“Fantastic Thanksgiving Holiday at The Reef Resort”

Wyndham Reef Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East End
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Fantastic Thanksgiving Holiday at The Reef Resort”
Reviewed 3 December 2005

My family and I just returned from a fantastic week long Thanksgiving holiday at The Reef Resort and I have been singing its praises to everyone I know since my return.

John, the concierge, helped me tremendously by arranging certain things in advance, such as our car rental through McCurleys (which I highly recommend) and our reservations for Thanksgiving dinner at Mezzas in Georgetown (which, although a bit of a drive from The Reef, I highly recommend as well - the coconut curry red snapper was delicious!).

We were extremely relieved to see that the resort in general, and our room in particular, looked exactly like they were shown on the website (unfortuntely, we've ended up being disappointed by other hotels on other vacations). We stayed in a one-bedroom suite, which had a full kitchen that we ended up using so much that we didn't eat any meals at The Reef's Castro's restaurant, but I'm sure it is fantastic - just like everything else there!

We found staying on the East End of the island very relaxing as it is apart from the hussle and bustle of Seven Mile beach. Please don't be put off by driving on the left side of the road - I had never done so before this trip (and was frankly a bit concerned at first)but ended up doing all of the driving during our stay. Most of the time you won't see another car on the road, and even when you do, drivers in G.C. are very courteous to tourist drivers. I can't imagine not renting a car and the experiences of both dealing with McCurley's and driving around the island were completely stress free.

One thing I highly recommend is taking a trip out to Stingray City (it was this amenity that caused us to choose a vacation in G.C. in the first place). I give John at The Reef Resort extremely high marks for ensuring that we were able to enjoy this truly unique experience - when high winds caused the cancellation of The Reef's weekly trip to Stingray City, John quickly rebooked us on a trip with another operator later in the week and saved the day. It was truly the most memorable experience of our trip.

Other highlights included a dinner at Portofino's, a couple of visits to Rum Point and a stroll through the Colour Garden at the Queen Elizabeth II Botanical Park, all of which are fairly close by.

Overall, I have nothing but high praise for The Reef and it's staff. Our room was immaculate and stayed that way during our entire visit. The beach was literally right outside our door and we went snorkeling pretty much everyday.

If you are planning a trip to Grand Cayman, I would highly recommend The Reef Resort. My family and I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed November 2005
26 Thank VegasPisces

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 November 2005

My wife and I just got back from the Reef and it was a great time. The Reef is a nice quite place in the middle of nowhere. Nice clean rooms with great views. Nice pool. Nice beach. Couple tips I can give you though. Buy beer at a party store. You will pay about $30 CI for a case of Red Stripe. They are $4 each at the Reef. Stop at Hurleys Market and get some food to bring with you. The places to eat are very limited and expensive. If you do go out the extra 10 minutes to get to the Lighthouse is worth it. Skip Portofinos. They are basically the same price and the Lighthouse is way better. Besides the Reef these are the only 2 places to eat near by. Rum point is about a 20 min drive and it's really cool. The Stingray City tour is a must. Lunches looked reasonable at Rum Point. Rum Point is a good way to get away from the wind as well. The East End can be windy. It can also be a blessing on hot days. One of the other reviews talked about the rocks on shore at the Reef. They are basically shells and coral pebbles for the first 2 or 3 feet of the waters edge. Not an issue at all.
I will say that Grand Cayman seems overwhelmed by the clean up job after Ivan. There is still trash along much of the shoreline. It looks as if a storm surge sucked the contents of the homes on the water then pitched it back onto the beach. Lots of big homes on the water are still unlivable. It's also nice to visit an Island where you are not hassled by the locals. Grand Cayman is not as cheap as other Islands to visit but the trade off is a very safe place to visit.

• Stayed November 2005
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 31 August 2005

My husband and I recently spent a week in the Caymand Islands (June 2005) and were the fortunate guests of The Reef Resort. If you're looking for serenity, peace and relaxation, this resort is for you! If you're the party-going type, then this resort (about an hour away from the main city of Georgetown (where all the "fun" is) is definitely not for you. It is the perfect place for honeymooners (or couples who just want to be alone), families and those seeking a safe, quiet haven.

All rooms are clean, comfortable and come w/ private/semi-shared balconies and overlook the sea. The pools are beautiful and warm (although a bit small and not very deep). The beach is well-maintained, although the waters are a bit murky (still filled w/ debris from the recent hurricanes). It's less than a half hour drive to Rum Point, though, where snorkeling was fantastic and boats leave for Stingray City (an absolute once-in-a-lifetime experience). At the Reef itself, there are plenty of chairs for sunbathing, clean beach towels and good food and refreshing drinks at the outdoor bar.

The island itself is still in its infancy, after having recently been hit by Hurricane Ivan, and the impact is pervasive. The Reef appears to have recovered well, but there are not many restaurants/stores close by, and we mainly ate at the resort's restaurant (which was okay food, but great view). We would recommend renting a car at the airport as it's nice to have your independence, although we truthfully rarely left the resort. We ventured a 45 minute drive away one night to feast at a local restaurant, The Grand Old House. It was well worth the trip. This restaurant had the perfect ambience, delicious food and a magnficent view. We would highly recommend it!

Overall, we had a fantastic trip - peaceful, relaxing, perfect. We came back well-rested and wonderfully tanned! We would highly recommend The Reef Resort and would go back again to this beautiful island in a heartbeat.

23 Thank viv77
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 23 August 2005

My husband and I just got back from a week stay at the Reef last week and I just have to say that I absolutely loved this place. The rooms were fantastic, it had a great view and patio and they were very nice and clean. The grounds were well maintained and very safe. Unlike Jamaica, there are no peddlers trying to sell you things and bugging you, it was very, very safe. We were able to leave our stuff on the beach and go for a walk without worrying about it. What I liked most about the resort was that it was far away from the crowds so it was nice and quiet, very private. Since it is the only resort open on the beach because Morritts is still recovering from the hurricane, you pretty much had the beach to yourself. Our first day there, we were the only ones on the beach because the other guests had not checked in yet so it felt like your own paradise which is why we picked it. The beach was great except for the rocks when you first stepped in, but otherwise, it was beautiful. The snorkeling was good, we saw lots of fishes and you didn't have to go out far to be able to see them (go by the dock, there's schools of them there!). The restaurant is okay, it's what you would expect from a hotel restaurant though I have to say that the food I ordered was always salty (I always had their fish entree). The conch fritters were really good though so you have to try them for sure if you plan on eating there which you probably will since it's the only resort on that side of the island. The reef looked great from having a hurricane pass through the island. I just have to say that the island otherwise, looked horrible. It is still recovering so everything is still a mess so I wouldn't recommend going to the Caymans for a couple of years until they have rebuilt themselves. The island is mainly for divers and snorkelers and since I'm not really into either of them, I was pretty much bored because you couldn't really go anywhere with all the damage that was still around. I also recommend that if you do stay at the Reef, definitely get a room with a kitchen. We got the studio which is really nice but since eating out is so expensive, we had wished that we had gotten one with a kitchen because you can just go to the grocery store and prepare your own food. We basically spent about $80 US everytime we had a meal (including alcohol). Otherwise, the Reef is a great place to stay for couples and families and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2005
9 Thank morrison619
chicago
Reviewed 1 August 2005

We stayed at the Reef the last week of July. The resort was very well maintained, the rooms very clean and modern. The property grounds were well kept, the beach was cleaned each morning from any seaweed ( there was not very much ), the pools were also very well maintained. Overall, I would stay again at the reef. We stayed in a two bedroom suite - with kitchen. We used the kitchen for a few meals, but we probably could have just gotten one of the junior suites instead. We ate at the bar for a few dinners, the food was as we expected, nothing fantastic, but not bad either. I didn't travel to the Caymans for good food, it was more for the relaxation and the atmosphere. We did not eat one meal inside a resturaunt, all of our meals were eaten at some type of open air place. As far as activities, we went to Rum Point ( good ) went to Stingray city ( better ) went on a snorkel trip with arranged with the company at the hotel ( better ) and also went on a few snorkel trips of our own, one to cemetary reef ( fantastic ) and to Eden rock ( fantastic ). I would snorkel at all of these point again, they all had different things to look at.

• Stayed July 2005
12 Thank petechicago
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 July 2005

We honeymooned at The Reef Resort. We don't care much for very "touristy" places, so the Reef was perfect for us. Our room was very clean and the view was unbeatable! The pools were great and just a step from our door. We woke up every morning and took a quick dip while the coffee was brewing! We rented a Jeep and enjoyed the long, coastal ride from Georgetown. You must go shopping at a grocery store before heading out to the Reef. The food at the restaurant was VERY expensive...$55.00 (U.S.) for lunch (2 sandwiches and four frozen drinks)...and not all that great. There is a restaurant right down the street from the hotel called Portofino. The food was good and the view was beautiful...but $100 (U.S.) for a mediocre dinner (2 alcoholic drinks, 2 salads and 2 entrees.) you could get in the States for $40.00.
There are a few things you must do while on the East End...you must go to Rum Point (a beach with a restaurant, water sports rentals, gift shop, etc.) for the day and you must go to Stingray City. The Reef has a trip to Stingray City once a week. It was a load of fun...and free rum punch! Leona, the Reef's activities coordinator was great!
Also, Brie is the concierge at the Reef. She was wonderful! If you need something to do...just ask her, she's one of the Reef's best assets.
To be honest, I don't understand the draw of Barefoot Man. Yes, he was funny and his music was entertaining...but he was no better than someone you'd find in any beach bar on a Friday night. Not to mention, the music was too loud for such a small restaurant.
The only major complaint we had with the Reef: We were there when Hurricane Dennis was threatening to hit the islands. The staff was very concerned with the guests’ safety and peace of mind and even held a hurricane meeting to update everyone on the hurricane. Luckily, it missed the Caymans, but we did have a storm when it was going past us. That night we lost our telephones (guest rooms only, not the front desk). We didn't have telephone service for the majority of our trip. When we went to the front desk (after not having a telephone for 4 days) and asked if we could use their phone to call our families and tell them that we were okay, they said we couldn't because they had no way of charging us. They directed us to go to the gas station 10 MILES DOWN THE ROAD where we had to buy a calling card in order to use the pay phone because American calling cards don't work there. Also, my father had left a message with the front desk for us, and we didn't receive it until the next day when we happened to stop by the front desk to ask about the status of our phone. When we checked out we mentioned this problem to the staff...no apology, she simply shrugged and went on to the next customer in line. It is for this reason that, should we ever return to the Caymans, we will not be staying at the Reef.
Finally, Hurricane Ivan devastated Grand Cayman last year. When driving along the coast, you must look over piles of rubble in order to see the ocean. Most of all the coastal homes were completely demolished. The hotel next to the Reef is still not open and serves as a constant reminder of what the island went through. I would wait a while before visiting the Caymans, as they still have not recovered.

• Stayed July 2005
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed 6 July 2005

For our first ever trip to Grand Cayman in May 2005 we chose "The Reef". We were immediately impressed with how clean and perfectly maintained The Reef is. Though they suffered several millions dollars in hurricane damage in September 2004, the solid newer construction had held up remarkably well, and the staff had worked very hard to return everything to perfect condition. The entire place looks freshly painted. The beach is raked clean of seaweed every morning. We quickly settled in to our one bedroom condo, #205A. It was large and well decorated and amazingly clean. With a fantastic view of the pool and the ocean beyond, we knew we had found paradise. The ocean called, and we were soon snorkeling in 84-degree water. What a great place to stay in Grand Cayman. The restaurant is very good, especially for "The Barefoot Man" dinner show. They have two nice pools, and beach bar and a very friendly staff. You cannot go wrong at "The Reef"

• Stayed May 2005
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Wyndham Reef Resort? Share your experiences!