“Very Nice Hotel on Beautiful Beach but REMOTE”

Wyndham Reef Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East End
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Very Nice Hotel on Beautiful Beach but REMOTE”
Reviewed 4 June 2008

Let me start by saying... YOU NEED A CAR!!!!! Unless you plan to arrive at the hotel and not leave the room or beach, you WILL need a car. OK, having said that, the hotel is very nice, clean and on a beautiful beach which is raked daily!!!! We stayed for a week in 211A and were on our honeymoon. The rooms were nice and clean, however, the mattresses are VERY hard!!! We both came home with a sore back. Before arriving I contacted the concierge via e-mail and she arranged transportation from the airport to hotel for us!!! Definitely utilize this service, if not, the taxi at airport wanted $90US for the fare to hotel!!! INSTEAD, GET A CAR!!!!!!! When we arrived front desk was great, I arranged for the Barefoot Man through concierge and he wasn't overly friendly, I think he said he had a bad back!! However, toward the end of our trip, I teased him about that and he was much nicer!!!! The food was average on Barefoot Man night, however, we also did Italian night and it was good!!! The servers that night were GREAT and they deserve to be recognized!!! Great job guys and chef!!! The bar... after 4 days there and waiting on drinks and waiting on drinks and waiting on drinks... the service was very slow!!! I'm not sure if they had A D D but we'd order a drink and they would say OK and then we'd wait as they served others BOTH who have been in line before us and ones who came AFTER us!!! We met a great couple there from South Carolina and we'd order 4 drinks and we'd receive 3, must be the A D D !!!! I never did get that one!!! However, like I said after the 4th day of this, I went to front desk and asked to speak with the owner. I was told he was not on the property, I requested nicely that I didn't care if he was in Alaska I would like to speak with him/her. At that point, the very NICE gentleman at the front desk put me on the phone with another gentleman and I explained what was going on at the bar and within 5 minutes of my return to the bar, WE HAD GREAT SERVICE!!!!!!! I have to give it to the management for their VERY prompt attention to the matter!!! I'd like to mention we NEVER had any problems when Sandy was bartending, so HATS OFF TO YOU SANDY!!!!! Maybe the management should have you give the other bartenders a training class!!!!! All in all, this is a great hotel for honeymooners, but if you are wanting to be in total hussle, bussle, you should stay somewhere else. We did utilize the grocery store across the street and boy are we glad we did. Our lunches when we went into town for excursions ran $100US for 2 people and the food was very below average!!!!!

• Liked — The beautiful beach and remote location for relaxation
  • Disliked — the slow service from bar
4 Thank TiffToFish
TomCayman, Director at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this review, 6 June 2008
Not to make a joke about it, but if any professional servers or bartenders want a job in the beautiful Cayman Islands... contact us !

We have a great team here, but we are very short staffed, and it seems to always be a struggle to recruit to the islands.

We have some more staff coming online that will improve the speed of drinks service etc, but we are growing fast so need still more.

All we want is some experience and a passionate desire to create great guest experiences and be part of a first class and happy team :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
Washington
Reviewed 2 June 2008

We stayed at the Reef Resort in May of 2008. First impression was that the resort was beautiful and the ocean was ideal. We were put in a first floor room 109B. They were doing renovations in the room directly adjacent to ours and the noise was deafening!. If you’ve ever seen that Orbitz commercial where the husband keeps trying to talk to his wife but can’t due to construction noise, then you can imagine what it was like. At first we laughed about it but after two or three hours, it was not so funny. We asked the front desk if they could relocate us which they did. Our new room was on the second floor and was just as nice as the one we had before sans the construction noise.

The room was very clean, if a bit cramped (we got the studio). After checking out the 1 bedroom I would highly recommend the upgrade. The bed was comical as it was about a foot off the ground and the mattress was very thin. The balcony was nice though it was odd to walk out and see your neighbors. The view was second to none and it was very quiet.

We did the all-inclusive option which is definitely not worth the extra money! Unless you intend to drink your body weight it costs more money than you will spend on food and booze. If we had it to do over again we would self-cater. That being said, the food at the bar was really good. The restaurant food was good but the service was horrible!!! It took them almost two hours to serve us one night! We laughed about it because all the food comes from the restaurant to the bar so you would think if anything would be slow it would be the bar.

It was stormy most of the days we were there so the snorkeling was not very good, but I think the same would have been true anywhere. I heard other residents say that it was better on the clearer days.

We did the timeshare presentation in exchange for the Sting Ray City trip. The trip was great, the time share presentation was okay. They do ask you to make a decision right away which we do not like to do.

The resort is really really really far from everything! So unless you like to drive don’t book this resort! My husband likes to be “away from it all’ which is why we booked here but we both agreed that we would probably book elsewhere next time in the Caymans. All in all, I guess this would be a good choice for families or older people but not for anyone reasonably young or who wants to hang out after 10pm.

• Liked — The beautiful beaches
  • Disliked — Far from everything and nothing going on after 10pm
3 Thank ambrai5
TomCayman, Director at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this review, 4 June 2008
I try not to respond to any reviews unless I have something substantive to say, but it seems like recently there is a lot happening :)

A couple of points on this particular review :

First, apologies to the guest for the "joke TV ad" type noise. Just so future guests know, it is not renovation as such, but we are installing top of the line rolldown hurricane shutters on all units at the resort.

To do each unit does require drilling through concrete walls and takes a couple of hours per unit. We have tried very hard to keep this far away from occupied rooms yet still get this done in time for Hurricane season... but the problem is, the guests are coming in droves... we've been full almost all of April and most of May... so we were caught between a rock and a hard place.

Anyway, soon be done now......and we will be the first resort in Cayman to have permanently fixed Hurricane Shutters in place.

Why do this ? Well, whilst Hurricanes are a rare event, if a storm warning of any kind does come in, we have 166 beachfront bedrooms and would have to, as a precaution, start boarding up with plywood several days ahead of a pending storm, causing disruption to our guests whether or not the storm actually ended up coming our way. Now, by investing in electric rolldown shutters, this can be left a lot later, so reducing any negative impact on the guests.

Probably more information that readers needed to know, but hey, when I research travel I like a lot of info myself :)

Re the bed it's a solid wood four post bed on european style wood slats, not a box spring.... and most people like it :) As to the mattress, as noted in a prior response.... the new mattresses will be in the units soon..... we're busily unloading containers (just did four containers this morning!) full of new furniture and supplies for tehe 42 new suites we open early July.

As to the final comments of the reviewer, broadly speaking I'd agree... we are "far away from it all", and if you are looking for a nightlife scene, probably not a good choice... although as the reviewer noted, they were here last week when the weather was unusually grey and bleak, so most guests were not out socialising in the rain and grey skies..... though today is gorgeous and sunny and the beach bar is packed :)

...long response.. but if you think I'm verbose in writing, don't get me on the phone unless you have a couple of hours to spare !
Kansas City
Reviewed 30 May 2008

Will try to not repeat what I have already read unless I need to put some emphasis on a topic.

The hotel is

1. Isolated (an hour from Georgetown if the weather is clear)
2. Good food at the outside bar but very limited menu (typical on the island)
3. ocean area is mix of sandy/smooth rock (think shoe box size) rocks) and barrier reef formations that are totally flat and covered with 8 inch ling seaweed grass. Very sallow out for a few hundred feet. Get out the snorkel.
4. Room was a one bedroom suite, very nice. No rugs anywhere due to the sand I guess. Two pull down trundle beds and a sleeper couch that is love seat size (gets only one star). Really needs a full size couch. High-speed Internet is $5 per day or $20 per week and is wireless with the antennas out on the beach so you can get a fair to good signal in the living room and nothing much in the bedroom which is all the way in the back away from the beach. The noise factor needs improvement fast. We were here for 8 nights and the first few were fine but then a new family moved in and it was a constant barrage of voices. They did quiet down after 10 but until then, my wife and I favorite sport was listening to what the next topic of discussion next door would be!

Overall, will try a different hotel next time but if you are looking for seclusion and a place without many kids The Reef is 3 1/2 stars.

• Liked — Isolation
  • Disliked — noise
3 Thank wmralls
TomCayman, Director at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this review, 2 June 2008
Many thanks for the review.

A few clarifications and notes :
- It is indeed the end of the dry season...right now the weather is grey and overcast, and has been since about May 28th (middle of last week). Sometime between middle and end of May we do tend to get 7 days or so of pretty much overcast weather as the overlying weather patterns change from winter to summer wind patterns.... (boy, sounds like I'm auditioning for a job on the weather channel!).... but anyway, that will soon pass.... and rainy season beyond that point means...HOT !... with occasional thundershowers that clear, leaving more HOT ! sunshine :)
- Towards the end of last week the tide was at the lowest I have ever seen it here, some of the rock pads the reviewer noted were exposed for the first time in the eight years since we opened... I'd love to hear from an expert in tides as to why we seem to be getting lower tide levels in the last couple of years..... so, generally water levels are a bit higher, but yes, great for snorkelling at any water level.... and we do have two large areas of sandy sea bottom where one can easily enter without any beach shoes for swimming or snorkelling.
- As before, we know about the noise issue that affects some (a lot less than half) of our units, and as noted before... a) we are on the case, and b) wherever possible we are trying to avoid putting guests in such adjoining rooms.
- We don't have any sleeper sofas in any of our rooms, what we have is pull down "Murphy" beds. Yes, the sofas in some of the units (18 of 152, to be precise) are love seats, but those units also have two nice armchairs and have an occupancy limit of four people, so there is seating for four there :)
- re the last comment on not many kids... all depends on the time of year... not many kids in late May, but June and July, quite a few more.. but hey, lots of room on the beach to spread out, so can't say we've ever had complaints about too many people of any type n the beach !

Looking forward to a great summer, hope to see some more TripAdvisor regulars here soon !
houston texas
Reviewed 25 May 2008

Not enough words can say how happy we were. Away from it all and very relaxing. Best kept secret!!!! :)

• Liked — beachfront , view
1 Thank kg042264
indianapolis
Reviewed 17 May 2008

We did alot of research before picking the Reef...it was exactly what we were looking for. The location was perfect-it was not crowded at all and the weather was gorgeous. The food was outstanding- we ate at the Lighthouse twice-pricey but everything we had there was good, including their desserts! We also ate at Calipso Grill in Morgan's Bay which was an hour drive, but it was worth it!! We tried to have dinner at the Grand Old House as it was reccommended, but they were booked for a private function so maybe next time. Kierra the coincerge was very nice and helpful. My husband enjoyed the snorkeling/stingray city trip-I opted to stay on the boat, but he had a wonderful time. We also listened to the sales pitch for the time share-mostly because we were interested in how it worked and they gave us the stingray city trip at no cost, which was nice. The sales pitch wasn't bad-it's just that they want a decision right away and we both like to look at our options before making a spur of the moment large investment, as well as pay yearly dues.

The only complaints my husband and I had was the bed in our room-it was very hard and uncomfortable. I had a difficult time sleeping and we both woke up with our back and neck hurting. That would be the only reason I would not return. We did hear our neighbors several nights in a row past 11pm, however they were not intentionally loud, it's just that the walls are thin and according to management responses from a few recent reviews they are in the process of fixing this.

All in all, it was a wonderful , relaxing trip.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The Bed
2 Thank lovethebeach30
TomCayman, Director at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this review, 18 May 2008
Mattresses and bedding are one of the areas that all hotels are focussing on more and more these days.

Five years ago, who knew what "thread count" meant ? :)

Anyway, at theReef we are upgrading all our mattresses (to high quality Serta plush mattresses) and they just arrived in a container this week !

The thing is, though, we can only have one type of mattress, and the most popular mattress is medium/firm, so that is what we have gone with.

I would, then, appreciate the reviewer contacting me (by PM / Email) to let me know which room number they were in, so I can determine if they were on an "old" or "new" mattress.

I really love TripAdvisor and the feedback we get from reviews and forum postings, as we are committed to driving improvements based on what our guests tells us they are looking to see, from building a beach bar, to introducing WiFi on the beach, shade palapas, new mattresses etc.
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 14 May 2008

What a great getaway from the hustle and bustle of George Town and Seven Mile Beach. In a great location to enjoy everything the island has to offer (so long as you rent a car). A short drive to town and also a short drive to Rum Point and Cayman Kai. Plus, it is nice to relax and snorkle on a secluded and private beach area. Would definitely return to Reef Resort.

P.S. Be sure to drink the Rum Punch and Blue Margaritas at the beach bar. Quite tasty!!

• Liked — All ocean view rooms and private and secluded atmosphere
  • Disliked — It is a bit of a hike to get to SMB and George Town
3 Thank Southern_Land_Shark
boston
Reviewed 13 May 2008

Seriously, we can't say enough about how great the Reef Resort is to us. It was our second trip back to Grand Cayman and the Reef Resort. We couldn't stay anywhere else.

We stayed in a smaller room this time. First we booked the studio suite which was nice but not our thing. The door in between suites was paper thin and you could hear EVERYTHING the neighbor's were doing. We upgraded to a deluxe studio near the pool/dock and it was much better. The staff was very accommodating to our change. After that the whole trip was terrific.

The concierge was a huge help booking a fishing trip. They are super knowledgeable about the whole island. Go fishing with Phil Bodden at Chip Chip Charters. His stories enough were worth the price.

We ate at Over the Edge twice. A local bar/restaurant on the water. The turtle steak is not to be missed.

You have to rent a car which we did from McCurley's who were great as always. It's super easy to drive on the island and everytime you go out on the road you'll see a new site.

You have to go to the Reef. We met so many couples that stayed on seven mile beach and then the reef and said they'll never stay on seven mile beach again. It truly is a getaway and Grand Cayman and it's people are truly our favorite.

The online pictures don't do this place justice. You just have to be there to experience it.

• Liked — Snorkeling right off the private beach
  • Disliked — n/a
4 Thank jingram913
TomCayman, Director at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this review, 16 May 2008
We do recognise that we need to improve on sound insulation on the connecting doors on our newer units.

theReef is known for our tranquility and peace and quiet (we have a "quiet resort" policy after 10pm, we don't allow personal watercraft etc). Heck, we even turn off the fountain at one of the pools every night so that guests can better hear the waves lapping on the shore.

As such, anything less than optimal sound insulation is not acceptable, so we WILL fix this.

We do want to make sure that when this is fixed, the job is done "right first time", so it took us some time to research what we believe will be the best possible solution.

We do now have that decision, and the custom solution we have decided upon will be installed in a test units in a few weeks from now. Assuming that works (which we are confident of), we will move as rapidly as possible to fit this solution to all affected units.

I would also note that on July 1st we open our final phase of (42) oceanfront rooms, and with those new rooms opening, we will in almost all cases be able to ensure that guests are accommodated without any potential connecting door noise issues until such time as we get our new sound insulation systems installed.
Also consider these accommodations in or near East End
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,979 reviews
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Wyndham Reef Resort? Share your experiences!