“Most relaxing vacation I've ever had -- beautiful island and resort!”

Wyndham Reef Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in East End
Reviewed 14 August 2010

A beautiful quiet resort -- perfect if you want beach and water sports but are not really looking for nightlife. We were too exhausted from snorkeling, scuba, kayaking to stay up late anyway. A good 45 min. from the airport, Georgetown, Seven Mile Beach, so rent a car (right at the airport -- cheaper than booking through Expedia -- if you are interested in these things. Staff was helpful and responsive. Continental breakfast which came with our deal was nothing to write home about, but adequate. Food is expensive everywhere on the island, so take advantage of the fully equipped kitchen and buy some food from the market across the street and eat in occasionally. Reef directly off the beach is rocky -- bring water shoes if you want to swim instead of snorkel, but the snorkeling is great! Saw lobster, barracuda, conchs and of course lots of beautiful fish -- right outside our door. Can't wait to go back again!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,760)

Reviewed 14 August 2010

Just returned from the Reef Resort and had a great time . It's a nice place to stay in an excellent location. The pools are small but the beach is great along with spectacular snorkeling right outside your room. I did not choose the all inclusive as I like to visit the restaurants on the east end and rum point. There is a supermarket a liquor store and a dunkin donnuts right accross the street which is nice. The location and the value are the strongest points of this hotel. The rooms were clean and staff was always visible and accessable. Its not a five star resort so the service can be a little lax at times The east end is the perfect place for "simple relaxation". This is a time share resort and they will ask you to take the" tour" when you check in , the tour is painless and if you want to cancel it they do not bug you too much. I can never understand why this would be a problem at a nice place such as the Reef, but they are a little wierd about giving you beach towels..... overall a really nice place to stay and get away from it all

Reviewed 13 August 2010

We went for 4 days and had the best time just relaxing on the beach, chilling and drinking mango and strawberry daiquiris all day :-)
Curtis and Sharon

Reviewed 12 August 2010

We stayed at the reef on a recommandation of a friend. The price for a nice beach front condo was $149 dollars a night. Good value for the money and for the quality of the premices. As an avid diver and snorkeler, this place was fantastic. If you have small kids who like to run into the water, it may not be so great.
The place was spotless and the staff very friendly. Breakfast which was "included" looked more like a cheap motel type of affair and was probably the only thing I disliked about our stay. Either you include breakfast or you do not. Lots of customers were somewhat disapointed by the setup.
The location may be too remote for people wanting to see the whole island and looking to spend time on seven mile beach. I liked it as I was looking for an out of the way property but it may not be for everyone.

1  Thank ortho55
Reviewed 11 August 2010

My wife and I spent a week there recently with my 14-year-old and 11-year-old. We got two rooms which was really more space than we needed but I'm not complaining. The location was ideal. It was quiet, away from the crowds and cruise ships in George Town. We had a rental car which did make things easier although we only made the 35-minute one-way trip to G-town a couple of times.

We took advantage of lots of water activities including the sting-ray city trip, the snorkel safari, the bio-luminescent night kayak trip, and at least a couple hours a day in the pools and water right in front of the resort. The kids had a great time.

The resort itself is nothing fancy but the staff is very helpful, the rooms are clean and modern, and the setting is excellent.

Dining on the island in general is very (very) expensive so we ended up making our own meals most of the time. There's an adequate grocery store across the street. We never ate at the restaurant at The Reef and I'd be hesitant to do the All Inclusive thing. Their continental breakfast, though, was fine.

Be careful of the gift-shop across the street. They sell some nice things but they take their "no returns" policy very seriously.

Overall - It's a great choice for a relaxing, Caribbean get-away.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank toramo
Reviewed 11 August 2010

I stayed here for one night because I had a reservation booked for the bio-bay kayak tour which takes off from Rum Point at night, and I didn't feel comfortable driving all the way back to SMB at night. The resort is located on the East Side, about 45 minutes from the airport by car, and just north of Morritt's. It's A LOT less crowded than the resorts on SMB and the cruise crowds rarely ever make it all the way there, so if you just want to get away from it all on Grand Cayman, this is a great choice. I took advantage of the summer sale--$99/night for a studio suite (which also apparently included a complimentary continental breakfast). And even though it's far from SMB, there's a Foster's Express (small grocery store), liquor store, and Dunkin' Donuts right across the street, and even better, Mrs. Vivine's Kitchen is just down the road!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2010

My stay was from July 23rd to 29th. I stayed in room 131B, a studio / 1 Bath. Car Rental a must. I loved my stay at The Reef Resort. I'm so glad I decided to stay at this location. If you like snorkeling, peace & quite, ocean view, and sunrises then you would love this place.

Acivities:
I did not book any of my excursions through the resort however they were still very helpful with answering my questions. Pools were okay and they don't have much night activities, however I went snorkeling right at the resort. People on the forum complained about the sea grass and rocks but if they had just asked the people at the activities stand about where to snorkel then they wouldn't have this problem. The best location on the resort is between the two docks. Just look for slightly sandy spot to gear up and you'll be snorkeling towards the clear water in no time. Of course a few feet from shore the water is murky but once you get past that you'll see that the water is really clear. There are quite a few things to see once you get past 25ft. As for booking through the resort, I think the prices are competitive with other places but I liked other options. You can also get a free sting ray city trip if you sit with their membership people for an hour. Unfortunately, I already booked it before I arrived.

FYI: If you like Testudo's snorkeling guides then you'll be close to a couple of great locations for snorkeling if you stay at this resort.

Food:
The resort food was okay but I didn't plan on eating there much. I believe their prices were a bit steep for the food once converted into US. There is a dunkin donuts and grocery store across the street, but for all the restaurants you'll need to drive out. If you don't mind having to drive 15 to 40mins, depending on what restaurant, then this will be fine. If you want to cook, then you can book a room with a kitchen. I must admit, at one point the driving did get slightly annoying.

Room/Service:
I liked my room. View was great and air conditioning was easily controlled. We had a microwave and a decently sized mini fridge. TV worked fine. Best part of the room was the ocean view. I was on the first floor so I was able to walk right onto the beach. Hermit crabs loved to crawl onto our patio area. It was kinda cool. Cleaning lady swept our floor everytime she came in. Also, strangely enough I didn't have one single bug bite. I even smoked outside on the patio at random hours and no bites. The only downside was that the bed was kinda too soft on one side and sunk in a bit. As for all the staff, I did not have any problems with them. They helped me when I needed them and were very friendly. I wish the resort provided free internet though.

Overall:
For the value I paid to stay at this resort, I'm totally happy with it. I enjoyed the location for it's calm setting and settled on driving to get food/excursions. It was so close to the snorkeling locations I wanted to go to so it was perfect. No regrets on choosing The Reef Resort.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phatony1
Sunshine Suites Resort
Sunshine Suites Resort
#6 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
19 mi away
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#5 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Wyndham Reef Resort? Share your experiences!