Wyndham Reef Resort
Holiday Inn Resort Grand Cayman(West Bay)(Great Value!)
US$271
US$241
HolidayInn.com
Very Good 4/5
Sunshine Suites Resort(Seven Mile Beach)(Great Value!)
US$319
Great 4.5/5
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort(Seven Mile Beach)
US$721
US$611
  • Pool
The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman(Seven Mile Beach)
US$1,167
US$1,072
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach(Seven Mile Beach)(Great Value!)
US$361
US$310
ComfortSuites
Great 4.5/5
7 Mile Beach Resort and Club(Seven Mile Beach)(Great Value!)
US$369
US$333
Good 3.5/5
No availability for your dates from our partners
Excellent 5/5
Grand Caymanian Vacations(Grand Cayman)
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,811 results
All reviewsrum pointbeach baracross the streeteast end of the islandstingray cityfishtime shareliquor storeseven mile beachdeluxe studiorented a carwhite sands water sportsgrand caymancaptain chrisfull kitchenall inclusive optionall inclusive plan
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 October 2008

My husband booked the reef because of the reviews on tripadvisor saying how quiet and peaceful it was. The resort was very clean, the condo and the beach. the water was warm and there was amazing fish right of the shore. The food at the resturant was really good. We had a really relaxing time at the reef and will go back again.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank persephonek
TomCayman, Director at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2008

Total Relaxation.. hmm... our catchphrase is Simple Relaxation, but I like the sound of "Total Relaxation" too.

Thanks so much for the review, it is always great for any business owner to hear that they have delivered exactly as promised.

theReef offers a vacation grounded in the "K.I.S.S." principle... "Keep It Simple...Sure! :)", as what we offer is just what was in your review... a relaxing beach vacation.

Come back soon :) !

Reviewed 21 September 2008

The Reef Resort was more than we expected. We where picked up at the airport by Tropicana Tours and the driver was fantastic and was probably one of the best parts of our trip I wish I remembered his name!?! When we arrived at The Reef we where greeted by Sophie at the front desk(very nice) and there was a little mix up in my name but we just made it running joke while we where there. The concierge Jake(UK) was so awesome he will set you up on anything you want no matter what he has to do!!!! He sent us over to Red Sail tours where we went on a Jet-ski safari with our tour guide Dan(UK) which was amazing. As far as the resort it was beyond our expectations. The room we had was a luxury one bedroom and it was huge with a king bed, two "Murphy beds" , a complete kitchen and big balcony. Now I must say that when we where down there Hurricane Gustav had just left and it was low season so we had the whole place practically to ourselves so I don't know if the great service was because they where slow or what but it was wonderful prompt service. The beach front is beautiful and cleaned everyday. My wife and I where they only ones on the beach 90% of the time and the weather was hot but not rainy at all. We are considering a timeshare purchase if everything goes to plan in the next two years. I do have one complaint and it is about the restaurant. It was clean but they have a problem with sand ants. The menu is small and very expensive($40 for 2 omelets) and is not very creative. The service was mediocre and quality and quantity of food was poor to fair. The pools where nice but would be nice to have a little chill to it but I understand that would be costly. There is an IGA across the street that I highly recommend you visit for stocking up on food. Overall we had the greatest time of our lives and cannot wait to go back. If your looking for a nice quiet place with gorgeous views away from the crowds come here and relax. Our stay was September 1st to September 8th in 323A.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
7  Thank med-one
Reviewed 14 September 2008

The Reef was absolutely beautiful. The swimming pools and whirlpools were scrupulously clean (cleaned every morning) as was the beach. The beach was sandy and there was a lovely lighted dock. We saw a stingray swimming along the shore one day and a little boy said he played with a small octopus while snorkeling near the dock. We had a whirlpool suite which was nice but the swimming pools were so nice that we only used it once. The room had a little refrigerator and there were dishes provided along with a small sink so we were able to buy food at the grocery store across the street and prepare our own breakfast and lunch in our room. The view from our balcony was fabulous. Before visiting I emailed The Reef and got a lot of excellent advice from the concierge about things to do. Very helpful. I spoke with the reservations staff and they recommended the second floor for a good view of the Caribbean but some of the 1st floor would also have a good view. We took their chartered boat trip to Stingray City which was absolutely wonderful. They put up the sail on the way back and provided rum punch. But definitely practice snorkeling before you go if you are a beginner. We didn't and there was no basic instruction (even on the use of the life vests) before they let you jump off the end of the boat. There are so many services that we missed a few things until it was almost time to leave--such as that there is an internet cafe right next to the lobby where you can use computers (as well as the available wifi on the beach). I was able to use the wifi from my room but I was right across from one of the poles. There is also an exercise room but it took us several days to find it, in spite of asking staff members where it was a couple of times, and it is a pretty typical hotel exercise room. But hey, you don't go to the Caribbean to stay inside anyway, right? We ate at the restaurant at the Reef twice and listened to the music at the outdoor bar. Lots of fun, especially the resident cats who like seafood.

4  Thank honeymoonerAug2008
Reviewed 28 August 2008

This was our 2nd time at The Reef, the 1st was 8 years ago when it was brand new. We had a 2bd condo both times. We love the seclusion on the East End, the resort was 20% occupancy, there was as many staff as vacationers. If you are looking for a relaxing time, this is the place. There were 2 sets of 20 something honeymooners we saw, they were board and looking for a party, none here. The beach was fabulous, large, tons of nice chairs under small palm trees, a great spot for snorkeling, the best is the left side of the pier, tons of large fish, a stingray and even a barracuda. The poolbar makes great drinks(alot of ice) and great lunchtime food w/ diverse menu. We also ate upstairs at the main restaurant for dinners each night, very good ordering off menu or each night they had a theme buffet which was 5 or 6 good items, so if you are leery of buffets, know these are good, small choices but well cooked and delicious. My husband and I came to Cayman to dive, Ocean Frontiers dive shop is on-site for bookings and 4 miles away to the boat, we drove but they also have a free shuttle. Excellent dive masters and diving(we think 2nd to Turks $ Caicos) and we've traveled extensively to dive locations all over the world.
The condos, ours was on the 2nd floor, great view, clean, comfortable, we asked 1x for extra towels and they brough them up in 5 minutes and brought extra extra. So far this resort would have got a higher rating from us until we visited the SPA and GYM
...the GYM is below adequate, if you only want a treadmill, you will be okay, yes there are 3 other cardio and 3 weight machines plus small free weights but the space is so large and has so much potential but it looks empty, dreery (it is I think BELOW sea-level) very dark and not much equipment. The SPA was terrible, yes terrible, this was the bigger dissapointment to us, we love spending 3 evenings per vacation in the SPA. No showers, no sauna/steam, no nice waiting area, no robes/slippers, no fresh fruit and lemon water, no nice smell, no SPA pool, truely this is a dayspa, go get a massage and leave. Okay so we still thought lets "try" it, we scheduled 2, 80 minute massages, cost $201 US and $225 US if you want arom. oils used, pricey for no SPA facilities but again let's try...we had Karen and Delcie, I never (well maybe 1 other time) had such a bad massage, I felt like asking "Is this your 1st massage" I think I would have felt better if it was, bad pressure, bad techinique, I couldn't wait to leave and it was freezing in the room. I am sorry to say this because we really enjoy this resort but will have to consider no SPA action for our next visit to Caymans. Overall, if you don't use SPA or don't care to much about GYM, this is a great spot to stay. There are a few restaurants outside of resort(if you have a car) that are good, The lighthouse and Portofino and the Morritts next door we heard has a comedian on Wed. nights with dinner buffet.
We recommend this resort for anyone who likes/needs privacy and relaxing and quiet.

6  Thank elf.dml
TomCayman, Resort Director at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2008

I'd first of all like to thank the guest for the detailed review of theReef.

I would though like to respond to the comments on the Gym and Spa.

For the Gym, we have the following equipment (all Cybex and brand new, the gym only opened in July) :
- 2 treadmills
- 1 elliptical trainer
- 1 recumbent cycle
- 1 upright cycle
- 1 multigym
- Weight rack and adjustable bench
- 1 Concept II rowing machine

In addition to all that equipment, the guest is correct in that there is more space, but we will shortly start various classes and that is what the remaining space is for.

The gym is a little spartan right now, but give us a little while, we will enhance it with artwork etc...

Now, to the Spa. Today I addressed the comments re the quality of the massages with the spa manager, but whilst her staff remembered the guests in question, they don't recall any complaints at the time... anybody providing any kind of service much prefers instant feedback so they can make necessary changes.. but in any event, really can't give any answers to that particular point.

Our Spa is really a day spa, it does have showers in every treatment room (to correct the reviewer), but no, does not have a sauna or separate waiting / recovery room.

I will certainly though take all of the constructive criticism from this guest and in fact have already addressed with both spa and gym managers, as we always seek to make continuing improvements... particularly as both facilities are brand new to theReef.

Reviewed 16 August 2008

I agree with many of the other reviews in that this is a very secluded spot. It was a beautiful place to go if you really wanted tranquility. I highly recommend bringing your own snorkeling equipment because there are a huge variety of fish that are right under the dock; it felt like swimming in an aquarium. Our room was spacious with a beautiful ocean view and having the mini kitchen area was very useful. We definitely made a trip to the supermarket across the street and loaded up the fridge. The only downside that I could see was you really are in the middle of nowhere. Options for restaurants nearby are scarce (you need a taxi or a rental car) and when we did eat in the Castaways Restaurant, it was a bit overpriced for a buffet with only two choices. The cab ride from the airport was $69 American Dollars but only $40 American dollars on the way back. I would recommend having the concierge from the hotel arrange for your pick up at the airport through the cab company (Tropicana) so you can pay the cheaper price. Keep in mind the American dollar is weak here as well so don't be surprised when you receive less change back in Cayman Money.

4  Thank Paris1273