This was our first trip to Grand Cayman and to the Reef Resort and we loved it. We took a studio for 2 weeks as part of a package with Air Canada Vacations. We had superb views of the ocean and the cloud formations lit up by the sun setting behind us. Landscaping staff worked very hard to keep the beach clean of seaweed and eelgrass during the somewhat stormy, but warm weather we experienced in early November. A studio fully met our needs for preparing basic breakfasts and lunches using groceries from the Fosters Express (IGA) across the road. For evenings we mostly ate at the beach bar. We were glad to see they support Cayman Islands Brewery with a full line up of their beers. We particularly liked Ironshore Bock (7% ABV, available all year round) and Pirates Gold Lager (4.5 % ABV, brewed around Pirates Week). Collin’s recommendation “barrel-matured spiced rum” was something special. You can keep your bar bill under control by also patronizing the local liquor store. Los Tropicanos at the Monday night welcome party were great fun; Barefoot Man not so much (unless you have the smutty mind of an 11-year old boy and plenty of pina coladas on board). Snorkelling under the docks of The Reef and the adjacent Morritts resort was amazing in terms of the number, variety and size of fish. Tarpon were huge but harmless, as were a reef shark (Morritts) and nurse shark (The Reef) that came by. I would also recommend the early morning Stingray Sandbar and snorkel trip with White Sands Water Sports, based on site. We rented a car for a couple of days and should probably have kept it longer. We also used the very basic resort bikes (backpedal to brake) to access nearby beaches. Beaches were un-crowded, particularly once you got away from the resort to the less-developed areas North and South. There was a horrifying amount of plastic washed up on shore from the cruise ships and the adjacent Islands, but we were pleased to see a few other tourists picking up stuff, as we did on our morning and evening walks. The staff were all marvellous, particularly Cathy the Concierge Lady. She significantly exceeded our expectations in terms of knowledge, organization and communication. She was also helpful with access to bird books, bird and butterfly recognition cards and flower books which were perfect for us amateur naturalists. How does she manage to be so chirpy every morning with her phone messages (no ring) about the day’s events.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wyndham Reef Resort is the only ALL BEACHFRONT, ALL SUITE RESORT WITH AN ALL-INCLUSIVE PROGRAM ON GRAND CAYMAN. The white sands of Grand Cayman are your welcome mat and the crystal clear waters are your playground. Since all of our suites are right on the beach, you'll enjoy exploring, playing, snorkeling and diving, or soaking in the beauty just steps outside your door. This East End getaway, far from the crowds, provides a truly serene tropical escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Wyndham Reef Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Reef Hotel Grand Cayman
- Reef Hotel Grand Cayman
- Reef Resort Grand Cayman
- Wyndham Reef Resort Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands - East End