“A great getaway”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East End
Toronto, ON
“A great getaway”
Reviewed 25 February 2006

My wife and I just returned from a week at the Reef. We were very pleased with the resort, would recommend it and would likely return. It may not be for everybody, but it depends what you want.
We were looking for a quiet, boutique-size, beachfront hotel, and the Reef was exactly what we hoped for. The East end is very quiet, so if you're looking for nightlife and choice of restaurants it's not that.
The beach is gorgeous, and they rake it every morning. Lots of beach chairs, never crowded and the water is great for snorkelling right there. You will never get tired of the view from the balconies. It is quite windy on the East side (although I am an avid windsurfer, so for me this was good), but be aware of that.
What really struck me was the cleanliness and newness of the room, (the ironic upside of post-hurricane construction). The bathroom was spotless, the fixtures new, and I only wish my tiles and grout were as clean at home. The Reef seems to have done a great job in reconstruction, whereas the resort next door is still rebuilding. Something to do with timing of insurance money I'm told. We made our breakfast and lunch in the room (Studio). We drove a couple of nights to Georgetown for different restaurants, our favourite was Pappagallos's. The restaurant at the Reef is average, and we ended up eating more at the beach-bar with post-happy hour burgers or sandwichs. Barefoot man is worth seeing one night over dinner. We did the stingray trip with Ecoventures, it was a lot of fun and unique, and they do a good job (small boat, good gear, and they plan around the cruiseship visits, etc..)All in all, we were really happy with the Reef, and we were glad we booked there. Although it's in all the reviews, it is still amazing the destruction that Huricane Ivan did, and apart from the hotels, the island really has not fully recovered.

• Stayed February 2006
12 Thank Toronto03

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 February 2006

I don't want you to read this because I want The Reef and the East End to stay the way they are, and hoards of people heading out there won't help.......

Wow, full moon over the ocean, nibbling on a Black and Blue (blacken mahi mahi with bleu cheese) sipping a gin and tonic...............

That was my first two hours at the Reef, it only got better my friend.

Breezed through check in, requested a second floor (who needs all the foot traffic?) and got it. Huge studio, meticulously clean. And when they say ocean front, believe it.

Oh sure, the Reef is a 40 - 45 minutes drive from Andy's, but what a stunning drive it is. And if you are looking to get away, the East End may well as be on a different island than SMB. Looking to kick back, walk along an endless beach, have some great nibbles and drinks at a beach side bar, be served by a great, hard working staff........this is the place. And if you need to be in touch The Thirsty Surfer has the Internet at a reasonable rate. They also have soda, booze, sundries, bread, eggs, mild, packed lunch meat, can goods.....enough to keep you going.

People have said "oh I'll get hit with the sales pitch", NEVER happened.

This place is great! Get here to get away.

Don't miss the Lighthouse Restaurant.This place is all it is cracked up to be. Understated elegance; polished, yet unobtrusive service; succulent food with wonderful presentation.

Dinner for one, was shown to the "outside" area overlooking the water. Had no reservation, but was a little early at 6:15. They got me in, great table. Professional staff.

Started with tuna tataka. Essentially sashimi with wasabi....wonderful.

Entree was mixed grill. Mahi mahi, lobster, shrimp, julienne of veggies done to perfection, garlic smashed potatoes......beautiful!

Kaluha cheesecake and coffee for desert.

75 USD including tip.

This place is where it is at, and the fact it is removed from SMB makes all the more special.

Go, just GO!

And if you are looking for a great East End dive operation go to Ocean Frontiers. If you want to get away from it all go East my friend. Once you are there, dive with Ocean Frontiers. Drop off your gear on the first dive, and it is served up fresh and dry for the remainder of your dives….I could get used to that. Great people, Kaz, Sean, Gary, Karen, Louise, Frasier. Fast boats with 8 – 10 divers. Guided or unguided; keep the computer out of DECO, have enough air for a safety stop and life is good. Depending on the wind (YES IT IS WINDY ON THE EAST END) you’ll dive the North Wall, or the South. And if you have the sea legs, you’ll get out every day. Great operation, worthy of all the praise they get.

GET THERE!!

Here is the briefest of summaries of the dives, only “Black Rock Drop Off” was on the North Wall.

SITE COMPUTER PROFILE

Black Rock Drop Off 99 feet, 35 minutes, 77 min. temp

Grouper Grotto 51feet, 45 minutes, 76 min temp

Lots of good swim throughs

Crusher Wall (drift) 88 feet, 36 minutes, 77 min temp

Long (1 ½ mile?) drift dive, very nice

Big House 55 feet, 51 minutes, 74 min. temp

Big crab, ray, couple nice swim throughs

Crusher Wall 97 feet, 38 minutes, 76 min. temp

Awesome, dark swim through, exit at 92

Maggie’s Maze 56 feet, 56 minutes, 71 min. temp

Quite a few lobster, ray

Sunset Bay (night) 22 feet 50 minutes, 74 min temp

Couple small iridescent blue octopi, turtle, rays

Lost Valley 99 feet, 40 minutes, 77 min temp

Great swim through, exit wall at 95, bottom is 6000.
Some current, 6 foot nurse shark, moray

Little House 54 feet, 55 minutes, 77 min temp

Rough seas, turtle, ray

So don't go......

• Stayed February 2006
19 Thank ScubaWisconsin
NJ
Reviewed 5 February 2006

We stayed at the Reef Resort from 1/30 to 2/3. I just read the review from the NY person that was there the prior week to us. They had heavy winds and we had a nice breeze. Indeed, we had amazing weather.

The Reef Resort was indeed a beautiful resort. We got our room for only $130 on some special that Expedia was running at the time. I'm not sure if others also stayed at such a rate, but Orbitz and Travelocity were running about $230 for the same room, so I at least think we got a good deal.

The beach is very good. There is snorkeling right off the beach. Unlike prior reviews that mention seeing turtle and rays, I didn't see those. Hurricane Ivan ripped out Morrit's pier and this was a major attraction. RR built their own, and it is attracting quite some fish. bottom line: great clarity, many fish, but not great coral and the like. For that, i drove out to Eden's Rock and Cemetery Reef, which had great fish and great clarity.

I would say that much of the beach entrance in the area has grass. The reef resort clearly did away with some of the grass, but there's still grass in the water before the beach. Also, the beach entrance is somewhat rocky. Again, this is not to say it is not a truly great beach, because it is, but I just want to point those things out.

The room was terrific. Unfortunatly, our balcony was one of the few in which the divider between our balcony and the next balcony was not up. When a family with young kids moved next door, we asked the front desk to take care of the problem (twice), and twice they said they would but they did not and we got no other response. That is literally my one and only complaint, and I want to make clear that it was no big deal. It was still a great balcony with a terrific view of the ocean.

We rented a car from Avis, which was totally great. The little car had a nice kick to it and the Avis people happened to be the friendlist I met on the Island (which is full of friendly people).

We ate at the RR twice. Once a buffet which was good, and once for Barefoot Man, which was nice, but certainly NOT a can't miss.

We also ate at the Reef Grille, by the Royal Palms, which was beyond amazing. Worth the price. Compared to any top meal I've had elsewhere. The next night we ate at the Lighthouse, which was also great.

We heard from two people that the Coyaba grille (or something with Coyaba) was the best, but we never made it there.

Food prices are indeed very high, but after going to the grocery store, I understood why restaurants had to charge so much.

Our one lunch that we didn't make for ourselves was at Coconut Joe's, which was reasonably priced and well worth the money.

Bottom line: great trip to Grand Cayman. The Reef Resort was all it was advertised to be. A beautiful place, far from the hustle of Georgetown and 7MB. The Concierge was super helpful. Very good place. Will be even nicer when they finish renovating the last building and when Morrits finishes their construction (neither of which bothered us, but I'm just saying it'll be even nicer).

• Stayed January 2006
19 Thank Klockner
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 January 2006

I am a veteran on TripAdvisor, so I'm known for my lengthy and detailed reviews. This one will be no exception.

Five of us visited Cayman Islands for 5 days, 1/26/06 - 1/30/06. We rented a car from Andy's, which is right across the street from the airport. For 5 days, we paid about $220USD for a mid-sized car that fit all of us and our luggages. It was a Nissan Sentra and this car was extremely fuel efficient that we only had to add gas on the last day of our trip. The drive from the airport was about a good hour or so, and we were going around 60-70mph (which is WAY past their speed limit of 25-30km per hour, and 50km per hour in certain parts.) So if you follow their speed, it may take even longer. The good thing about the Cayman Islands is that there is essentially only one big road and you can't get lost, even if you tried.

We arrived right when a norwester was passing - which meant extremely strong winds and basically nothing to do. We were extremely disappointed, as you can imagine. Arriving at around 5PM at The Reef, we checked in and went to the beach bar. It was extremely windy and I was afraid that our food would be blown away. We ordered chicken wings, cocktail shrimp, fish & chips and conch fritters. It was definitely good food, but pricey. We paid about $90USD for all that and a few beers. When you order food, you must keep in mind that unless it says otherwise, everything is quoted in Cayman Island dollars ($1.25CI = $1USD).

My boyfriend and I had a studio while our three friends had a one bedroom. These rooms are huge, gorgeous and exactly like the pictures shown on the website. One negative thing was that prior to our arrival, I had e-mailed the resort asking for connecting rooms on the first floor. I was told that final room assignments would not be done until a week prior to our arrival. So the week before we arrived, I emailed AND called the resort... we had been placed on the second floor. I insisted that we were to be on the first floor (what is the point of being at a beachfront hotel if you could not walk out of your room onto the beach?). Arriving at the front desk, we were told that if we wanted to stay near each other and on the first floor, we'd have to be moved two days later to different rooms. Or we had the option of not being close together and not having to move. We took the later option. I thought that this issue had been resolved prior to us arriving but apparently not. Also, we were placed in 112B, which is the last room on the property, right next to Morritt's, which is still doing some heavy duty construction. Our friends, on the other hand, were in 106A, which was a perfect location.

Our studio had a microwave, a toaster, a coffeemaker and a good sized small refrigerator. There were dishes and utensils for two people. There is a jacuzzi tub in the middle of the room, as well as a separate shower. The TV was a little small for our tastes and there were also channels that didn't carry sound. We're not sure if this was just the way it is normally or it was because the winds were very strong.

The East End being extremely windy is definitely true. The winds DO NOT STOP. For the first three days that we were there, we were basically held hostage in our rooms because it was too windy and too cloudy to even go outside. There were times when we'd step into the hot tub, but it was far and few.

We went to Georgetown twice. Parking is a headache and driving around on the streets is a headache. Some streets don't state clearly whether it's a one way or a two way or how many lanes there are. It is extremely confusing, especially with all the cruiseship passengers milling about. Personally, I did not find Georgetown all that great and am extremely glad that we did not stay by that area or the Seven Mile Beach area. The beach is not all that impressive and I frankly think that the Reef Resort's beach is just as comparable, if not better because it is less crowded. The one perk about the Seven Mile Beach area is that it is less windy than the East End. Our friends had wanted to stay at the Marriot, which is on SMB, but later was glad that we insisted on the Reef because the Marriot was not on the beach and it was also covered in what I can only assume as Hurricane Ivan's aftermath.

We visited Hell, which is a little creepy to see, but nonetheless something that a tourist should see. It doesn't cost any money to go there so why not? It is very out of the way, so if you don't have a car, it might be hard to get to. I suggest taking along a detailed map of the island whenever you're driving because that definitely helped us navigate.

We tried eating at the Lighthouse, which we thought was a GREAT disappointment... especially since we spent about $60USD per person. The food was mediocre at best... perhaps this is because we've travelled so much and also because we're from NY, but we expected a lot more from something so famous and so legendary.

One restaurant we definitely recommend is Over the Edge Cafe, which is on the way to Rum Point. Great food at unbeatable prices. Try the steamed snapper, delicious!

The resort had happy hours from 5-7PM, but on windier days, they would hold it indoors. One thing I have to say is that we were on the islands because we wanted to stay outdoors, so two of us went to the indoor bar and ordered some food and took some of the free wings they had provided. The bartender was extremely nice (unfortunately I do not remember her name) -- she gave us recommendations on where to visit and what to eat. We were given styrofoam boxes so that we could bring the food back to our room, but after putting a few wings into the box, one of the cooks/staff members closed the box and said to the bartender "Let them know there's a limit" which I thought was extremely rude and uncalled for. There were obviously no one else there that would be eating the food, and we didn't even take that much. Besides, we have 5 people. Frankly, I wasn't present when the situation happened, or I would've given him a piece of my mind. It's bad enough that we were held hostage at the hotel due to the trade winds being so strong, but to be ridiculed and embarassed by one of the staff members at the resort was definitely adding salt to an open wound. I had read reviews that the staff were extremely accomodating and friendly, but this one person's actions were definitely uncalled for.

On the other hand, Horatio, who I believe is one of the concierges, helped us in finding a boat that would go out on Sunday for the Stingray City snorkeling tour. On Sundays, commercial companies such as Red Sail Sports and Ecoventures are not allowed to go out to Stingray City and only private tours or the locals can go out there. We went with Captain Marvin's Watersports and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Definitely ask for Chester! The Stingray City snorkeling trip cost $40USD per person and it was about a 3 hour tour, which was extremely worth it for us. We got to snorkel at two different locations and also play wtih the stingrays at the sandbar. A definite MUST DO at the Cayman Islands!!

Rum Point is beautiful and it's only a 20-30 minute drive from Reef. There are a lot of watersports you can do there with Red Sail Sports.

ALSO, if you want to jetski, go over to Morritt's, where Red Sail Sports has a tent on the beach. They offer jetskis for $65USD/half hour.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the Reef (except for the chicken wing incident). Would definitely come back here (but would never participate in any of the activities nor eat within Reef).

• Stayed January 2006
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed 8 December 2005

My husband and I returned from a week long stay at Grand Cayman Reef Resort four days ago on 12/3/2005. The information we gained from the net reading others comments and reviews of the island and it’s accommodations was so helpful to us that I decided to really do my best to return the favor for others looking for information about a recent trip to Grand Cayman and the Reef Resort by leaving a really through review of our stay. (Apparently also in the form of super long sentences) So…here it goes. Note: I am posting my comments regarding the island and the resort separately in there respective forums. In addition to this text I have posted a short video of the resort and a few beaches at www.sidhia.com/grandcaymanvideo.html.

Our Room: Our room was 104a. Lovely. So much nicer than we expected. Such a great view. In fact the appliances, full sized, were newer than the ones we have at home. The rooms were spotlessly clean and fresh smelling. They provided all of the amenities such as dish detergent, sponges to wipe up, utensils etc even the ice trays were full and ready when we arrived. The furnishings were new and nice if not upscale. Comfortable except for the bed which was so hard that we thought they had accidentally stacked two box springs. My guess is that the staff would have switched out the beds if we had said anything but we didn’t bother. The air conditioning worked like a dream. It really does feels like your own little apartment after a few days. In fact it was very similar in size and layout to my first apartment.

Regarding housekeeping: The housecleaning staff empty trash cans and collect towels once a day and clean the whole suite twice a week. GREAT housekeeping!

We had a problem with our TV that was not resolved but it was no big deal. The only real negative for us was the internet access. There was no access during the week we were at the resort and the staff seemed entirely unapologetic about this. By this I mean that when I called the front desk to ask about the error message I got when I tried to access their wireless the front desk woman said something along the lines of “yes, other guests have said they couldn’t connect. It must be down.” Period. No more information. We went to the internet café on site later in the week to ask when the wireless might be up again, and too offer my husbands help, he is a network person, and we got the same answer as before only this time they added that the network guy must be off the island because he didn’t answer his phone. It was a big deal to me. My cell phone didn’t work at all not even my voice mail and I was worried about a grandmother with a cold. No reason to think she wasn’t ok but you know how it is.

In the end what we feel makes this resort stand out above the others is the housekeeping. I guess they are the people that really set the tone for the whole resort and they set a good one. Even the beach was spotlessly kept up. GO Housekeeping! (no I am not being paid by the housekeeping staff at the Reef Resort.)

The Beach: The best sand on the island, the best off beach snorkeling of the beaches we visited though I wouldn’t recommend this island if you are especially interested in off beach snorkeling. After a few days looking around at 7 Mile Beach and Rum Point we decided that while the beaches were prettier there they were not so much better that it made sense to travel 40 minutes to get there. We decided we were better off at the resort. With that said I will now add the only real negative thing I have to say about the resort.

After trying pretty hard to think of even one negative thing about the resort we are left with just this. I wish the staff had been more forthcoming and personable. But really, I’m not buying a best friend so I’m not even sure this is a legitimate resort comment. So, assuming they will fix it so their customers can somehow connect to the internet either over a phone line or wireless, the Reef Resort is flawless. It is everything is promises to be and I recommend it. Quiet, private, just like a home away from home only with a fabulously beautiful warm water beach just feet away from your couch. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions about the island or resort.

• Stayed December 2005
34 Thank Britta
, Director at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this review, 12 December 2005
My apologies for the problems with the WiFi at the resort. Although we do provide free WiFi access throughout the resort (including the beach!) it is relatively new and we have had some technical issues, so it is not something we advertise (although those who research thoroughly tend to find out it is there!).

If it is down (and we hope to make it near 100% reliable soon, but it is not there quite yet) we do have a back up in the form of iMacs with internet access at Thirsty Surfer (the onsite internet cafe), but during your visit I think their whole system was down for a few days... which is most unusual.

So, am really glad you had a great stay, and next time you come back I can assure you that the internet will be working :)
Minneapolis
Reviewed 5 December 2005

While there was no hesitation to vacation on Grand Cayman, the question was where to stay...in busy Georgetown?, or on the quiet-tranquil east side of the island?
It didn't take long after locating The Reef Resort's website, reading reviews, and talking with the Reef Resort's concierge, that we knew the Reef Resort would be our dream vacation come true!

Cathy and Scott from Minneapolis, MN. U.S.A.

9 Thank mpls1
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 3 December 2005

My family and I just returned from a fantastic week long Thanksgiving holiday at The Reef Resort and I have been singing its praises to everyone I know since my return.

John, the concierge, helped me tremendously by arranging certain things in advance, such as our car rental through McCurleys (which I highly recommend) and our reservations for Thanksgiving dinner at Mezzas in Georgetown (which, although a bit of a drive from The Reef, I highly recommend as well - the coconut curry red snapper was delicious!).

We were extremely relieved to see that the resort in general, and our room in particular, looked exactly like they were shown on the website (unfortuntely, we've ended up being disappointed by other hotels on other vacations). We stayed in a one-bedroom suite, which had a full kitchen that we ended up using so much that we didn't eat any meals at The Reef's Castro's restaurant, but I'm sure it is fantastic - just like everything else there!

We found staying on the East End of the island very relaxing as it is apart from the hussle and bustle of Seven Mile beach. Please don't be put off by driving on the left side of the road - I had never done so before this trip (and was frankly a bit concerned at first)but ended up doing all of the driving during our stay. Most of the time you won't see another car on the road, and even when you do, drivers in G.C. are very courteous to tourist drivers. I can't imagine not renting a car and the experiences of both dealing with McCurley's and driving around the island were completely stress free.

One thing I highly recommend is taking a trip out to Stingray City (it was this amenity that caused us to choose a vacation in G.C. in the first place). I give John at The Reef Resort extremely high marks for ensuring that we were able to enjoy this truly unique experience - when high winds caused the cancellation of The Reef's weekly trip to Stingray City, John quickly rebooked us on a trip with another operator later in the week and saved the day. It was truly the most memorable experience of our trip.

Other highlights included a dinner at Portofino's, a couple of visits to Rum Point and a stroll through the Colour Garden at the Queen Elizabeth II Botanical Park, all of which are fairly close by.

Overall, I have nothing but high praise for The Reef and it's staff. Our room was immaculate and stayed that way during our entire visit. The beach was literally right outside our door and we went snorkeling pretty much everyday.

If you are planning a trip to Grand Cayman, I would highly recommend The Reef Resort. My family and I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed November 2005
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,979 reviews
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Wyndham Reef Resort? Share your experiences!