Wyndham Reef Resort
Morritts Tortuga Club and Resort(East End)(Great Value!)
US$214
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Resort Grand Cayman(West Bay)(Great Value!)
US$202
US$160
Priceline
Grand Caymanian Vacations(Grand Cayman)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$140
Sunshine Suites Resort(Seven Mile Beach)(Great Value!)
US$339
US$214
US$637
Hotwire.com
The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman(Seven Mile Beach)
US$948
US$724
  • Beachfront
US$511
US$417
  • Pool
Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach(Seven Mile Beach)(Great Value!)
US$226
US$167
ComfortSuites
7 Mile Beach Resort and Club(Seven Mile Beach)(Great Value!)
US$369
US$308
US$607
US$496
1,833 results
All reviewsrum pointbeach baracross the streeteast end of the islandstingray cityfishtime shareliquor storeseven mile beachdeluxe studiorented a carwhite sands water sportsgrand caymancaptain chrisfull kitchenall inclusive optionall inclusive plan
Reviewed 12 August 2008

The Reef Resort is all they say and more. A spotlessly clean, nicely located, PEACEFUL beach resort on the "east end" of Grand Cayman. The staff is extremely helpful, and Jake the concierge is a wonder. The rooms are clean and well appointed. We had the 2-bedroom condo which was huge and very very comfortable with an ocean view balcony beyond compare. ALL rooms here have an ocean view!! The beach is gorgeous, very clean and not crowded. Always a beach chair available either in the sun or under a palm tree or a cabana. The outdoor bar is great and the entertainment is fun, fun, fun. There is also a very good restaurant. This is the quiet end of the island. Very serene and mostly untouched. You will need a rental car, but the island is so small, you can get anywhere in a very short time. We are planning a 2 week return visit next year.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank caymanmamma49
Reviewed 10 August 2008

The Reef was pretty much what we expected for our April vacation. Quiet, on a nice beach, with very large rooms that easily fit our family of five. We had a mostly good experience. But...

Some things to be aware of before booking: They bill Barefoot Man as "family entertainment," which is exactly what he is not. He is far from being Jimmy Buffett. Extremely crude songs that got a great roar from the drunken Midwest crowd, but we found just painfully crude. When we complained to Management that he was totally inappropriate for our 10 & 14 year old children, our complaints were totally ignored, even after several follow-ups with the concierge. Our 18 yr old just got up and left halfway through the show. Barefoot man is very boring and expensive. Save your money and go to a nice restaurant instead.

Staff: Spotty. The concierge was mainly useless, when she was there at all. Most of the morning activities were canceled when the concierge/activity director didn't show up for work.

The Beach: Very nice and relaxing, but be aware that it is not conducive to swimming. Rocky once you enter the water.

Snorkeling: Great fun off the beach when the wind is not blowing, but on our seven day trip the wind blew incessantly for six days. Unable to snorkle.

Wind: See above. I believe this is a windy part of the island.

Misc: Very long drive to Seven Mile Beach, which is a beautiful beach. Problem is that you cannot get on this beach except for a small public spot way at the end. I believe this is packed when cruise ships come in, so be sure to check the schedule and go only when the cruise ships are not in town. Finally, make sure you visit Stingray City. That was great fun.

Overall: not in love with Grand Cayman. If you are not diving or snorkeling, and not on Seven Mile Beach, there is not a heck of a lot to do.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank 5skiersCT
Reviewed 8 August 2008

Beautiful location, well-kept property, friendly staff. Ask many questions and be sure to understand everything because it is not always clear what the price is for excursions, etc. Don't wait and find out when you get the bill like we did.

We have been to The Reef more than once and always took for granted that your belongings were safe when left on your balcony and had some dive gear stolen our last visit. Disappointing but a reminder that you have to be careful everywhere you go.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
8  Thank 12girl
Reviewed 27 July 2008

We stayed at the Reef Resort as a trade on our time share through Interval World. I had high hopes after looking at their website and we were not disappointed! The beach and grounds are lovely. We had a studio on the first floor, which means we could literally step 10 feet off of our patio and be on the beach. Awesome. On a return trip (after doing all of the touristy things) I could easily imagine lounging around there for days on end. It is most definitely isolated from most of the main attractions, which is both its best and worst quality. We usually rent a car wherever we go, anyway, so no big deal to us. I loved being away from all of the craziness of downtown and/or Seven Mile Beach (Plan on approx. 45 min. from the airport and maybe 60 min. to SMB). I think it adds to the island feel-- you KNOW you're on vacation when all you can see in either direction is amazingly blue water and white sand!

There is a grocery store accross the street (walking distance), two restaurants and a liquor store on the property. The beach bar (Castro's Hideaway) had awesome conch fritters and was great for a quick burger or something like that. We didn't eat in the more upscale restaurant (Castaways).

The resort can arrange excursions for you (ie. Stingray City), which would be great if you did not chose to rent a car. They did, however, charge about twice as much as some of the other tour groups around the island (even if you drive yourself to the dock and don't take advantage of their transportation).

There is decent snorkeling within a few feet of the beach along the pier. My husband saw a 4 1/2 ft. nurse shark one day, in addition to tons of beautiful tropical fish and fairly big tarpon. The beach has lots of lounging chairs and shady spots to read a book, and it was NEVER crowded.

Overall, a VERY relaxing place to spend your vacation!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank cheshgal
Reviewed 23 July 2008

I was at the Reef for a week as the guest of an owner. This place has both time shares and privately owned condos. There was no pressure at all for me to attend a presentation on ownership, although it was offered if I wanted it.

The beach is awesome, just about empty and lots of good snorkeling to be found. The unit I stayed in was clean and nicely appointed. The bartenders at the beach bar were friendly. Barefoot Man was a hoot Tuesday night, and the price included over two hours of live entertainment, a rum punch, appetizer, dinner and dessert. A good deal at $40CI considering the expensive restaurant prices on this island. The Stingray City trip on a catamaran was awesome, booked via the concierge at $50USD. It also included a snorkel stop at the barrier reef and lots of rum punch on the way back.

The brand new spa is truly beautiful and the new gym is very nice too. The little grocery store across the street was convenient (I would NOT buy meat there however. The meat I bought was spoiled and had to be returned).

Okay now for the not so nice (sorry).

The people at the front desk were generally rude, as if they were forced to speak to me. The management needs to hire employees with people skills! After check-in I was speaking with a condo owner there and found out I was entitled to discounts because I was the guest of an owner. The front desk never told me this at check-in. This was later resolved as Clive the security guard made it happen. He is the kind of employee the Reef needs more of, what a genuinely nice person!

The dock is very much in disrepair. More than half the lights are missing and covered in duct tape. One of the cement pilings is damaged. I was told the damage was due to a hurricane last year.

The landscaping at the large pool near the newest building is in terrible shape. It looks like it was damaged by a back hoe or something. One of the planter walls is about to fall down and has a large gaping hole in it. Again I was told due to the hurricane last year. I think a year is more that enough time to make these repairs. This just makes the place look a bit shabby which is a shame.

One more suggestion for the Reef is to stick to one currency! Some items at the resort were in USD (gift shop, concierge outings), yet the restaurant and spa prices are in CI. The restaurant and beach bar did not include gratuity, yet a gratuity is automatically added to the spa price. The folio at check out is all listed in USD. This on a whole is very confusing!

Will I come back? Sure I'll come back but only if I hear the front desk attitude and grounds maintenance improves. I love the East End quiet side of Grand Cayman and the Reef Resort is the best place to stay at East End.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family