“Good but not great”

Description: Captain Oliver's
Montreal, Canada
“Good but not great”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We had dinner at Captain Oliver's restaurant. I knew that this was the low season but nonetheless they only had 3 tables with open menus while we were there. The food is good but not more. The spot is great, witting RIGHT on the marina but I was not impressed.

• Visited July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Greenland, New Hampshire
“Meals at Captain Oliver's Restaurant”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We are return customers!

My wife and I had several meals at Captain Oliver's during our ten day stay this month. The food is consistently good. All of the servers have great personalities. We would like to recognize Donette for her great sense of humor and Hubert for his friendly demeanor! Sincerely, Chris & Jane

Visited July 2014
Corona, California
“In the marina with great food”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Even though it was a little warm and humid when we went, the atmosphere was so nice and relaxing and the food was incredible! Great bar area out at the far end looking out the ocean entrance to the marina.

Visited June 2014
St. Maarten-St. Martin
“Not the right way to treat regular clients...”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed at Oyster Pond for a week. We were staying at the hotel Captain Oliver that is NOT connected to the Restaurant Captain Oliver.

We were cautious about the place, cosy tables and music; we thought it may be a tourist trap. At first the food really captivated us: French cuisine, and believe me, just judging by my belly and eating-out budget, I can assure you that I know what I'm talking about. I have lived in France or close to France for 45 years and am a gourmet and a decent cook myself.

Notwithstanding the quality of the food, we were annoyed that they served starters and main courses at the same time. Result, you gobble down your starter while the main course gets cold...

We first met a friendly waiter and a charming waitress and soon we became regulars. The owner offered us a free drink, which was then charged to us, we took it as just being a clumsy mistake.

Our habit was to have drink in the lounge and then move to our table. I had already noticed that a few waiters were less friendly but could not imagine what was to follow.

As we moved past a waiter to get to our table, he asked us "Have you paid your bill?” When we told him that we were to have a meal there, he insisted without given the reason instead of apologizing and that would be that.

Once at our table (the same one where we had had lunch and dinner for the last 5 days and he knew so!), I told him not to worry, because we were honest and reputable guests (one evening we had an issue paying by card and turned up promptly the next day to pay our debt as soon as possible. To which he replied "Sir, you are really going too far!”

My habit in restaurants is to take my money where I want, we paid for the drinks and left, despite desperate efforts by the maitre d'hôtel to retain us by offering us a free meal and physically barring the way out; I plainly told him that I was not for sale, I have enough money to honestly pay for my meals and if I complain, it’s never to get a free meal.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Dlbert
San Diego, California
“Saturday Night Buffet Dinner”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

At $40 per person, this buffet needed to be good, and it was. The salads were impressive and plentiful, as were the smoked meats and fish. The meat course had carving board beef, lamb, turkey, mussels and fish. The desserts were not fabulous, but were still pretty darned good.

Captain Olivers is on a marina at Oyster Pond and the setting is romantic. The singer was quite good, specializing in American tunes. The open air (but covered roof) restaurant let the breezes blow through.

We enjoyed ourselves and were impressed with the variety of the food and the spectacular setting.

• Visited May 2014