“Off the beaten path, great rooms.”

Wyndham Reef Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in East End
Reviewed 30 May 2009

First of all the wind was not an issue. In fact it's so hot there that the breeze is what makes it bearable. I too read in many reviews that the wind was an issue, but honestly we did not experience that.

The resort itself is beautiful and the rooms are great. The units right on the main floor with beach access right out the sliding doors are the best. We did not have a full kitchen, but did quite well with the microwave, toaster & coffee maker. Nice bathroom with a fantastic shower . The little strip mall across the road is a lifesaver.

Don't go to any of the welcome parties, free breakfasts, or gatherings like that. That's where they get you to attend a timeshare meeting with one of the salespeople. If we wouldn't have attended the welcome party, we probably would have slipped by their radar. Our salesman was very nice until it was clear to him that we were not interested, and then was a little flippant.

If you are coming to the Cayman's to just stay at a resort and relax, then this is the place for you. You can certainly swim & snorkel right out in front of the resort contrary to what some reviewers have said. There is some sea grass, but there are lots of spaces that are clear. The Rum Point beach (20 minute drive) is awesome and has a nice bar & grill. You can spend the whole day there. Seven Mile Beach (45 min) is by far the best beach to swim & snorkel. Stay away from Georgetown unless you're very wealthy. We were glad we rented a car.

Good Restaurants are: Over The Edge, The Lighthouse, & Portofino.

2  Thank kleebeck
Write a ReviewReviews (1,733)

Reviewed 27 May 2009

Our daughter was married at the Reef Resort in March 2009. "Exceeded my expectations" would be an understatement. The resort is on the quiet end of Grand Cayman---a scenic 40 minute drive from the airport. We loved how quiet and peaceful it was. Every room faces onto a beautiful beach. What a joy it was to drink coffee on the patio early each morning. I can still hear the sound of the waves (and boy, do I miss it). My husband and I travelled with the bride's 91 year old grandfather and the resort gave us adjoining rooms close to the lobby and beach bar. They were spacious, beautifully furnished and well equipped. I've never been quite so comfortable at similar resorts. I made good use of the coin laundry and others in our party took advantage of the resort's bikes and canoes. I thought the restaurant was quite good, but if you want to economize there's a liquor store right on premesis and a small grocery store directly across the street. At night there was usually live entertainment next to the beach bar which we were able to enjoy right from our patio. We had almost 40 guests and everyone seemed happy with their accomodations. In fact, some people changed their flights so they could stay a bit longer.

The wedding coordinator is superb. The Reef arranged a wonderful barbeque right on the beach the night before the wedding ceremony. Great food and service---best vat of margaritas ever. My father had a medical emergency the day of the wedding and I'm amazed by how well it was handled. The Reef staff is both competent and compassionate. We made it back from the hospital with minutes to spare and I will never forget the beautiful setting. I really don't think my daughter could have picked a better place for her wedding.

The Reef may not appeal to those who want to be right in town or don't want to negotiate the roundabouts while driving on the "wrong" side of the road. But we're not shoppers and prefer to spend most evenings relaxing with friends and family. I can't say enough about how wonderful the rooms and service were. I'd love to return after my wedding-deflated wallet recovers.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Geraldine S
Reviewed 27 May 2009

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful trip to the Cayman Islands and the Reef Resort from May 11-18. Many other eviewers are correct in that the resort is located on the less-traveled, less touristy, less crowded and quiet part of the island...and that made it absolutely perfect for us. We were looking for a peaceful relaxing vacation of lying in the sun, reading, walking, exploring, etc. and getting away from it all. The Reef was just the right spot for that. We didn't rent a car and we were not disappointed. The Reef offers a nd activities every day (including trips to Stingray City, the Botanical Gardens, scuba and snorkeling lessons, etc) so there is no shortage of things to do. In that way it was great - if we wanted to do nothing but lounge, soak up some sun, have a few drinks and relax...that's what we did. If we wanted to do an activity or go off to swim with the Stingrays, then we did that. Perfect!

Hubby and I particularly enjoyed exploring the East End of the island via walking or using the Reef's bicycles. We found wonderful shells and corals to bring home, saw beautiful fauna and interesting habitat (the curly tailed lizards/skinks are cute!!) and we even found what ended up being our own private little beach that we visted every morning. Perfect again. We snorkeled right there at the hotel (and on the trip to see the Stingrays) and the snorkeling is incredible...lots of different fish, eels, and small stingray right there in the waters in front of the hotel. Perfect again. There was vegetation that washed up on the beach, but not nearly as bad as some described here and they workers cleaned it up every morning. There is rocky areas in around the resort, but plenty of beach too. And for swimmers, the two pools at the resort are wonderful.

We had heard that the winds are sometimes strong, but we didn't have any of that. There was a nice breeze on most days, sometimes stronger than others, but without the breeze, it would be uncomfortably hot this time of year. The breeze made it perfect.

The staff were incredibly friendly and accommodating. The outside bar and bar staff are wonderful (and here's a shout out to Colin, Sam, Nick, Tony!!!) They are fast and offered suggestions of drinks to try, and were interesting and professional. The serving staff in the restaurant, though, moved at the relaxed, laid back Cayman speed which was fine for the most part but occasionally was too slow and a bit frustrating. But that would be our only complaint about the entire week. The food and drinks are expensive....that's accurate....but is comparable to other resort prices I think. We had a kitchenette in our room, so we visited the grocery and liquor stores across the streets to save us time and some money.

If you go, do try to see the Barefoot Man perform. He's funny, entertaining, and he and his sidekick are very talented! Definitely worth the money.

We had a wonderful time.....and can't wait to go back!!!

1  Thank themasonsohio
Reviewed 22 May 2009

We've just booked our third stay at The Reef in the last 3 years......so this is in fact a preview based upon our past visits. We expect a beautiful, clean room with an outstanding view.  Service will be, as usual, top notch and the food will be excellent.. If you want a laid-back vacation in a truly beautiful setting....this is the place......also Rum Point and it's beach is worth the trip alone.....Len

1  Thank tabicma1
Reviewed 10 May 2009

My husband and I just returned from a week long stay at Grand Cayman for our second anniversary. We booked the Reef based off of the reviews on this website, as well as the pictures posted. The Reef did not disappoint. We had booked a one bedroom condo as part of an internet special. The room was very large, clean, and pleasant with a bedroom, bathroom (with jacuzzi tub), full kitchen, dining room and living room area complete with a television, DVD player, and stereo. There was also an outside deck overlooking the water with a large table with four chairs, as well as a sun bathing chair. We LOVED our suite. It was so relaxing to be able to put a bottle of wine in the fridge, cook dinner, or lunch and have a wonderful meal on our deck.

As for the hotel grounds, the water was beautiful. Snorkeling was wonderful and we saw a huge variety of fish, and even an eel. The water is not as rocky as some have mentoned on this site, and we never found it necessary to wear pool shoes. There is also two lovely pools, one with a waterfall and volleyball net. On the grounds are also a volleyball net, tennis courts, and basketball courts and they will give you whatever equipment necessary without a fee.

Across from the resort grounds is a food store, liquor store, convenience store (flippers, sunglasses, pool floats, etc) and a DVD rental. In the area the restaurants are limited, but there was a FABULOUS restaurant we ate at on our anniversary, the Lighthouse. It was expensive, but wonderful.

One thing to mention...the island is extremely expensive. Being from NYC I didn't imagine prices would rival my area...I was WRONG. Consider getting a kitchen...breakfast one morning cost us $50 for french toast and sausage and eggs.

4  Thank twilight43
Reviewed 9 May 2009

We had a great time at the Reef this past April. The resort is at the far eastern end of the island, as far away from the hustle and bustle of Seven Mile Beach as you can get. The resort is a beautiful, new facility. All the rooms face the ocean. Our room was clean and roomy. The staff was friendly, helpful, and I appreciated that they didn't push the timeshares (which are quarter-ownership there).

The Bar Restaurant is a great place to eat - outside on the beach with a great view of the surf. The prices are reasonable and the food was very good quality. There is also a polite little cat that may come and visit you. There is also a small Forster's Grocery store right across the street which can provide all the staples including fresh fruit, bread, and milk. The room had a toaster, microwave, sink, fridge, and some plates and utensils so we could make our own breakfast and such and eat on the balcony overlooking the ocean.

There was a very constant sea breeze coming from the east. This keep the beach and the room very comfortable even though the temperature was hot. I was worried that the wind would make the water too choppy for snorkeling, but the resort was true to its name and the off-shore reef kept the waters reasonably calm during our entire stay. There is good snorkeling to either side of the boat channel. To the left, there are large sea grass fields and rocky formations where we saw an octopus, lobster, lots of fish, and many conchs. To the right, in front of the boat pier, the bottom is a bit deeper and more open and filled with coral fans, lots of fish. On my last day I spotted a sea turtle and a squid. Its not the greatest snorkeling I've done in the world, but it keep my interested and satisfied for several days.

The beach is also a really interesting place to walk. Going north, the beach is still undeveloped, although there are signs of more building to come. The beach gives way to rocky shore of ancient coral beds as you go up to Collier Point. There the reef meets the shore and you can watch the ocean waves roll-in. Very relaxing. The sad part is all the flotsam and jetsam washed in from sea. There was enough plastic to choke a rookery of birds. My environmental plea - avoid plastic bags, when they get lose they get into the ocean and kill wildlife.

Since this resort is far away, you'll probably want to rent a car, although I could have stayed at the resort all week and not been bored.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Flying_Rog
Reviewed 8 May 2009

My husband and I just returned from our week long honeymoon at The Reef and did not want to come home. We based our decision to stay here on many of the review we read on this site and we were not disappointed. We stayed in the deluxe studio suite and found the room to be very nice and spacious. We spend a lot of time on our balcony that overlooked the beach and used the small kitchen to make many of our breakfasts and lunches to save a bit of money. All of the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. When we booked our stay we booked a romance package they were offering and received vouchers for a sunset kayak trip, a couples massage and a candlelit beach side dinner, these things just put our stay over the top.

During our stay we did several dives with Ocean Frontiers. They were fantastic and took us to many very cool dive sites ( on one we saw a hammerhead shark and a sea turtle!) You must see the stingrays while you are here. We did a stingray scuba dive through Ocean Frontiers and did the sandbar stingray city trip that the resort offers. Loved seeing the rays up close doing the dive, where else can you wear a "stingray sombrero"?!? The sandbar trip was also cool it was just a less up close and personal experience (20 or so people crowding around 3 stingrays). If you can, do the dive. On our trip we also went the turtle farm (very cool, you get to pet and take pictures with the little turtles, sooo cute!) and took a leisurely stroll through the botanic gardens to see the blue iguanas.

We ate more seafood on the trip than most people probably do in a year and most of it was really good, just be prepared to pay. Food is not cheap anywhere on the island. We found the food at The Reef to be 'alright'. The food offered at the bar was pretty good but the food at the restaurant was, in my opinion, overpriced for what you get, it wasn't bad just not worth $30 a plate. While there are not a whole lot of dinning options on the East End there are a few pretty good options. Over the Edge had really good fish, we ate there twice. If you love food do yourself a favor and make a reservation with Roland's Garden the moment you arrive. We lucked out and he had a cancellation so we were able to get in at the last moment, but it was honestly the most unique and delicious dinning experience I have ever had. There are no menus and he serves dinner in the garden of his house. You byob and just enjoy plate after plate of the most delicious food that he serves you. In the end you just pay whatever you think the dinner was worth. Seriously, go.

You must rent a car if you a planning on staying here. The Reef is a good 40 minutes from the airport but it is a very pretty drive. We spent one day on the west end of the island and were so glad that we choose to say on the East end. There were much fewer people, no traffic to contend with and it had the more traditional island feel that the overdeveloped seven mile beach area just did not. Yes you have to drive on the left side of the road but after the first day you really do get used to it. We were so glad we had the car to explore the whole island and not just be stuck at one location.

The Reef offered everything we were looking for for our honeymoon destination and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to get away from it all for a few days. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

3  Thank steph429
Sunshine Suites Resort
#6 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Compass Point Dive Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
19 mi away
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#5 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Wyndham Reef Resort? Share your experiences!