“Compass Point - Wonderful”

Compass Point Dive Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in East End
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 5 November 2009

Stayed here and used for diving. Great place. Accommodations were superb. Staff is very friendly. Diving is enjoyable (except some sites can be a LONG boat ride), safety is a priority, scenery is wonderful. The whole island was great, but East End is quiet, serene and you see the best sunrises! HIghly recommend if you are looking for a quiet dive vacation with nice evenings to yourself.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Compass Point Dive Resort

Reviewed 23 October 2009

I went to Compass Point Dive Resort a few weeks ago to finish my Open Water Divers certification. I had problems with my ears, which turned out to be a terrible ear infection, so I was only able to get Scuba Divers certification as I could not get myself to go below 30 ft before i found out I had swimmers ear. Ok, that happens. But what was so disappointing to me was the overall treatment by my instructor and another instructor on one of my trips out. They made me feel like I was a nuisance, an outsider and hardly gave me the time of day. My boyfriend was already certified and had a great experience with the staff he worked with. The front desk people were also wonderful.

So my entire week I couldn't dive, and there's nothing else on the resort to do if you can't dive. Just be aware of that. You can't swim off their beach (turtlegrass everywhere), and the pool is often used for training. The rooms were clean and very nice, however. There is also no food or bar available onsite.

My instructor also told me that they were way understaffed and that was due to the unforeseen popularity of an October special they ran. So maybe their attitudes were the result of that. I would only recommend this place if you already have your certification. I got the feeling that teaching wasn't as fun to the divers as the actual dives with certified guests. Again, maybe they were just fatiqued.

I'm a very easy going person, and I was very upset by the treatment here.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Wrenthamtravelers
Reviewed 10 October 2009

Compass Point is a place we'd wanted to visit for a long time, and we finally went. Unfortunately we only stayed for one night. The accommodations were absolutely amazing, clean, and in the quieter area on Grand Cayman. Would highly recommend to anyone diving or looking for a nice relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2009

Best Scuba diving I've ever done. I rolled out of bed and was 100ft from the diveboat. All the gear was set up for me and taken care of. All I had to do was show up. The resort was wonderful the staff was outstanding, respectful and very helpful. This resort hands down gets my recommendation for divers. No nightlife around, not very child friendly and isolated on the east end are the drawbacks.

2  Thank torpedoseal
Reviewed 6 October 2009

I felt that the dive master was very safe and courteous to all that were on the boat. The office staff went above and beyond my expectations. The resort was away from the tourist crowd and this was very appealing to me. Our room was perfect and we really enjoyed cooking our own meals there. The service provided to my Son and I as divers could not have been better.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2009

Wonderful room and beautiful beach, so hard to choose between the amazing diving out on the pristine East End reefs and the comfy clean and modern accomodations.

Reviewed 5 October 2009

If you're a diver, a snorkeler, or just someone wanting to get away from the hustle and bustle, this is the place for you. Everything is organized for your convenience, the rooms are clean and roomy, and the ocean is amazing. The local small eateries are wonderful. Everyone talks about 7 Mile Beach, but that's just full of highrises and lots of tourist traps. East End is more Caymanian, more casual, less commercial.

1  Thank wyodiver
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Compass Point Dive Resort? Share your experiences!