“Outstanding!”

Wyndham Reef Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in East End
Reviewed 12 October 2006

The Reef is truly an outstanding resort! The rooms were extremely clean and had a beautiful view (only feet from the beach!). The staff were very friendly and were helpful with planning activities, rental cars, and dinner reservations.

The resort is on the East End of the Island otherwise known as "the quiet side" so a rental car is a must! There are so many amazing things to see on the island: the blow holes (south side), botanical gardens, rum point, sting ray city(Red Sail Tours), Hell, turtle farm, and much more. There are two restaurants that I highly recommend: Portofinos and the Kaibo Yacht Club. Both restaurants have wonderful food for a reasonable price. But if you want to cook in, there is a great little grocery store across the street called Fosters with a pretty good selection of food. If you are looking for exercise, there is a great gym across the street run by one of the staff.

If you stay at the Reef, the staff already has some activities planned at the resort. Here are a few-
Sunday- Orientation Breakfast (enjoy a great breakfast, meet the staff, and hear about the week's activities)
Tuesday- Sting Ray City and Barefoot Man during the evening
Water Aerobics (some week days)
At noon everyday, a man feeds the fish off the dock

The Reef Resort is perfect if you don't want to be in a busy area! 7 mile beach is very busy... there are tons of hotels, shops, restaurants, and people squished onto a tiny beach. When I went over to 7 mile beach, I found it quite overwhelming. If you are looking for a clean resort, beautiful beaches, plenty of things to do, and some relaxation: stay at the Reef Resort!

Ashley Darnell
Travel Advisors, Inc.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
6  Thank AshleyNicole223
Write a ReviewReviews (1,732)

Reviewed 4 October 2006

We went to see this place following on from reading all the reviews on this website. We live on-island but were looking for a quick get-away weekend.

Rooms: The rooms are all that people have said - perfect, clean, all that you could ask for.

Food: The food at the beach bar was poor at best. Everything we ordered was pretty disgusting. My husband had the conch which he couldn't eat. I had a ceasar wrap thinking you couldn't go far wrong with that. It was greasy and over cooked. I couldn't eat it and I am not fussy. There was nothing Greek about the Greek salad and the dressing was awful (definitely out of a bottle). Even the children couldn't eat their chicken as it was hard and dry.

Staff: The staff was friendly - bar staff particularly nice.

Atmosphere: Difficult to put a finger on this one because it has SO MUCH POTENTIAL! Alas, they somehow don't quite get it right. No shady areas or hammocks gently swaying in the breeze. The bar area doesn't really have an "atmosphere". It looks like a big hotel, a big beach, a nice pool (and this area is well designed, particularly for those with kids) but not much Caribbean charm.

Next time, I think we will stick with Little Cayman which as much more of that small, lost in time, relaxing charm.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
7  Thank JanJanVanMan
Reviewed 3 October 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Reef Resort from August 25th until September 3rd. For the record, I would like to say that we are not time share owners. This was my 6th visit to Grand Cayman and my husband's first. Previously, I have stayed at the Hyatt, Treasure Island, and have rented a private home.

Overall, our experience at the Reef was excellent. I have traveled throughout the United States; Ontario, Canada; France; Ecuador; and Mexico. My travel accomodations have ranged from youth hostels to the Four Seasons.

I expect something far different from a youth hostel than the Four Seasons, but in all cases I expect cleanliness, friendly service, and that where I stay delivers what it says it will.

Our room at the Reef was just as pictured on the web site. The view was fantastic. The room was very clean. I do not think that the mattress was the best quality - clean but much too soft for my taste- and the food is nothing to write home about, but the fact is that at the Reef you will be paying far less for a spectacular location. Personally, I did not expect to find everything on par with what I would expect at a more expensive hotel or resort.

I was very disappointed with the concierge, who mishandled some very simple request. And well I found the staff to be friendly overall, no one seemed to go specifically out of his or her way for us.

Despite some minor disappointments, both my husband and I found the resort to be very relaxing. The breeze was refreshing. We loved being away from the craziness of Seven Mile Beach. We did not find traveling around the island in a rental car a problem. Proximity to Rum Point was a plus. The Light House Restaurant was not too far of a drive, and the food there is excellent.

We would both stay at this resort again. Previously, I was very interested in staying at the Westin; however, seeing how much the Seven Mile Beach area has been built-up and having experienced a very over-priced, non-spectacular brunch there on this recent trip, I no longer have any desire what-so-ever to pay more for a parking lot view at the Westin then I would for an ocean view at the Reef.

We definitely plan on staying at the Reef again on our next trip to Grand Cayman.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
10  Thank KayeDe
Reviewed 19 September 2006

I have so much to write about this place. The staff are all brilliant. We turned up and asked them to sort out a wedding for us- and they did!.(thanks to Linda). Whist the staff make a big difference, there are other factors that make this place great. The beach is spotless, the water crystal clear and snorkelling is a must as there are plenty of fish. You will find your room spotless on arrival. Our 1 bed studio looked like it had never been used. It was ground floor and you could walk right out onto the beach. Inside you get a full self catering apartment, well stocked kitchen ovens/dishwasher/fridge/freezer/coffee maker. Generously sized bedroom and a bathroom with a whirlpool bath. Onsite there 2 small shops, one selling food/beer and internet. The other sells suncream clothes etc, and is run by the dive centre called ocean frontiers. They are based 10mins down the road, but i can recommend them to any level of diver. They know their stuff!. There is a beach bar run by some cheerful girls who don't mind a party. The day we left the resort closed for a lick of paint- not that it needed it. Please note, there is some work in progress next door..you can see it but it does not trouble you, this place was quiet whilst i was here, so if it was annoying I would have noticed. Most day there was only 3 people on the beach although it was low season. Anyway- it's great here and would recommend it to anyone who likes to relax and enjoy life.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mr Steve-1
Reviewed 12 September 2006

Perfect environment for the get-away-from-it-all experience while still affording the opportunity to engage in many activities. Service is excellent/outstanding. Staff is friendly, responsive and helpful.

4/8-4/15/06

Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank mictaf
Reviewed 20 August 2006

Beautiful – Inside & Out

We had a 2-bedroom condo, which was immaculate, like new condition. Large comfortable beds with plenty of space and 2 sliding glass doors, leading to a patio on the beach. The kitchen was complete with everything you need. On the first day we walked across the street to the grocery store and purchased enough food to feed the six of us for the week. The approximate cost was $200 US. The selection was excellent and the prices were reasonable.

The 2 swimming pools and hot tub were excellent as well as very clean. The bar and restaurant were nice but on the expensive side. The beach is great. We watched the sun rise from our patio every morning, it was an amazing view.

We went scuba diving with Ocean Frontiers. Great boats and very professional. A good dive shop to go with if you are not familiar with the reefs. The east end is nice diving but I wish we dove with Dive Tech on the west end.

Sting Ray city was the best. We went on the Buccaneer, a catamaran operated on a canal on the west end. Captain Oscar was fantastic. We swan and held a nurse shark, moray eel and of course numerous stingrays. This guy knew his business and had a great personality.

Rum Point: Great for lunch and drinking. Renting the wav runners is a must do. Outstanding machines which really get up and go. The one thing which ruins Rum Point is that it closes at 4:30 pm every day. We still can not believe they actually closed with such big crowds. But they did.

The east end is secluded and very quite. We drove to the west end 3 times; around a 45-minute drive each way along the beautiful coast. The west end is very nice but a typical busy island. Plenty of activities and things to do on the west end.

If you like the peace and quite of the east end, then this is clearly the place to stay. The other resorts in the area are not as nice. Some are even dingy, like Compass Point.

All in all The Reef Resort is a great place to stay on a great island and we strongly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
12  Thank McTravel55
Reviewed 9 August 2006

The Reef was WONDERFUL!!! We originally thought we wanted to stay at an all inclusive resort but were glad we did this instead. We stayed in a one bedroom suite and it was the perfect size for us! The rooms were clean, brightly decorated, and all have a fantastic view! The resturaunts are expensive on the island so we splurged on dinners and ate breakfasts in the room. The US dollar is owth 80 cents to the Cayman Dollar. You can use either everywhere we went.

We have two kids ages 9, and 12 and they were blown away!!!
There really is great snorkeling right off the beach, the pools are very nice and not crowded, the beach was clean and beautiful and also not crowded. We liked being at the East end of the island away from any crowds but with plenty of fun activities. Seven mile beach is still just a short drive so the shops and resturaunts are readily available very easily.

The island is safe and the people are very friendly.

There is a grocery store within walking distance (200 yards),and a liquor store just a short drive away - both with very competitive prices. The hotel store is very pricey.

We booked a tour to sting ray sand bar from the dive shop and rented jet skis from the beach at the Moritz next door - both were a lot of fun!

None of us could imagine a better family vactaion!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
Sunshine Suites Resort
#6 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Compass Point Dive Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
19 mi away
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#5 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Wyndham Reef Resort? Share your experiences!