“Can't wait until we go back. 7 Days isn't enough time.”

Wyndham Reef Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in East End
Reviewed 22 January 2011

I booked "Simply Romance All Inclusive package" for 7 days for my wife and I. I am working in Afghanistan and during December I came home for my 6 month break. My wife and I looked for over 2 months and we finally decided on The Reef after seeing all the great reviews. I tell you we were not disappointed.

We flew into Grand Cayman on Cayman Airways, and as soon as we took off they were offering us Rum Punch. You quickly realize that is the official drink of the islands. The airport is fairly small which is a warm welcome compared to Atlanta and Maimi. Its real easy to get to and out of. We rented a car which I highly recommend reserving when you make book your stay.

The drive to the resort is only about 45 minutes from the airport. Its real easy to find, because there is only one main road that runs along the southern coast of the island. Its a nice drive that has great views of the water. Plenty of picture taking opportunities along the way.

The room was plenty big for my wife and I. The jacuzzi tube was a nice way to relax in private. The view from our room was increditable! I've included a picture of the view from our balcony. The room and resort were very clean and well kept. The only draw back to the entire resort was the bed, it was VERY firm. If you like firm beds, your in luck.

We choose the "Simply All-Inclusive" plan because I heard that dining was expensive. We were very worried that the quality of the food was going to be lower because we were all-inclusives. I thought we might have to settle for buffets every night, but were pleasantly surprised that we could order a la carte for every meal. I did budget some money that we could us to eat at other places on the island, but we found the food was just as good at the resort. I would suggest you tip the wait staff, as they make VERY little money off all-inclusives and they work very hard. Everyone was very helpful and if we didn't like something, they exchanged it.

The concierge staff is also very helpfull. Thanks Lindsey (I'm know I'm mispelling your name). We did a lot while we were there. We took an hour helicopter tour of the island, we took a day tour to one of the other islands, Cayman Brac, we took a dive on a underwater submarine, toured the botanical garderns. The one thing that everyone needs to do is Stingray City. That was probably one thing I will never forget. The rays are in their natural habitat, not a pool like the dolphins.

The weather is not the best in the winter months, lots of wind and overcast skies. But we came from 6 inches of snow and sub freezing temps, so anything about 60 was an improvement.

Just on case I didn't convince you otherwise, I would recommend The Reef and I look forward to going back.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nectros
TomCayman, Director at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2011

Great to hear the guest had such a great time, starting with the Rum Punch on Cayman Airways. We are very proud of our national airline, and yes, your vacation gets an early start with that lovely Rum Punch !

With regard to firm beds, we do encourage our guests to let us know, as we do have some alternatives to assist guests with this.

One other factual point is re tips for staff when guests are on the all inclusive. I won't dive into details, but suffice to say sometimes the staff have trouble grasping how this is done. I can assure guests though that staff are compensated and with a fair system to handle this.

Anyway, thanks again for choosing theReef, and the team look forward to welcoming you back !

Reviewed 20 January 2011

We just returned from 9 nights at the Reef. We have stayed at many 5 star resorts but for this trip is was more important for me to book at a quiet resort with a guarnteed beachfront room. I thought this place was great for what we paid (got a great rate on Orbitz). It is more like a 4 star. We had a one bedroom suite with a walk out to the beach which was great for my young kids. Full kitchen, equiped with everything you need. Yes, the cleaning staff didn't do a great job. I didn't realize they don't clean the room on a daily basis - makes sense now. They kept bringing towels, and washing the odd glass I forgot to put in the dishwasher so maybe they should let people know it is not fully cleaned everyday. But it was fine with me, The snorkelling off the beach was good. I actually saw a 5ft Black Tip Reef Shark while snorkelling near the end of the pier. One previous post mentioned dogs. I never heard them barking but saw the guy with the dogs in the truck one morning. I asked him what they were for - and he said night security. It actually made me feel better as we were at the end of the third building - further from the front desk. The staff was great. Linera helped out with my room, I think the woman at the front desk was Michelle and she was alwaysquite pleasant. I liked the restaurants. Jerk Chicken pizza and Egg Rolls were great. I loved Tukka down the road - Chef Ron was awesome and great Lobster. Fosters and the liquor store across the street was really handy. We had a car and drove to SMB and Rum point a few times. Yes we had some windy days - that's why is was great having a car. Our last day there was no wind but super hot. The wind was actually a good thing. Pools were great - yes hot tub a bit yellow. Internet was available at a cost. I didn't go to the gym but saw it throught the window and looked pretty good.Would totally return.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Mantalady
Reviewed 19 January 2011

Let me start by stating that we have been owners at the Reef for the past 7 years and we own two weeks. (We don't use the points system.) We have always been pleased with the service and treatment by the staff. However, this trip was completely different. There is NO housekeeping. Trash used to be picked up and fresh towels delivered, if needed, on a daily basis. Now it's once a week. What really made us angry was this letter we received upon check in. It explained the new housekeeping policy but stated that each room had been supplied with a set of spare linens and if you needed more towels or linens, to simply call the desk and they would be delivered immediately! What a joke!!! There were NO spare linens and we had to keep calling to get new sheets. My husband finally went down to the laundry room to retrieve them himself. THEN, they gave him the wrong size. We FINALLY got housekeeping to correct the problem after many additional phone calls. What makes it worse is there is no broom to try and keep the sand from piling up. After a week on a beachfront hotel, the rooms get dirty and sandy. In prior years, the rooms were completely cleaned on Wednesday. That is no longer the case. To top it off, as members we are supposed to meet with the sales team for our gift and any updates regarding the resort. I didn't attend so my husband went alone. He was told, we get no gifts because we BOTH didn't attend their so-called meeting. Is this anyway to treat a member of 7 years? We can not recommend The Reef at this time. It's unfortunate to see what is happening to it!!!

2  Thank doglover192

A first point here is that theReef is what is called a "mixed use" resort. Every room is independently owned, either as a "whole ownership" condominium, a "fractional" (quarter share), or a "timeshare" (points or weeks of ownership).

This review is by a timeshare owner. It is important to note that owners receive a different level of housekeeping service than resort guests, who do receive regular daily service as would be expected at a resort hotel. The level of service received by owners is set by the owners in consultation with resort management based upon how they wish to balance their level of service with their budget.

Given the current economic situation, timeshare owners service was changed in 2010 to cut back on housekeeping service, but the experience of this guest in terms of not having spare linens in there room can only be categorised as an error of omission on the part of our housekeeping department, and for that we apologise.

I have also been asked to note that all rooms do contain a whisk broom and brush, as even for resort guests with daily housekeeping, one side effect of all our suites being beachfront is that sometimes one does trek sand in onto the tile floors, so all rooms are equipped so one can quickly sweep them out in a moment.

With regard to any other specific concerns for other owners, we would ask them to contact us directly, as TripAdvisor is a forum geared towards resort hotel guests considering visiting resorts for the first time, not Timeshare or other owners.

Reviewed 18 January 2011

Enjoyed this place tremendously. The staff was nice, our rooms were spotless and visited daily by housekeeping. The rooms are right on the beach so you can fall asleep to the sound of the waves. It just doesn't get much better. The beach bar has outstanding food and you have to try the Caybrew. Don't leave without a visit to Stingray City. I highly recommend staying here. It is on the quieter side of the island. We look for sun, beach and quiet time. This is the place that gives you all three!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Love to hear from all our guests, but always great to hear from such a happy one :)

Great tip on Caybrew. On a personal level, I try to be as environmentally sustainable as I can, and as there is no central recycling programme in Cayman, drinking Caybrew is not only a great taste choice, but they recycle their bottles :)

A story around falling asleep to the sound of the ocean. By one of the pools at the resort we have a bronze dolphin fountain. We used to leave it running overnight, but some guests complained, said they couldn't hear the ocean for the sound of the fountain. What a great thought ! Ever since then, we turn off the fountain at night :)

Reviewed 18 January 2011

We just had a great week at The Reef. Prior to vacationing, staff was great about replying to emails and offering helpful suggestiions and information. My husband and I took our two daughters and their husbands, our college-age son and his girlfriend as our Christmas gift. We rented two of the two-bedroom units, allowing everyone to have some private space. Units were roomy and nice - TVs are small and old-school, but we didn't really use them anyway.
We opted for all-inclusive, which eased the stress of counting how many drinks someone ordered and we could have lobster every night if we wanted to!! Drinks were far better than other inclusives we have experienced. Money-wise I am not sure we came out ahead, but the best part was I didn't have to worry about mounting up big bar & food tabs.
It is not the place to go for wild partying, but the young adults stayed up late at the Rusty Pelican and played cards. Staff at the restaurants were fun - especially Frankie, Sandy and Nicholas. You don't have to dress up - guys can wear shorts to all meals.
Workout facility was fine - nothing outstanding though. Beach was beautiful, tho rocky when in the water. Great view from each unit. Apollo's kayak trip is fun and drinking juice from fresh coconuts was a new experience. Snorkeling just off the resort was good!
Stingray city was a blast and we also did a reef fishing trip and our group caught 36 fish! Weather was good but pretty windy! Definitely want to bring a sweatshirt or jacket for evenings. The windy weather made watersports impossible the last couple days.
I have no complaints!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank FunAndSunOnBeach
Reviewed 18 January 2011

My husband & I wanted to get away to celebrate the New Year. We choose the Reef based on the other reviews stating that it is quite because we wanted to get away from the hussle & bussle of life. This resort is about 45 minutes away from the airport. You should get a rental car (careful you will drive on the opposite side of the road if used to North America)because the taxi is about $50 one way and chances are you are going to want to come back to town at some point. Their New Years celebration was perfect, great food, music and fireworks all on the beach. Staff was very pleasant over all & the room was very clean & quiet. Beds were plesant & plenty of pillows. Drawbacks? Not sure if it was the time of year, but this side of the island was extremely windy, so much so that you had to wear long sleeves to be comfortable. Pools were ok, but the whirlpools were yellow and it wasn't even that busy. We never were able to find the spa or get a hold of them to book anything. Strangest thing - we kept hearing dogs barking in the maintenance room, Big dogs. The next morning a local drove up with a truck filled with wooden boxes with breathing holes and each box was filled with mean barking dogs. The dogs were "fighting" dogs for sport and someone on the staff was keeping the dogs in the maintenance room. That was it for me - beach too windy, nothing to do other than sit by the pool or beach, whirlpools yellow, no spa service...we booked for a week and checked out after two days...

11  Thank 3boysand1girl
TomCayman, Manager at Wyndham Reef Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2011

As with all guest concerns and issues, we do ask that all of our valued guests do express any concerns or questions to management whilst on our property, as we are always happy to assist. It is particularly unfortunate that in this case this guest did not do so and so cut their vacation short. On one point in particular, re a concern over dogs at the resort, the guest review misrepresents theReef and, should they have asked during their stay, they could easily have been given the following information.

The dogs described by the guest as barking were in a basement maintenance room and were part of a professional canine security patrol. These are highly trained working dogs that are on property every night to enhance our guests safety. These dogs are well looked after and are brought out to The Reef from the kennels by the security company every evening and picked up again each morning. There is a short period of time each day between the Security dog being dropped off and the Security Officer starting his shift when he patrols the property throughout the night with the dog. During this in between time, the security dog is kept in an airconditioned space for comfort and the same each morning once the Security Officer has finished his shift.

These dogs are only on property for security purposes, at no time would anyone here at The Reef condone such a thing as dog fighting as the guest said. Our staff are animal lovers and we many strongly support the animal shelter on island, in addition to spaying and neutering any stray animals that do venture on to our property, supporting the Blue Iguana rescue program on island and protecting turtle nests on our beach every year during nesting season.

With regard to not being able to find the Le Soleil Spa, thisis open every day and is on site. Our concierge, activities director or front desk staff would have been more than happy to have assisted this guest with directions and any reservations for treatments via phone or in person in our lobby had they been asked.

Our pools and hot tubs are cleaned and treated every morning, this treatment does take about an hour to neutralize and clean the water. Our Operations Manager was asked about the issue the guest review raised and noted that, due to exceptionally high occupancy during the period that this guest stayed, the hot tubs were very heavily utilized each day and additional treatments were administered. This heavy usage of the hot tubs can often result in discoloured water due to sunscreen, spillages and other such factors during these busy times.

Unfortunately, we do not have any control over the weather and have experienced a few weeks of intermittent windy weather which is often determined by the Winter Storms on the East Coast on the US. However, our version of the blizzards and ice storms is a stiff breeze and temperatures in the 70’s! Today it is a beautiful 85 degrees with absolutely no breeze whatsoever –perfect! As far as activities and things to do, as this reviewer mentions, most of our guests do come to The Reef to get away from the hustle and bustle of the Seven Mile Beach area and love our relaxing, peaceful, tranquil location with the ‘real island feel’.

Once again, we do highly encourage all of our guests to address any issues or concerns that they have with The Reef with a Manager whilst they are on property. If there is anything that we can do to assist we will!

Reviewed 17 January 2011

Just back from a one-week stay at the Reef. We were looking for some quality time with our six year old son, and loved being on the quiet end of Grand Cayman, away from the commercialism of Seven Mile Beach. We found that the eastern part of the island had almost everything we needed – great ocean views, decent beaches and snorkeling and some good restaurants (Tukka and Over the Edge stand out). We hung out at Rum Point and visited Stingray City from there. The Botanical Gardens are worth seeing. The only thing we did at the other end of the island was visit the Turtle Farm – great for kids.

It was cooler and winder than normal when we visited Grand Cayman, and the seas were a bit rough as result, but this did not stop us for having a great time.

Overall, our stay at the Reef was very positive. We had a huge two bedroom unit with a full kitchen and an ocean view. It was great falling asleep to the sound of the waves. We could sleep with the windows open as the breeze kept the mosquitoes away. The unit was well maintained and very clean. The pools and watersports facilities were fine. The continental breakfast (free with our room) was adequate, and can be supplemented through ordering off the menu. Most staff, including the concierges, were friendly and helpful. We got the obligatory time share pitch, but this was not really a “hard sell”.

Negatives? Well, the front desk staff at the Reef did not impress. We did not try the main restaurant, as we heard it was not very good. The only food store near the Reef was very small and lacked fresh produce. The island itself is quite pricey and lacks the Caribbean vibe found elsewhere.

Overall, however, Grand Cayman is a great destination for a relaxing, low key kind of holiday, and we would stay at the Reef again. We were surprised by several recent negative TripAdvisor reviews. It seems clear that the people involved were looking for a very different holiday experience, and perhaps they did not do their homework before booking.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#5 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Wyndham Reef Resort? Share your experiences!