“Worst dinner on st Martin”
Review of Captain Oliver's

Captain Oliver's
Ranked #14 of 17 Restaurants in Oyster Pond
Cuisines: Seafood, Caribbean
Good for: Child-friendly, View, Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Captain Oliver's
“Worst dinner on st Martin”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Cons- We came to this restaurant because it was close to where we were staying and it has a nice view. It was off season (November) so it was pretty quiet. Food was expensive and not fresh, and we had a rude french frog of a waiter. My wife order a goat cheese salad, and it seemed like he didn't understand her, so she pointed to it on the menu, he said "oh ok" and wrote it down. He then brought out the wrong salad and when we told him, he had a major atttitude and said "you should have double checked when you ordered it". He brought us the new one, along with my Chilean seabass that was fishy, and the size of a snickers bar (but expensive). I also ordered a French onion soup that was extremely thick like they added flour or cornstarch to it. The drinks were undoubtedly weak.
Pros-the parrot outside says "thank you" when you tell him he's cute.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Toronto, Canada
“Hidden Gem "felt like I had my own personal chef at the restaurant"”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Captain Oliver's is probably very easy to drive by as it is located alongside the marina with stunning views overlooking the ocean and yatch. Some friends and I went there for lunch. Upon entering we were greeted by Maggie the owner...what a wonderful, courteous and outgoing person she is.
Ok so I have to tell you that you will definitely have a hard time deciding what to order. There are so many dishes to choose from. But the best part of it all is you can custom make your own meal. You can choose your own pasta and sauces for both your meat, seafood and the pasta dishes.
And to top it off even mix your side orders. I recommend you to experience this as I did. The feeling was like having my own personal chef at the restaurant. I had shrimps with saffron sauce served with baked cauliflower ad tomatoes...the spices, herbs and special ingredients were
favourable and the food was absolutely delicious and filling. Not only was the food delicious, but the presentation was great. If anyone can get it right, it certainly is the people at Captain Oliver's.
I will be visiting St. Maarten quite often in the next year and Captain Oliver's will certainly be my #1 restaurant to satisfy my hunger. I highly recommend Captain Oliver's and will certainly take my friends and family there again.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Overpriced Poor Quality Restaurant”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Just paid over $80 for two dinner that weren't fit to eat. Fish was overcooked, without taste, tough - like a Red Lobster. Salad was not edible (if that's possible) - the dressing was pure balsamic vinegar! And the salads didn't make it to the table until the dinners showed up and there were just two tables of patrons in the entire restaurant. Nothing was edible at all. the side dishes were awful. I informed the owner of our dissatisfaction and she offered a free dessert! I should not have been made to pay such exorbitant prices for food that was not able to eat. Terrible experience. Wouldn't go back at all.

3 Thank PLeven56
Breckenridge, Colorado
“The best atmosphere on the island!”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Captain Oliver's got our vote for the most romantic atmosphere of the restaurants we visited while we were on St. Maarten. We were staying in Oyster Pond so it was conveniently located in relation to our hotel. It is just over the border on the French side of the island.
The menu had a lot of variety and the waiter was able to steer us toward the type of fish prepared to the best advantage and also the sauces that might be best with our selection. The food was excellent and a good value.
This is a great place for a romantic dinner.

Tampa, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Super”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Last year Sept. 2012 the restaurant was not opened in off season-were we disappointed! This year the Buffet was not opened until Nov.2 and we were still there. To say we were excited is an understatement. The restaurant, the food, the personnel are just great. Ambiance, not much better anywhere. To sit on the water looking at the Marina and the surrounding area-Dutch&French side,the mountains, the Ocean nearby how much better does it get. Every year when we go to the wonderful island of St.Maarten we must dine to complete our vacation.
The menu has slightly changed only in the sense of customizing your request. From the sushi to the salads to the carving table to the breads to the rest of the seafood and the great desserts and for reasonable price with nice entertainment we can not wait to next year. Maggi is fun to talk to and would do everything in her power to make it unforgettable!