“Excellent Service - Laid Back Atmosphere”

Wyndham Reef Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East End
Virginia
“Excellent Service - Laid Back Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2009

The service was excellent, especially from the concierge staff and outside bar staff. Everyone was friendly and ready to help.
The room amenities were new and excellent.
The location, away from the populated end of the island, was great; little traffic and no beach vendors.

1 Thank gr8hands2k

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2009

My fiance and I stayed at the Reef Resort last June in order to plan our upcoming wedding. We found the drive from the airport to be scenic and beautiful- staying on the East End of the island tends to be a lot less touristy, less crowded, and much more relaxing. The Reef itself is what you would expect from a smaller, boutique hotel but the setting is what makes it one of the most amazing places on the island. The beaches and views are breathtaking. We found the people at the Reef to be friendly and very professional- especially Linda Locke, the hotel's wedding planner. She was extremely helpful during the week that we were there and made sure to include special touches with our room and accommodations. We stayed in a deluxe studio with a king bed and kitchenette. The room was extremely clean, a good size, and was very convenient for the week of our stay. Even after our visit, Linda has been absolutely fabulous and a continuos help with the rest of our planning. I would recommend staying at the Reef for a vacation and would definitely recommend the Reef for a destination wedding. Like many recent reviewers, we have also travelled quite a bit... and found the Reef to be one of our very favorite spots in the world.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank yogiogi
oklahoma city
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2009

Well, let me start by saying my review will be much more honest and spot on than that of a previous post. My husband and I stayed for a week 03/26-04/02 and had a very relaxing vacation. Yes, the resort is about 45 minutes out of town which is why we booked there in the first place. The drive to the Reef is very lovely and I did not see many "shacks" on the way, very nice simple and bright colored homes. Driving along the coast was very pleasant and beautiful. The Reef hotel is located away from town, but this gives the resort a more "secluded" tropical island feel which we loved! We ate at the hotel and the food was good. We also ate at Portofinos and Over the Edge, both very good restaurants.
We visited the Botanical Gardens which had some really pretty flowers. We went on the Sting Ray tour (watched our guide feed a huge eel), visited Rum Point and snorkeled around the east end of the island. We were never ask to attend the time share meeting, however after hearing other guest talk about how impressed they were with the meeting (no pressure at all) I ask about it while making dinner reservations one night. We participated and it was nice with no real pressure to purchase and they picked up the bill for our sting ray tour! Thanks Reef!
Every employee at the Reef we encountered was extremely friendly. Excellent staff and they will go out of their way to help you with anything. They will tell you where to snorkel, (thanks Michelle and Jake) what to see based on what you are looking for. The Reef has a great team and they all strive for excellent customer service. All employees from the front desk, housekeeping, concierge and bartender were always friendly and outgoing. We really felt at home.
The beach is wide and long. This is a family friendly resort as I watched several kids running down the beach, playing ball, playing in the water (there are some sandy areas that kids can play in), swimming in the pool (three pools, one large and two others smaller, but still good size) and snorkeling. The kids seemed to enjoy standing on the pier and watching the fish. Some folks were trying their hand at windsurfing and kayaking. The resort has several grills for cooking out doors and the smell was always incredible. I will say with a wide beach, kids can run free and you don't have to worry about them getting out of your view.
My husband and I had a one bedroom condo with a full kitchen. The living space was large and the kitchen had a microwave, full oven, full fridge, toaster, plates, pots and pans, coffee maker, blender (which was used and worked very well) and all the comforts you need from home. Just know the kitchen has everything you need. Oh, and did I mention a view to die for? We were in room 127A, on the first floor. My husband and I both agree this is one of the nicest rooms we have ever been in. We could open our door and walk out to the beach (yes, you are right on the beach). The bedroom was large and we were able to leave our suit cases out along the wall and still move around the room freely. Additionally, we had a washer and dryer.
There is a grocery store across the street and it has most of what you need. For those who do not want to rent a car, but hang out on the beach, you could very easily take a taxi and purchase what you need across the street and never need to leave the resort! I will say, the concierge desk will work hard to arrange transportation for the gardens tour or sting ray visit. There is also a bakery in the shopping center acoss the street and we went there a couple times. Yummy!
On our last day my husband and I drove up seven mile beach and I knew we had made the right choice staying at the Reef. If you like the hustle and bustle, then seven mile may be for you, but if you want seclusion, try the Reef.
Overall, my husband and I had a wonderful first visit to the Reef. Should we return to Grand Cayman, we would stay there again. We enjoyed the rest and relaxation.

5 Thank jampet
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2009

The previous reviewer prompted me to review our trip from July, 2008. We decided on Grand Cayman to have a relaxing 5-days for our anniversary.

I have also travelled to many locations around the world and would not state that The Reef is a 1st class accomodation, but that is not what they claim either. And, I believe it is known from reading even one review that yes, this place is practically surrounded by nothing nearby. That said, it was a wonderful, relaxing place to "get away from it all". Not far we had an excellent meal at the Lighthouse, we were able to quickly visit many sights that were much less crowded and touristy than Georgetown was, and found the beach, pools, and swimming to be excellent. We enjoyed snorkeling daily, the bar was fine (though the restaurant was the only disappointment of the trip but I did not have high expectations for it before going).

Our room was on the first level, so we were able to walk out onto the beach. We had a king bed and a jacuzzi which we enjoyed a few times. The little mini-kitchen worked well for storing drinks and snacks, and the bakery across the street served as our base for breakfast a couple times.

If we were to return to Grand Cayman, I would stay here again. It was approximately a 45 minute drive to town, but the drive along the coast was beautilful and we'd frequently stop to walk to the water (and you also drive past the blow-holes which was neat to see).

Unlike some reviewers, it was not windy at all while we were here. So I suppose that could have made a difference in our enjoyment. We had a rainstorm one day and that was just beautiful to watch.

Also, we were only asked once to partake in a timeshare presentation and we declined. It would have given us free stingray city tickets or some other thing, but I don't enjoy wasting vacation time so we did not do that. There was no badgering after declining which I appreciated.

If you go, one of the best meals I've had was at the Cuban restaurant Casa Havana (AAA 4-diamond award) at the Westin and it was worth every penny - especially the tableside preparation of bananas foster. It was nice to drive in for dinner, and then escape from the cruise ships and tourists at The Reef Resort.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank paceysgl5
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2009

we stayed for 5 nights in March 2009 in room 331B
overall a good grade B Carribean resort

pros

>great bed – soft pillow top king, not a cheap slab of concrete
>neat, clean and modern unit with plenty of porch space to sit outside
>clean bathroom had tub with textured standing area – smart feature
>microwave, toaster and decent coffee maker in the room (buy coffee across the street in the Fosters/IGA minimarket – sells most essentials)
>easy-to-use safe in room (though mounted at level convenient for a midget)
>terrific view over beach and reef area
>sunrise visible from the bed
>good snorkeling right outside the unit
>located in relatively deserted area compared to other parts of the island, some beautiful beaches in the area with virtually no one present
>helpful front desk arranged a snorkeling trip and trip to stingray city – both well done (Michele the Irish gal was knowledgeable about everything and very helpful – others at the front desk were not as helpful)
>wifi internet worked (though a bit expensive at US$8/day)

cons

>wind – When there was no wind, the beach and snorkeling are terrific. But half our time there were big white caps. That made the beach not that pleasant and snorkeling pretty much pointless with all the churn in the water. We drove and found that the wind on SMB and other beaches not facing east was almost non existent (so there should be a distinct price cut to stay on the exposed East End where wind is more often present).
>restaurant so so – service varied from ok to horrendous (short staffed especially in the evening), food uniformly mediocre, but large quantities for price (local restaurants are better: Portofino had a good Sunday brunch, Over the Edge served smaller quantities but had a better kitchen and was good for lunch/dinner but not for breakfast)
>don't miss Rankin's Jerk stand in Bodden Town – delicious jerk chicken meal for US$10
>you pretty much have to rent a car if you want to stay in this part of the island
>expensive rentals for sea kayaks and such ($20 -30/hour depending on what craft you preferred) that are normally free to renters in other Carribean places we have stayed (e.g., Turks and Caicos)
>too many areas in the resort facility where the accountants decided to cut corners or someone just made bad design choices:
>>way too few foot washes (none in front of the building where we stayed – building number 3, which appeared to contain more than one third the total rooms of the entire facility), so you end up tracking the sand into the rooms and washing feet in the bathtub (inevitably putting much more sand into their plumbing system – duh – don't let accountants call the shots or you end up shooting yourself in the head) – even the two pool-side showers next to our building were poorly designed - when the wind was blowing there was not enough water pressure to get any water on your body since it all sprayed onto the concrete wall
>>when wet the tiles in the rooms are crazy slippery – design blunder for a beach resort (they have much better tiles on the porches – so they are available)
>>cheap refrigerator in room kept cycling off and on
>>cheap and very noisy exhaust fan and bright fluorescent light in the bathroom lent a fleabag feel to a resort room (what on earth were they thinking?)

4 Thank longshot
alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2009

My wife, three children, and I just returned from a 5 day stay at The Reef Resort on East End, Grand Cayman. The resort is on the quiet, less crowded end of Grand Cayman.
The rooms were immaculate, modern, and very comfortable. The daily housekeeping service was not needed but did an excellent job of keeping the rooms spotless.
The beach was also kept spotless. Two men raked and cleaned the beach daily.
The desk folks...Michelle and Jake made sure anything you wanted to do was made possible. We all enjoyed the Stingray City trip but beware the rum punch! My wife and I did two dives with Red Sail Sports at the Moritz next door. This was also a great group to dive with.....reasonable prices, excellent gear, and fun attitude. The kids rode jet skis and went tubing with Red Sail sporrts as well.
We ate breakfast at the bakery across the street which was very reasonably priced. The grocery store across the street has most thing you would want and we ate some meals in the room. Over the Edge had excellent food and a nice atmosphere but was pricey. Portofino was similar in quality and price. Vivine's Kitchen was a great place to eat some of the local dishes and the prices were much lower. Rankin's Jerk was on the way from the airport and had great jerk chicken. Picnic tables under the trees made for a great atmosphere.
All in all a great place to stay and ..."a good time was had by all"

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Mn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2009

My husband, adult daughter and I stayed at the Reef Resort from February 21-18, 2009. Check in was very easy and pleasant-probably the easiest of all the time shares we've visited. Our 2 bedroom 2 bath suite was large, clean, well maintained and had fantastic views from the living room and second bedroom. It could easily hold a family of 6 or 2 couples. The air conditioning controls in the master bedroom were all messed up. It was absolutely freezing unless we turned the heat on.
The kitchen had paper towels, trash bags, coffee filters, dish soap and dishwasher soap and was adequately equipped with dishes (for 4), pots, pans, bowls, etc. There was daily maid service that changed the trash bags and replaced any towels that you want to have replaced (usual drill- put the towels that you want replaced in the tub, otherwise they leave them for another day). If you go grocery shopping, try to get your provisions at the store in Georgetown, not the one across the street. The selection is pretty minimal; the produce was not very fresh ,and the staff were surly. And we weren't even complaining to them!
The Reef Resort staff are friendly and professional and try hard to make sure you're having a good time. However, if you go to the open house the first morning and sign up for swimming with the stingrays be aware that they ask if you have a rental car. If you say yes, they don't plan on you taking the bus. We told them no because only 2 of us were going- my husband was doing something else and wanted the car. The bus wasn't large enough to take everyone who were trying to board so they asked some people from the resort next door to drive my daughter and myself. They said not to worry, they would figure out a way for us to get back to the resort after the boat ride, which was a bit disconcerting. It turned out fine, the people who took us decided to go back, but the bus driver says it happens every week so either plan on driving yourself or get on that bus early! It only holds about 8 people. That was the only outing we did with them, and except for that minor snafu it was fun. Expensive, but fun. I doubt if we'd do it again.
We were keen to dive-my daughter and I are recently certified. The people at the resort who work for Frontier diving were pretty unpleasant. It was extremely windy every day at the resort, and I think they were cancelling some of the dives. It didn't matter, we went into Georgetown and signed up with Don Foster Diving. They were fantastic! On the boat were people of just about every ability from getting certified to professioal underwater photographer and instructors. The captain was informative about what we might see and should look out for. She let everyone decide how much help they wanted and had enough staff to accomodate everyone. Some of the divers just wanted to dive with a buddy without a guide ,and that was fine. I highly recommend Don Foster.
We also visited the Botanical Garden. It is beautiful and worth the visit.
Rum Point is another spot worth mentioning. It's very family oriented. It felt like we were up at the cabin in Northern Minnesota (except it was February and warm enough to swim). The site is beautiful but the snorkeling is nothing to recommend.
Most of the time we ate at the condo but we did go to several restaurants and would recommend a few. Over the Edge is about 8 miles north of the resort. It is a pretty setting, where the locals seem to dine, and has excellent food. The service was good. We had reservations but I don't know if that's necessary.
The Calypso Grill is on the other side of the island and is well worth the drive. The atmosphere is charming, it's a beautiful setting, the food is fantastic (try the sticky toffee and the chocolate bread pudding then tell me which is better), and the service is excellent. It isn't cheap.
Portofino is just south of the resort. It's convenient, pleasant, and has good Italian food and good service. They prefer you make a reservation.
My husband says Eats, in Georgetown is good for breakfast. He went there the days my daughter and I dove.
The guy next to me on the plane said he always brings a cooler with meat. It has to be shrink wrapped but they'll let it in. He says meat is very expensive on the island.
Really, the only complaint about the resort is how windy it was every single day. It got a bit tiresome. A number of guests say it always is in February but isn't so bad the rest of the year.
It is a bit more expensive than the other caribbean islands, but the crime rate is low, and the locals have the highest standard of living of all the islands so really a small price to pay.
oh yeah, the wi fi is marginal at best and costs.

• Stayed February 2009
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,926 reviews
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Wyndham Reef Resort? Share your experiences!