We decided to book the Reef Resort based upon all of the great comments we read on this site. We were not disappointed! Everything about the Reef was great. We were celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary and they left a bottle of champagne and a nice anniverary card in the room for us. We really wanted someplace peaceful and quiet and this was just perfect. We stayed in a studio unit on the second floor in the newest building and we may have been the first guests to use the room - it looked that new. Everything was sparkling clean, and the kitchenette was adequately stocked. I don't think there were more than two other couples in that building and very few others at the resort, so we felt like we had the place to ourselves. The staff was friendly and we especially enjoyed chatting with John who feeds the fish from the dock each day at noon.
We used Dexter's Fantasea Tours for our trip to the Stingray Sandbar and it was a good choice. There were only 16 people on the sailboat and since there weren't any cruise ships in port Dexter's was the only boat at the Sandbar. I would definitely recommend Dexter's if you have any kids - the water is shallower and Dexter makes sure everyone gets to touch or hold the stingrays - he's right in the water with you the whole time.
We ate at the Reef's beach bar the first evening. My husband sampled the fish and chips and I had a burger - both were good. The next night we tried Portofino's and really liked that - great Italian food and not outrageously expensive. We actually returned to Portofino's on our last night because we liked it so much. It's about 5 minutes from the resort. The only restaurant we didn't like was Viviane's - we wanted to try it because they advertised local foods. We both ordered the fried fish and chips and my husband got a couple of decent sized chunks of fish, but my plate had a small, whole fish on it that had been deep-fried (head and all) but there was absolutely NO meat on the fish! We told the server when we went up to the window to pay her (after she delivered our plates she never returned to check on us at all - we even had to call out loud for them to come to the window so we could pay them), but she didn't seem to care at all about my lack of a meal. We were the only ones there that night and I can see why. We would never take a chance on that place again.
We flew on a direct flight out of Charlotte and we picked up a bottle of wine and a bottle of rum at the duty-free in Charlotte. We were glad we did since the liquor prices on the island were incredibly high - about three times what the same bottle of wine would cost here. I wish we could have packed some in our luggage since the duty-free wasn't terribly inexpensive either.
We drove into Georgetown one afternoon and it was a pleasant place to wander around - again no cruise ships - so it was practically deserted. We drove by the Hell post office to take a picture. It was closed so we couldn't send postcards. Another afternoon we drove to Rum Point. It was a pleasant place to hang out for a few hours and we have some great pictures from there.
We have been to several different Caribbean islands and we both agreed that so far this is our favorite. We will definitely return and I am sure we would choose the Reef Resort again - we loved it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wyndham Reef Resort is the only ALL BEACHFRONT, ALL SUITE RESORT WITH AN ALL-INCLUSIVE PROGRAM ON GRAND CAYMAN. The white sands of Grand Cayman are your welcome mat and the crystal clear waters are your playground. Since all of our suites are right on the beach, you'll enjoy exploring, playing, snorkeling and diving, or soaking in the beauty just steps outside your door. This East End getaway, far from the crowds, provides a truly serene tropical escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Wyndham Reef Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Reef Hotel Grand Cayman
- Reef Hotel Grand Cayman
- Reef Resort Grand Cayman
- Wyndham Reef Resort Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands - East End