The positive points for this resort is that it is small, out of the way and great for snorkeling right off the beach. The disadvantage is that since beach is great for snorkeling, it's not that great for swimming without a mask. There are rocks and sea grass all over the place, which is why the snorkeling was good.
I loved it, and loved the fact that I could snorkel whenever I felt like it , without paying someone to drive me to a good location. Perfect for me! Most people go down to the hotel next door (Morritt's ), start at their pier which is full of fish, big and small, and then float with the current back to the Reef's pier. My husband went on several excellent scuba trips, arranged right at the Reef.
I would highly recommend renting a car if you can get a good deal. The Reef is clear on the other side of the island from the rest of the action. Nice to be able to get to town and other locations on the island.
There was a grocery store and a liquor store across the street, and normally an Italian restaurant, but it was closed because we were there at the slow season (Sept. 7 - 14th). We ate in most nights, but did try a local country restaurant called Vivine's Kitchen. Wonderful food! Very causal, they bring the food out to you at picnic tables overlooking the water. There was a Subway available at the Reef, for quick meals. The Reef also has a nice café, and restaurant, but we never ate there so I can't comment.
The staff were all very nice and helpful. All the rooms had beautiful views of the water. And it looked bright and freshly painted. Everything was nice and clean and in good working order.
If I go back the Grand Cayman, I'd definitely go back to the Reef.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wyndham Reef Resort is the only ALL BEACHFRONT, ALL SUITE RESORT WITH AN ALL-INCLUSIVE PROGRAM ON GRAND CAYMAN. The white sands of Grand Cayman are your welcome mat and the crystal clear waters are your playground. Since all of our suites are right on the beach, you'll enjoy exploring, playing, snorkeling and diving, or soaking in the beauty just steps outside your door. This East End getaway, far from the crowds, provides a truly serene tropical escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Wyndham Reef Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Reef Hotel Grand Cayman
- Reef Hotel Grand Cayman
- Reef Resort Grand Cayman
- Wyndham Reef Resort Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands - East End