee added to your room. Ouch!!! Overall, BEAUTIFUL but probably will not return to the resort due to the additional fees and very little transportation options. White sands head guy, Allen took us on the most amazing snorkeling trip ever!! Definitely the highlight of our trip!!!

Room Tip: Rooms are all beautiful
3 Thank Beachbaby1986
NJ
Reviewed 10 November 2012

After much research I decided on The Reef due to reports of excellent snorkeling. Unfornately we came shortly after hurrican Sandy left. Most of our 8 days the water was too rough to snorkel. We were able to get out a couple of times. The snorkeling was ok. It was nice to not have to leave the resort to snorkel. More on that later. The Reef was much quieter than our last stay on SMB. Initially we were placed in the third building. When we checked in we found they did not have our main building first floor we requested (it was very likely the fault of our travel agent). They offered us a move when a room became available (along with an extra rum punch). Not a big problem.
When we were sent to the third building every single thing was immaculate, including the grout between the tile. Very clean. We moved over to the first building to have a walk out first level . Although upkept, the first building was not as immaculate as the third. It has not been updated, there were cracks in the tile and wear on the appliances. Certainly nothing that affected our stay but slightly surprising after seeing how well kept the other area was. The beds were surprisingly comfortable.
The concierge was exceptional. Very friendly and helpful. The always enquired to our thoughts of activities they suggested. We were pleased with all their suggestions. I wish I could remember the names of all the great girls who went out of their way to find us a good spot to snorkel where the water would be calm enough to enter as well giving us suggestiong of good places to eat.
There was plenty of beach chairs at any given time.
Avoid the restaurant if you want a decent meal or friendly service. We did not find either there.
We brought a bottle of rum from the duty free shop at the airport but decided to try drinks at the bar. They were pretty good. We went for happy hour on Friday. It made the drinks reasonably priced. We went back for "All day Happy Hour" on Saturday. We were not all that pleased when the drinks were not half price as expected. We checked the menu to make sure that indeed it advertised half priced happy hour all day, and it did. We spoke withe the bar tender who has waited on us the night before. He stated "only the mudslides are half price". No where did it say that as we would have been more than happy with mudslides. Instead we had full priced Bob Marley's.
The snorkeling, as mentioned, was rough most days. I found an area that was pretty interesting. When I went back to try to show my husband I was unable to find it again. I saw a decent amount of fish, some large lobster and a stingray. Nothing terribly colorful. Reef was not spectacular.
If you want to enjoy your vacation, avoid the time share presentation. We told Kathy we have sat thru several presentations and have only bought once. We told her we would not buy again. She talked us into it attending presentation as "it will pay for your snorkeling trip". We met with Tony whom we told within 5 min we would not be buying. We listened to him talk about his career and life on the island. He was pleasant enough until we told him why time shares did not make sense for us. He talked about the real estate market and how real estate is always a good investment. My husband stated that in this economy real estate is not a sure thing. We did not discuss pricing, requirement or advantages. We simply said if we were going to buy it would probably be in this area as I believe it may grow to become a popular area however there are no guarantees any real estate is safe. Tony stood up and said "You are not going to buy anything?" We stated no we are not. He stated very loudly and condescendingly "I suggest you do not do come to a presentation if you have no intention of buying". I told Tony that we said all along we were not going to buy but for some reason everyone thinks they will be the one the change our mind. We have certainly not had anyone so offended we didn't buy. It kinda ruined the afternoon. We did speak to the director of sales who discussed the price with us. I did think it was reasonable and we did discuss it for 2 days. Had the initial meeting went better we may have possibly been swayed.
Considering everything the trip was good. They certainly can not control the weather but they helped us salvage what we could. We enjoyed most of the staff. We LOVED the excursion company White Sand they had on premises. They were the highlight of our trip. They took us to an amazing snorkeling location that will forever be an awesome memory. We found the beach snorkeling to be better off Turtle Nest Inn. I spent an entire afternoon exploring there. If you like quiet and peaceful you will most likely enjoy this resort.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TCaniano
Los Lunas
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This is our 12th year of coming to The Reef as owners of an A & B unit & they look as good as they were the 1st year they were open. The setting is perfect, the grounds have been improved & are well cared for, also. Sitting on the porch is such a relaxing time, just enjoying our view of the water with very little noise, a very sparsely populated beach & light waves rising over the reef in the distance. The staff is very nice and some of the waitresses have been here for years so we all look forward to seeing each other every year. They all take such pride in taking great care of the patrons & they know how to get the parties going when there is live music! There are dinners on the beach, weddings on the beach, movies on the beach, etc but it still remains quiet at rooms away from the main building. There are a variety of rooms w/various amenities available. It's a great place w/a great staff to make your stay perfect!

Room Tip: A room over the pool or nearer to the main office/restaurants/bar is a bit noisier/busy with people.
2 Thank Starwish
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Wyndham Reef Resort? Share your experiences!