“Must & will go back!!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Kansas City
“Must & will go back!!”
Reviewed 20 January 2010

I wanted to have a unique 50th birthday & had fallen in love with Grand Cayman on a cruise years earlier. I booked an air/hotel package thru an online travel company & this is the resort I was booked at. I wasn't a diver, but it had always interested me, so I figured that since I was going to a dive resort I might as well check it out. I completed my classroom & confined water dives at my local dive shop & planned on getting my open water certification here. The day I was going to start was two days after the earthquake in Haiti & the water that normally is very calm was really rough. I stepped off the dive boat twice & was just too overwhelmed by the waves & current & decided not to try again. We went back to the shop & found out it wasn't supposed to calm down until the day I left. HOWEVER - not diving did not take anything away from this trip. I have never stayed in a more beautiful, peaceful place. Everyone was so friendly - even when my trip turned into a non-diving one. My room was perfect in every way. I knew enough about the resort to know to bring my own groceries, etc & my stay was everything & more that I could have wanted. I can't wait to go back as soon as I can!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Amazed755

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
new york city
Reviewed 7 January 2010

This hotel is located in a relatively remote part of the Grand Cayman, which is a tremendous plus if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of a big city. All rooms have ocean view, which was fabulous. This is a perfect place, for those who want to avoid expensive restaurants and don't mind cooking in a fully equipped kitchen. We also took full advantage of the outdoor grill. The only thing to keep in mind is the limited cleaning service. A maid comes in every day to make the bed, but doesn't wipe floors, or clean the bath tub, or change towels. You have to pay extra for all those perks. We also had trouble with the wi-fi reception, but it seemed to be room-specific.
We selected this resort because of its diving services and weren't disappointed - 5 star rating! Everyone was very friendly and helpful. However, if you're traveling with someone, who doesn't dive, please be aware that the beach is very small and waters are not "swimmable". There is seaweed everywhere. As an alternative to the beach, you can take advantage of the pool and the sun deck. Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alonnyc
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 18 December 2009

We booked a package with Compass Point, and Ocean Frontiers (on-site dive shop; separate review). Our stay was 9 days and we wished it was longer.

The package included a car rental with Avis -- this was a very small Daihatsu, ok for 2 people and dive equipment but if you need more room, upgrade. The rental is for 24 hours; if you go over time they'll charge you $7.50/hour. After a couple of incorrect turns at the roundabouts, we made it easily to Compass Point.

As we requested, we had an upper (3rd floor) room. There are no elevators so you'll get to carry your gear up if you choose this. The view is spectacular -- when you enter the apt, you just see ocean, like I'd imagine a view from a ship. Each 1-br apt is about 725 Sq Ft, a nice size for a week or two. It would be cramped with more than 2 people but there are Murphy beds if anyone wants to try it.

The rooms have queen beds. There's a bath/shower combination, with lots of hot water and Jacuzzi jets. The bathroom is compact and functional. The kitchen is well-equipped, even with a pitcher for drinks and lots of cooking utensils. There's a washer/dryer and a dishwasher. The units are self-catering, but also include a small welcome package of salt/pepper, dish detergent, a roll of paper towels etc so you don't have to run out right away. You will need to take your own shampoo and conditioner etc.

A couple of eco-friendly features -- the toilets are low-flow (6 L flush), and the A/C is set to a low-use mode, which will turn off if the door is left on. There are also sensors in the living room, and if the apt isn't used for a couple of hours, the A/C turns off.

The balcony is large and we enjoyed eating breakfast there every am. There's lots of light in the units, no need to turn on the lights until after dark.

There's no restaurant on site, but apparently will be a bar soon. We enjoyed making our own meals anyway. There's a Fosters Express about 10 min away, and better stores in Savannah, about 25 min away.

Currently there are two buildings, one with 1-br and one with 2-br units. Under construction is a 3rd building across the street. We did a tour -- these new units will be larger, with 1 1/2 baths and king beds and another pool. You can buy timeshares in these.

We awoke every morning with a rooster who crowed at the decent hour of 6:30. The tanks start clanging at around 7 am -- this is a dive resort, not an all-inclusive, and I don't think anyone complains about tank noise. Aside from that and the occasional dog, there's really no noise including very little traffic. The location is ideal for peace and quiet.

The staff are friendly and helpful, and if introduced, remember your name.

Once a week there's a Diver's Night, with food and dive videos. They also have an orientation afternoon with rum punch and an intro to activities. Other diversions offered include yoga, kiteboarding and moonlight bioluminescence kayaking. There are TVs in bedroom and living room with decent channels, and free high-speed internet. There's a beach with lounge chairs and shade. Overall the vibe is "dive and relax".

Housekeeping kept the place clean, although we didn't always need their services. The accommodation was free of bugs.

We really, really enjoyed our stay at Compass Point and are already planning our next trip. Grand Cayman in general is expensive but staying here is very reasonable.

2 Thank CrystalVancouver
washington, dc
Reviewed 14 December 2009

Just bought a fractional share here -- what more can I say. This is the Cayman you completely miss if you stay in the Seven Mile Beach tourist ghetto. Oh, and the island's best dive operation, Ocean Frontiers, is on site.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank markrovner
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 6 December 2009

This was a great place to stay if you like diving. They took our gear when we checked in and had it waiting on the boat for us for our diving each day. We felt so spoiled that we didnt have to rinse and hang our gear every night. East end diving was awesome! Makes it hard to dive in California again. We look forward to coming back soon!

1 Thank seanzd
Kyle, TX
Reviewed 4 December 2009

We were very happy with our choice to stay at Compass Point. We were able to walk to the pier for our dives, and loved being away from the traffic. A drive into town took about 30 minutes, but the scenery is wonderful. We drove to Rum Point a few times, and that drive was not bad at all. The restaurants in the area were phenominal. I don't think we had a bad meal out! We also liked the fact we could cook in for some meals. This definitely saved us money. We found the place we will stay every time we go to the Caymans!

Ontario
Reviewed 21 November 2009

Stayed 12 days, dived for 11 of those days.
Great personal service from everyone in the operation (accommodations and diving).
Room was clean, fabulous view from patio (ocean front).
Dive operation was very efficient, everyone we observed was hard working, conscientious, and customer oriented.
No restaurant on site but several located nearby (Miss Arlene's, Miss Vivine's, Portofino's, Over the Edge Cafe).
Microwave, stove/oven, fridge, coffee maker, toaster in the kitchen.
We bought groceries (Hurley's, Fosters/Fosters Express) and cooked in more often than we ate out (can be expensive, depending on where you go).
Enjoyed the quiet and relaxed atmosphere of the East End, diving was great.

1 Thank TortugaRumCake
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#1 of 1 in East End
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Compass Point Dive Resort? Share your experiences!