I have been to Compass Point 3 times now on vacation. If you are a diver - this is diver paradise. First the good parts - 1) Dive Quality -among the best in the entire world i've been too - there are stunning reefs and wall dives just minutes away from the resort by boat. Additionally, since it's the East End - it's hard to get to - you'll never have a crowd at any dive site. 2) Integrated Hotel/Dive operation - you simply wake up - walk to the boat and your dive gear is set up. No need to drive from a hotel to a dive operator - when you arrive, put your shoes at the door and you'll need them when you leave -but never in-between. wonderful way to vacation. 3) Kitchen option - each unit has a decently enough equipped kitchen so you don't have to buy your meals out every time. This is a really nice option - and can save you a lot of money. However, be aware that fresh food costs a small (sometimes large) ransom on this island. 4) Condo Quality - it's a first rate condo with all the amenities - TV, A/C, shower etc. Definitely nothing lacking here at all. US/UK vacationers will not be disappointed or miss anything. 5) Dive Operator - A+ operator in Ocean Frontiers. This staff is incredibly knowledgable, friendly, helpful - and most importantly - SAFE. I had the best dives day after day - and one great bonus is that they have NO BOTTOM TIME LIMITS - as long as you stay out of the deco range. That means for good breathers like me - I can do those 1 hr 15 minute dives on the reef if things are going well without cutting it short. Wondering to do that.
Now any criticisms - 1) Location - it's the East End - there's nothing there. Seriously - about 50 people live on that end of the island. You'll need a car. And plan on 1 hr to get there or get back to the airport. 2) Location, part 2 - there is a restaurant at the hotel, but only really one serious other choice on that end of the island. You have a subway and a fish stand. And one "mini-mart". So forget "last minute" planning for food. 3) Diving/Weather - the East End takes the brunt of the weather - and you should expect that from day to day - it's a last minute call as to whether the dive site will be open. Don't have your heart set on any location - it really can get rough on that end of the island. 4) Other activities - this hotel is designed for one purpose - diving. If you plan on going to Grand Cayman and staying here and seeing other things - you are really going to be disappointed. This is world class diving and diving accommodations and nothing else. yes there's lawn chairs and you can read by the pool - but that's about it. no shopping and no nature walks, etc.
That said - i love diving the West End once a year and the East End once a year and stay here when I go to the East End. Have fun.
PS the best piece of advice I can give you if you are staying - right around the corner from the airport - right by the rental cars - a "Fosters" grocery store - it's the big one on the island. Stop there and stock up - and take it to the East End. you'll get the food you want - the Foster on the East End is really a "mini mart". Also - next door is a liquor store - get your beer and your wine there - there's a teeny tiny one on the East End with not as much selection.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- LAID BACK LUXURY....Located on the untouched, pristine East End of the Island. Situated approximately 21 miles East from Grand Cayman's international airport and approximately 1 mile past the sleepy village of East End.Compass Point Dive Resort Compromises of 28 luxurious one, two and three bedroom oceanfront and poolside condominiums, each with their own private patio or balcony. Each condominium is beautifully appointed with stylish island decor and fully equipped with all of the comforts of home. New in 2013, Eagle Ray's Bar & Grill, dockside overlooking the Caribbean Sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Compass Point Dive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Compass Point Dive Hotel East End
- Compass Point Dive Resort Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands - East End