My family and I just returned from a fantastic week long Thanksgiving holiday at The Reef Resort and I have been singing its praises to everyone I know since my return.
John, the concierge, helped me tremendously by arranging certain things in advance, such as our car rental through McCurleys (which I highly recommend) and our reservations for Thanksgiving dinner at Mezzas in Georgetown (which, although a bit of a drive from The Reef, I highly recommend as well - the coconut curry red snapper was delicious!).
We were extremely relieved to see that the resort in general, and our room in particular, looked exactly like they were shown on the website (unfortuntely, we've ended up being disappointed by other hotels on other vacations). We stayed in a one-bedroom suite, which had a full kitchen that we ended up using so much that we didn't eat any meals at The Reef's Castro's restaurant, but I'm sure it is fantastic - just like everything else there!
We found staying on the East End of the island very relaxing as it is apart from the hussle and bustle of Seven Mile beach. Please don't be put off by driving on the left side of the road - I had never done so before this trip (and was frankly a bit concerned at first)but ended up doing all of the driving during our stay. Most of the time you won't see another car on the road, and even when you do, drivers in G.C. are very courteous to tourist drivers. I can't imagine not renting a car and the experiences of both dealing with McCurley's and driving around the island were completely stress free.
One thing I highly recommend is taking a trip out to Stingray City (it was this amenity that caused us to choose a vacation in G.C. in the first place). I give John at The Reef Resort extremely high marks for ensuring that we were able to enjoy this truly unique experience - when high winds caused the cancellation of The Reef's weekly trip to Stingray City, John quickly rebooked us on a trip with another operator later in the week and saved the day. It was truly the most memorable experience of our trip.
Other highlights included a dinner at Portofino's, a couple of visits to Rum Point and a stroll through the Colour Garden at the Queen Elizabeth II Botanical Park, all of which are fairly close by.
Overall, I have nothing but high praise for The Reef and it's staff. Our room was immaculate and stayed that way during our entire visit. The beach was literally right outside our door and we went snorkeling pretty much everyday.
If you are planning a trip to Grand Cayman, I would highly recommend The Reef Resort. My family and I can't wait to go back!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wyndham Reef Resort is the only ALL BEACHFRONT, ALL SUITE RESORT WITH AN ALL-INCLUSIVE PROGRAM ON GRAND CAYMAN. The white sands of Grand Cayman are your welcome mat and the crystal clear waters are your playground. Since all of our suites are right on the beach, you'll enjoy exploring, playing, snorkeling and diving, or soaking in the beauty just steps outside your door. This East End getaway, far from the crowds, provides a truly serene tropical escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Wyndham Reef Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Reef Hotel Grand Cayman
- Reef Hotel Grand Cayman
- Reef Resort Grand Cayman
- Wyndham Reef Resort Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands - East End