We traveled down to the East Side of Grand Cayman for a week filled full of some of the world's best diving and Compass Point did not disappoint. Upon arrival we headed to our room to find crates next to the door to drop our Scuba gear in. The next morning it was picked up and taken to the boat (we were diving with the onsite outfitter Ocean Frontiers) and we did not touch it again until the final day. Being as this is a review of the Dive Resort however I will stick to that largely, rather than review OF here.
The resort is small but nice. It has 2 pools (the one on the main deck is mainly used for teaching during the day and the second one is across the street in with the new addition. Both pools were nice, clean, and very adequate considering as much time as we were going to be in the Ocean and as little as were were going to be in the pool.
The staff at the hotel were all very helpful and accommodating from Day 1 and we enjoyed just hanging out and talking to them all very much. There was a diver's welcome Rum Punch Party on Sunday where they give you a nice lay of the land and all of the dive trips they offer throughout the week.
I am sure if you are considering staying here that you realize it is on the East End, which is about 40 minutes from Seven Mile Beach. The privacy of the East Side is exactly what we were looking for, however if you are wanting to spend every night out eating and need tons of other things to do besides diving then the East End is definitely going to be out of the way for you. And a car is an absolute must if you are going to be staying on this side just FYI.
The condo itself was comfortable and large enough for the two of us. I do not recall what the resort website said in terms of a bed but it should be noted that the room we were in contained only a Full-Sized mattress and was not really all that comfortable even for two small people (we weigh 275 lbs together). It was also quite springy so if either of us moved, the other was awake immediately. All in all that is why I had to give the resort only 2 stars for sleep quality because if all of the rooms have this small of a bed, then good, restful sleep is going to be hard to come by. One of us often ended up sleeping on the couch because the bed was so small.
Like the previous reviewer, I also feel that the entire cost of the car rental should be included when free car rental is stated and although it was only a $30 charge roughly, a guest should not have to pay taxes on a car rental that is considered to be "included with the room."
With that said however, I would recommend Compass Point to anyone looking to go to Grand Cayman on a dive trip. Ocean Frontiers is a top, top notch dive operator and I will probably never dive with anyone else in GCM after having dived with them. I would not recommend Compass Point to anyone looking just looking for a place to stay and relax as there are better options on the island.
I will more than likely stay there again in the future but will also consider other options close by simply because of the terrible bed. If the bed was replaced with a queen or heaven forbid a king then I would recommend Compass Point no matter what the purpose of your trip to Grand Cayman.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- LAID BACK LUXURY....Located on the untouched, pristine East End of the Island. Situated approximately 21 miles East from Grand Cayman's international airport and approximately 1 mile past the sleepy village of East End.Compass Point Dive Resort Compromises of 28 luxurious one, two and three bedroom oceanfront and poolside condominiums, each with their own private patio or balcony. Each condominium is beautifully appointed with stylish island decor and fully equipped with all of the comforts of home. New in 2013, Eagle Ray's Bar & Grill, dockside overlooking the Caribbean Sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Compass Point Dive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Compass Point Dive Hotel East End
- Compass Point Dive Resort Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands - East End