“StayCation!”

Wyndham Reef Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in East End
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Took the family for 5 days at this beautiful establishment which is located in a peaceful section of PARADISE. The management and staff were all friendly and great. The BARBECUE night is awesome! If you don't mind the 40 minute drive and want to get away from the rush and traffic of 7-Mile book your stay at the Reef Resort. All amenities (grocery store, souvenir shop, restaurant etc.) are across the street. For authentic local food! only 5 minute away.

Room Tip: first floor.
5  Thank cjCaymanIslands
There are newer reviews for Wyndham Reef Resort

Reviewed 28 August 2013

I'll start off with the good, the rooms have a fabulous view of the ocean and they are spacious in size. The bad is the ocean is not a swimming ocean as there is much coral and sea grass all over. When I think of the carribean I want to be where the ocean is crystal clear. If you want that you have to go to seven mile beach which is about 50 minutes from the reef. There is also rum point but although much better than the reef the water still isn't as crystal clear as it is on seven mile. The ugly was the rooms bathroom. The toilet had permanent stains and scratches in it that looked gross. The tub had one missing tile and a few others just about falling off. It needed a total overhaul. The room was dated but that didn't bother me as much as the horrible bathroom. The kitchen was missing many pots and pans, plates and silverwear.

We ate at some fabulous restaurants, The Lighthouse for one, The Lobster Pot, Tukka, The Rum Point Restaurant and the little Italian place across the street from the Reef was very good also.

If I go back I will definately stay on seven mile.

Room Tip: All rooms have views of the ocean
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
23  Thank Misterfreshy
JakeMorgan72, Head Concierge at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Thanks for taking time to leave a review and for allowing us an opportunity to clarify your points. We are really glad to hear you enjoyed our fantastic views but disappointed that you were not happy with your room. We implore all guests to contact us with any issues whilst on site so we can do our very best to resolve them. We can’t find any record of these issues being reported during your stay. It also sounds that perhaps the water may have been a little cloudy while you were here and for that we are sorry. Please keep in mind however that we are a tiny island in the middle of the Caribbean Sea, as such the water conditions are the same all of the way around the island. Our sea is the same crystal clear sea that you will see 20 miles away on seven mile beach; the water clarity is no different. The main difference between the West and the East of the island is the depth of the reefs and the amount of visitors they receive. They tend to be shallower on the East End which usually means you can see a greater variety of aquatic life whilst snorkeling. Less visitors also means our reefs are generally a little healthier.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Besides a bartender that assumed I would be cool with chatting about smoking pot (no thanks bro), the Reef was AWESOME. Very clean, comfortable, beautiful room with balcony. The beach is long enough to walk up and down to see different views of the scenery. The hotel is on the more quiet eastern side of the island, so we really got to "get-away" and enjoy ourselves. There's not much more to say - feel confident staying at the Reef.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Justin E
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This was our first trip to Grand Cayman, August 10-17, 2013, and we enjoyed every minute. The resort is in the East Bay area, the "quiet" end of the island. Not boring, however! We enjoyed that all rooms face the ocean, and the resort has direct beach/pool access. We felt very safe letting our kids run between pool and beach as we could see them from both sides. The Reef is located right next door to the Morritt's Resort and you can wander down freely. The snorkeling under their pier is better than at the reef, and they have a swim up pool bar with fun pool activities in the afternoon. However, we preferred the more relaxing atmosphere and friendly people at the Reef.

Definitely rent a car for the week! Its easy to drive around this island, although you do have to drive on the left which took some getting used to. We brought our GPS from home and were very grateful to have it! Sunday afternoon at Rum Point was great. We drove to Georgetown on Monday a.m., only one cruise ship was in port so it was easy to do some tax-free tourist shopping. We headed up the coast from there to spend the afternoon swimming with dolphins at Dolphin Discovery, Zoe the head trainer was great. We did an hour at the Turtle Farm which was enough, but allow more time if you want to use the water slide and lagoon area. Check out the Blow Holes, and definitely try the local eateries like Over the Edge, Tukka's and The Lighthouse.

1  Thank Jennifer E
Reviewed 18 August 2013

It is rare to find a hotel where almost everything is perfect, and this is one of them!
Arrival- The Reef is extremely easy to find and it's impossible to miss on the Queen's Highway. Upon checking in, we encountered David who was one of the nicest customer service personnel I have ever met. He was very detailed in giving us information about the hotel, payment and credit card options, grocery store times, anything you could think of. He was also very patient with us too. He gave us three free rum punch vouchers for the bar. We told him our grandmother doesn't drink alcohol... so he gave her a non-alcoholic voucher AND let us keep the extra!
Room- The rooms are divided up into a few buildings. Remember, every single room at this property is beach front so you are never skimping on the view! We requested a ground-level room since my grandma can't go up stairs and this was accommodated for us. Our room was magnificent, and if you can get a ground-level room, go for it! It was a two bedroom suite but really felt like three bedrooms because in the living area there are two pull-down beds. There were two porch doors where we could just walk outside and jump in the ocean. Such a wonderful feeling. The porch was large with four chairs and a table, as well as a shower faucet so you can wash sand off of you before coming in. There are also BBQ grills around the property that you can borrow too. Inside, there was a total of three TV's, one which had a sound system and DVD player. The kitchen had everything you could possibly need, from a toaster to a dishwasher to dish cloths and paper towels. There was also a bottle of champagne in our fridge! Looks like the last person left it and David said it was okay if we wanted to drink it. The bedrooms were spacious and there were two bathrooms. Two closets were locked up, I'm assuming for the time-share owners which was fine. We also had a safe, and individual fans in each room along with a great module for temperature control (as we get cold very easily with the AC believe it or not).
The part I loved the most about this resort was the sleep quality. At every single hotel I’ve been to I have always been woken up early in the morning by kids, adults, construction, chickens, you name it. Or I’m kept up late at night by rowdy people. I had the BEST nights of sleep ever at this hotel. The property was so peaceful and quiet at night, no loud music or annoying kids. I could actually sleep for 12 hrs straight if I wanted to. The beds were average, but the lack of annoying noises made it surreal for me and I loved it.
WiFi- For internet, simply sign up with David- we chose the $40 per week option as we needed to use it a lot to look up phone numbers, tour times, weather, etc. This actually isn't a bad deal compared to other resorts I've been to. You can also opt to just do $3 per half hour but after that half hour is up you have to sign up again. You also can't use the internet code you get on two separate devices at once, one will kick the other off. But after signing up I had perfect wifi on my phone all around the room, beach and pools, and it went out only a couple of times when I tried to Skype with my boyfriend in the Bahamas but that's expected!
Gym- Very nice and modern, almost as nice as the gym I pay for back at home! There were two large changing areas, water, and towels. There were a couple of bikes, treadmills, an elliptical, and a TV with cable as well as a stretching area and weights. Everything was so clean and the machines worked fine. I was impressed. You just need to activate your card at the front desk free of charge and you can use the gym.
-Tours- Daina, at the concierge desk, was also wonderful in booking a tour for us. We couldn't reach the Atlantis submarine tour for some reason when we called, but she did it for us, and when we mentioned there was a discount on their website she happily looked it up and confirmed the discount. She also had great advice on where to snorkel and things to see in West Bay, and was also very patient with us. Another gentleman at the concierge desk (unfortunately I can't remember his name) even walked onto the beach with me and showed me where to snorkel and which spots are a bit dangerous, and what kinds of animals I could see.
-Food/drinks- We did not eat at the resort at all but we did go to the bar. Both male bartenders were very nice and told us about drink specials and such, but there was one female bartender who seemed extremely aloof and annoyed. Whatever, the other nice people made up for it. As for food, you can walk across the street to The Italian Kitchen which was very good and had some unique food. You can also drive a few minutes to Tukka- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Or you can even have them deliver and they have a shuttle to pick up guests too. The grocery store was across the street too where we bought a few days worth of groceries for 5 people and it came to about $130 USD. One thing that Americans MUST remember about this island is the exchange rate- unfortunately they use Euros here, so if you pay in USD, you are paying 20% MORE. I did find the entire island to be one of the most expensive places I’ve been to because of this. I highly recommend that people go to The Wreck Art Gallery in front of Tukka for souvenirs. This local spot is 50% cheaper than any other gift shop you’ll find on the island. For example, in Georgetown you will find black coral bracelets for $300 and up. Here, the guy was selling them for under $100, and some pendants as cheap as $20. You will find more authentic, local items here too, instead of the Made in China items everywhere else.
Beach- The beach itself was fine to me. It was swept every morning to get the sea grass off. However, the snorkeling was the only down side to the trip. Of course this is nothing the hotel can control, but we arrived at the end of a tropical storm passing through. Because of that, for 3 days the water was choppy, murky, and the currents were STRONG. I’ve gone drift diving off Cozumel and I’d compare these currents to that intensity. The winds were 15-20 mph and when it seemed like the wind died down the current was still very strong, you had to exert a lot of effort to just swim back to shore in some points. Top it with the rumor that guests have been swept out of the channel in the middle of the reef, and you’re talking about a scary snorkeling experience. The reef itself is very far out, and to get to it you have to swim across fields of sand and sea grass while jet skiers and big dive boats are passing through. So I didn’t even get a chance to see the reef; I’d basically have to pay for a snorkeling tour so a boat could take me out instead, or you could always scuba dive too so that the surface choppiness doesn’t mess with you. If the weather had cooperated I think it would be much better. I did do a ‘drift snorkel’- started at the pink dock at Morrit’s next door, then ended at theReef’s dock further down. I saw lots of chub, tarpon, starfish, anemones, and a stingray, flounder and barracuda. But you’ll just encounter tons and tons of sea grass and very little reef unless you go farther out as mentioned, and I think the snorkeling here is below average compared to other places I’ve been too- again because of the weather.
We also chose to go hiking a couple of mornings. At the farthest end of the property- close to a pink house- there is a sandy road behind the bushes. We walked on this for a while and found three brackish ponds where a few egrets and herons were hunting. It was cool just exploring on our own. We also saw crabs and hermit crabs and lots of butterflies. Not much else to see but definitely cool! I felt extremely safe walking on the roads and past the houses and businesses, not one person bothered me or honked at me.
Another thing with the beach- CATS! Some people hate cats; I adore all animals, so I was in love with the fact that there were a few friendly, well-fed cats on the beach and property. This entire island does a great job of helping stray animals, I actually did see stray dogs but they had collars so I was happy they were being looked after by someone at least. One cat, which we named Bacon, was so friendly he hopped on my brother’s lap and started purring and cuddling with him. Another calico one walked into our room and just hung out. We picked him up to put him outside and he didn’t scratch or bite. I thought it was so cool. Keep in mind cats keep the rat population down so they’re not so bad!
I would definitely come back to this hotel for the relaxation factor. Good sleep, great gym and activities, nice beach, lovely people, and away from the touristy areas. Loved it! Every single employee we ran into (except for the female bartender) was extremely nice and welcoming and just added to the experience!

Room Tip: Get a ground level room if possible- walk right out onto the beach! Buildings E and F are quieter
12  Thank threelittlefish856
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My wife and I travelled with her mother for our first time to the Reef Resort in Grand Cayman July 20-27.

Overall we were impressed with the resort and the Island.

Not related to resort but worth mentioning is the arrival at the Cayman airport was hectic as all the arrival gates were occupied when we landed so we had to wait 20 min or so on runway to get to gate and return departure was even crazier and I was told that this is same issue every Saturday as all flights are scheduled into and out at almost same time of 1:30 and 2:30 approx so be patient.

We rented a suziku sx4 for $200 US for the week (plus $45 gas US) from Avis Cisco and picked up at office next to airport easily. I got confused on roundabouts as the exits are not clearly marked and main road size is same as side road size so I recommend gps is your concerned but as we had nothing but time we soon found main road to travel to Reef resort and it was easy 1 hr trip approx. I higly recommend to rent a car as one couple we met said it was $100 just to get to reef one way! Just remember left side is right side and if you are on right side there wont be much left!

We stocked up for breakfast and lunches at grcoery store in town but you can easily shop at store across from resort. We ate at a different restaurant evry night but Barefoot man was on vacation so the only place we did not eat was the Reef itself. We liked the Lighthouse and Tukka very much but our favorite was the Italian across the road. We took one day trip to Rum point and brought a cooler. There are free chairs and shade their and parking and we also bought some drinks and snacks. We did another day trip to 7 mile beach and parked at main public beach. There are free chairs and umbrellas but we rented from local;s for $20 for 3 chairs and umbrella and were away from main cruise crowds and we like to support locals when we can.

The reef resort beach as stated in many reviews has allot of coral and we found one place where we could walk out on the sand but you will want water socks if you have them. The snorkelling was pretty good and I saw huge tarpins under docks and stingrays. I met folks who saw turtles but i never saw one.

We rented a 2 bedroom suite and were very happy with layout and cleanliness. Check in was a brezze and all staff very freindly. We had no bugs at resort at all the whole week and only place we had issue was Lighthouse restaruant and they gave out spray. Bar was nice but drinks are very pricy ($24 US for 2 mud slides!) They have happy hours but for non ice drinks only. Bring your own drinks to save $$$. We loved having corona's evryday on the beach.

I dont know what else to say other than we really enjoyed our trip and my wife's mother loved it and we higly recommend tp stay at this resort if you want to get away from the crowds as 7 mile looked very very busy to us.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rob_DebBarrieOntario
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We just returend from our 2nd visit to the Reef - so obviously we like it here:)

This resort is great for families with young kids and for couples looking for a quiet vacation away from the crowds of the other end of the island. We ran into a few young couples without kids who were looking for more nightlife - they would have been better off staying on seven mile beach.

Its great for young kids because its easy to see them while they run back and forth between the pools and beach without feeling like you are constantly chasing them.

Every room is beach front and near the beach/pool. I was concerned at first that it might be noisy but it hasnt been an issue. Its mainly families with young kids (who dont stay up late) and middle aged couples so this is not a party resort. The pool also closes at 10pm.

The resort is going to start renovating guest rooms this fall so when you check in make sure you try to get a room away from the construction.

Some tips that we wish we knew before our first visit:
1. Definitely bring water shoes for the ocean - it will make getting in/out easier since it is a little rocky.
2. Rent a car - you can rent a car from thrifty at the airport for about what airport transfers will cost and you'll need the car to get around the east end.
3. Grocery store - there is a fosters express right across from the resort (an easy walk) but we usually stop at fosters by the airport once we land. The fosters express does not have a good meat selection (although you can place an order and they will have it from the main fosters the next day).
4. Liquor store - is right across from the resort (right next to fosters). They will deliver to the resort if you dont want to leave the beach:)
5. Where to eat - the food at the reef is good and we definitely eat a few meals there but we also like to leave the resort for dinner most evenings. A few places that we like are Italian Kitchen (walk across the street), Over the Edge, Bamboo Chopsticks, Tukka, Kaibo and Vivian's Kitchen. All are on the east end of the island and an easy drive. Tukka will pick you up at the resort - be sure to get a take out menu as they deliver to the hotel.

Room Tip: The resort is going to start renovating guest rooms this fall so when you check in make sure you try...
8  Thank etbeachvacation
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Wyndham Reef Resort? Share your experiences!