“Not the best place but lovely view” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wyndham Reef Resort

Wyndham Reef Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East End
CT
“Not the best place but lovely view”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

We have stayed in many timeshares throughout the Caribbean (St Martin, Curacao, Cancun, to name a few) and while our unit was very clean as were the grounds, the lobby and restaurant left something to be desired. Our unit was on the 3rd flood with a lovely view. The reception area is sad looking compared to other 5 star Interval timeshares we have visited. The restaurant decor was awlful - ripped blinds on the windows, dark walls, wobbly tiled top table. The food was fair. I had called the concierge with a couple questions and while I was told they would get back to me with answers, we never heard anything. Next door is the Morritt's, we walked through the lobby and restaurant and there is absolutely no comparison. The Morritt's appearance was heads above that of The Reef and I can't believe The Reef is considered a 5 star while the Morritt's isn't. The resort location is wonderful, away from the hype of Seven Mile. All rooms face the water which is wonderful.

8 Thank ruthieCt
JakeMorgan72, Head Concierge at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review; we appreciate all feedback and work hard to meet the expectations of our guests.

We are proud recipients of the Interval International Premier award (which is only awarded to a small percentage of resorts throughout the world) and indeed there is only one other resort in Cayman which has received this prestigious award. In addition to this (but not limited to) we have a AAA diamond rating, the Expedia insiders select award, the Trip Advisor certificate of excellence and the Family vacation award for one of the top all inclusive resorts throughout the Caribbean. These awards are given based on location, facilities, and service. We are proud to have received these awards consistently since 2009. If other resorts on Island have not received these awards it would be because of one or more of these reasons.

I’m sorry that you felt our concierge service was lacking, we take great pride in our customer service skills with this dept but it appears we fell short on this occasion, please accept my apologies.

We are the first to admit that we have to work hard each day and we will always have room for improvement. Your comments regards one of our restaurants has been passed directly to our F&B director to look into the issues you have mentioned. Regards our reception you would be correct in stating that it is not as large as some of the major hotels, however as we are more of a boutique resort we do feel it currently serves its purpose.

Thanks again for the review and happy travels for the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
Norwalk, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed here from Dec. 4 thru Dec. 9. Also stayed here for 5 nights approx. 5 years ago. This time from check-in to check-out every thing was perfect. Beautiful property and beach. All rooms are ocean view. The beach was raked and cleaned every day. Pools and hot tub always clean. Our room was cleaned every morning. Flat screen TV's with the majority of the USA channels. Great food at the beach bar. There is a grocery store and liquor store right across the street. Will definitely stay here again.

2 Thank TerryMoe
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

My wife & I stayed here for a week-end. The Reef Resort is at the extreme eastern point of Grand Cayman, a full +-45 minute drive from George Town and the airport. The area is very quiet and excellent if you want a something off the beaten path.

We really liked the accommodations ; the bed was really comfortable and the unit we had was equipped with a full kitchen. Everything was very clean and we have no complaints about the room itself. About 500ft away there is a small grocery store which has all the basics and then some ; we found that to be very convenient. There is WiFi access at the hotel but it is billed at a daily rate (I believe it was 10$/day - not sure since I did not sign up for it) which was a bit of a bummer.

Since the Reef Resort is far from pretty much everywhere on Grand Cayman, I highly suggest you rent a car from at the airport and simply drive yourself. A taxi fare will likely be quite prohibitive. The drive is easy and pleasant. Remember to drive on the left! In any case, with a car you will be able to properly visit the island and also see Rum Point which is about 20 minutes away by car. Most of the cars in the parking lot were rental cars so I think most guests chose this option.

The beach is pretty but not Seven Mile Beach pretty, I highly recommend you try snorkeling. The most fish seem to be around the pier right in-front of the complex and also near the one next to the neighboring Morritt's Hotel. Inside of the reef (which is +-600-700ft out) the water is mostly less than 10ft deep so OK for less experience snorkelers. I also noticed a large number of sea anemones located directly in-front of the pier; a nice sight.

The gym is OK and decently equipped. However, since the area is very low traffic and scenic, if you are a runner, probably best to simply run on the road. My advice would be to do so early in the morning due to heat.

Overall, we very much liked our week-end at The Reef Resort and recommend it it you are looking for a quiet place on Grand Cayman.

2 Thank Roombaguy
Bloomington, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed for three weeks and had a good time. We are owners at this resort. This was our 12th. Trip to the island. There is a disconnect between the resort and their concern for owners who have paid big dollars to be a member and to continue to support the resort. The day we checked in they were having a running race and the local runners were using the facility for the 99.00 dollar nightly special. The staff at the check in station were more concerned about the guests who paid 99.00 for a night than the owners who have paid 20,000 - 30,000 or more to be part of the family. Did not provide owners gold cards we had to remind them we were owners. Asked that no charges be placed on our room account as we would pay cash as we went. I was told they could not do this and I needed to speak to management. I asked to speak to the resort director and he was not present on the weekends. I then told the check in station that I was not leaving the desk until a note was placed on our room account. Begrudgingly the young lady finally made the notation on our account. As they were still more concerned about the 99.00 dollar special guests. We had an issue before with someone else placing items on our bill. And I was told that this never happens and that we could discuss our bill when we check out. I mentioned the fact that at check out we are in a little bit of a rush and do not have time to have a debate over the bill. There are no checks in place to make sure you are in the room that you are charging too. So beware when drinks cost 12 or 13 US dollars each.. Then no mention until we checked in that the electricity would be out for 8 hours on Wednesday for a power pole change. This became a problem since we had already been to the store and bought food for the week. To say the least the power was out for 10 hours and it appears the backup storm generator that the owners were billed for years ago is not working. So we ended up throwing away 200.00 dollars of food. Called the front desk at 8:00 PM that night when the power came back on to ask if the AC was going to work and no one answered the phone it was a recording. Go figure. To top off the stay each evening at about 8:00 PM the local home owners or renters of local home owners. Show up and buy a drink and then spend the next two hours in a the castaways hot tub. I asked one couple where they were from and which part of the resort they were staying in? The reply was "oh we own a home in the area and we get to use the facility for free". And then laughed at us for paying big dollars to stay at the resort. Also nothing against nudity. But the female had at tough time keeping her top on. But when you are 60ish and the goods have went south. Not the best view from the other side of the tub or pool.. Great vacation but burnt my retinas. And one last issue no meters for the Utilities bill. A set fee which is ridiculous. The utility fee per week was 286.00 with fees. At the Morritts next door a one bedroom is 100.00 a week with individual meters so you can go check your own usage. Also not a transparent organization. The annual meetings are not open to all owners and they never disclose the date of the meeting. At the least next door at the Morritts they set a meeting date and if you wish to go to the meeting just show up. Much different climate. And oh by the way we were issued a credit for 15.00 for the 10 hours without power..

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Shocktop53
JakeMorgan72, Head Concierge at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
We sincerely appreciate all reviews and thank you for taking the time to leave one. You have raised a number of issues which I’d like to try and clarify

We did run a $99 special in 2012 which was open to residents of Grand Cayman and overseas guests however that special finished in that year. It is not possible that a guest was on site this year at that price. We are little confused about your comments regarding paying for meals and drinks directly. All of our guests have the option of either charging items to their room or paying cash at the time. All our bars and restaurants accept cash or cards and it is simply up to the guest how they choose to pay. The only way an item is charged to a room is if the guest specifically requests this. All of our Food and beverage stations have access to an up to date confidential room listing. This allows us to identify the correct guest in the correct room. These sheets are not available to guests for security reasons.

As you noted on one particular day our local utilities company had to take our power down to fix an urgent safety issue. They were able to give us a weeks’ notice so every guest received a letter upon check in advising them of this issue. Signs were also posted all week in reception, on every elevator and throughout the resort advising guests of this fact. We allowed all guests to store any food that they wished in our walk in freezers to avoid any losses. We are sincerely sorry that you were unaware of this. The power was re instated at 6.58pm and myself along with a number of Managers remained on site until 9pm to ensure everything was back up and running before handing over to the night Manager and security team.

As with most resorts we have strict rules about non guests using our facilities and many signs around our property to state this. If we discover anybody on site that is not a registered guest they will be asked to leave. We would implore all of our guests to bring any concerns such as these to the attention of the duty manager immediately.

I am not in a position to discuss the charges and costs at any other hotel or resort on island however I can state that this information regarding the resort you mentioned is incorrect.
The dates of our regular Time Share council meetings are listed in advance in our owner’s newsletters. All owners are represented in this meeting by the Members Advisory Council (MAC) appointed by theReef management. Although these meetings are not open to walk in guests, the minutes are listed in full and available for all owners to see. We also invite all owners on site to meet with the MAC member’s right after the official meeting for any discussions they like on the points raised. This is also announced in the owner’s newsletter as well as on site.

Thanks again and best wishes for the future
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

What a great place!! I booked this last minute and it was fantastic!! The staff here really make you feel at home. I wanted to stay on the quieter side of the island and this place delivers so if you want the hustle and bustle your best bet would be 7 mile. Each room is beach front so the view every morning is picture perfect. I will definitely be back and recommend you try it as well.

Room Tip: They are all beach front so you can't go wrong!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank WilliamSmithV
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Many reviewers have already gone into the details of this resort so I'll keep my review short. My wife and I were here for our honeymoon and really enjoyed it.

Pros-
-Very quiet and relaxing resort
-Beautiful water (try the snorkeling)
-The room was very comfortable and clean
-Access to activities. White Sand water sports is a great option. Definitely do the 7am stingray city trip (you avoid the crowds). Also the bio luminescence tour is excellent.

Cons
-Prices are high but that is more of a Cayman issue than the resort specifically. A good option is to stop at a grocery store on the way to the hotel to pick up some basics.
-The resort is on the far side of the island from Georgetown and 7 mile beach. This is only a con because it takes some time to get across the island. The benefit is that the resort is quiet and peaceful which I mentioned earlier.

Overall I'd recommend the resort. Make sure to rent a car and get groceries before hand and you'll be fine.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Laxw09
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

My first and likely to be my last stay at The Reef which I booked through Interval Exchange. I will definitely read the small print a lot more carefully next time I make any booking as this is the first apartment I have booked through Interval where I have been stung with a $320 "utility" surcharge upon check-out after a 5 night stay. This fee did not even include internet which was a further $40.

It was clearly a common occurrence to the receptionist for guests to be very surprised and aggrieved at check-out about this huge so called utility bill as he repeatedly told me to read the Interval booking details which detailed the surcharge after how many saucepans were in the kitchen and such like. The receptionist could provide no breakdown as to how the utility fee was calculated. I asked why no mention of the charge had been made at check-in and he said why should it be given it was in the booking details.

The weather was a pleasant temperature with sea breezes and air conditioning was hardly needed. $320 is more than my home utility bill for a month in the winter in cold UK and I was not happy about being made to pay a $60 per night surcharge on an apartment I thought I had already paid for. If utilities are such a large concern to this property it should install visible meters in the apartments and be upfront about its surcharges.

Also this is the first property I have ever stayed at, and I have stayed at many, which not only required my credit card imprint for incidentals upon check-in but in addition made an advance charge of $300 upon my credit card. It started at $500 but after some discussion it was reduced to $300. I questioned the need for this advance charge but other than "incidentals" no further explanation was forthcoming. The receptionist's primary concern was money even though my stay was prepaid. I could not recommend any property that treats its guests as little more than an ATM.

You also have to pay for activities here unless you are a direct owner with the Resort. There was a fee for yoga and aqua aerobics. A fee to use the communal washer/driers. A fee for the internet. It seemed non-owners were there to subsidise direct owners.

The apartment itself was very nice. Sea view and large balcony. Well equipped kitchen. Clean and spacious. It was odd that the lounge has a fairly small tv whereas the bedroom has a larger one.

You will need a car if you are staying at this Resort. There is little in the immediate vicinity except a small supermarket which is perfectly good for basic groceries. Getting to and from the airport would be expensive in a taxi as it takes about an hour each way despite being only about 25 or so miles. The immediate reef and Morritts dock were outstanding for snorkelling, even though a bit choppy at times, with lots of fish and coral.

A digger is on the beach every morning which seems a noisy way to tidy up a bit of washed up sea grass.

If you want a quiet trip East End is the place to stay. Getting to Georgetown was easy enough in the car but an hour plus journey each way was ok for a daytrip but we could not face two hours in the car a second day. Be aware that most of the island's activities are at the Georgetown end of the island.

It was unfortunate that my stay was soured by an exorbitant utility surcharge and an unplanned $320 credit card bill waiting for me on my return home.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
23 Thank clifton123
JakeMorgan72, Head Concierge at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and for allowing us to clarify some of the points that you have raised.

All guests that have booked a vacation at theReef resort through the Interval International timeshare exchange system are advised in advance by Interval that utility fees are applicable when visiting the Cayman Islands. These figures are listed in full on your confirmation letter sent to you when your booking is confirmed.

Our Yoga classes have proved to be immensely popular and as such we have now bought in a internationally certified yoga instructor. These classes do carry a $10 fee for non owners however we firmly believe that this is good value for money.

As with most hotels we place a hold on guest’s credit cards when they check in. This is to allow you to charge items to your room whilst on site for your convenience. Upon check out you can either use that hold to pay for any incidentals or it is released immediately. We only charge guests cards if they ask us to.

Thanks again for the review and best wishes for the future
Also consider these accommodations in or near East End
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,856 reviews
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Wyndham Reef Resort? Share your experiences!