“The best restaurant on this side of the Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Canoa

Canoa
Ranked #4 of 17 Restaurants in Oyster Pond
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, View, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
new york
“The best restaurant on this side of the Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

If you are staying in this area, there really aren't many restaurant options. You really have to go to the French side for good food. But since we were staying in this remote area, we were so relieved to find Canoa. We are spoiled New Yorkers, and tend to be very critical since restaurants are a way of life in NY. We dined at Canoa once just my husband and I, but then brought our 2 kids and babysitter back a second time in our one week stay in St. Maarten. Great salads. Great fish. Everything is prepared beautifully. The chefs pay attention to detail. I had the grilled grouper. Excellent. My husband and I were able to order their tropical salad, greek salad, and wedge salads between the two nights we dined, and they were all amazing. I really wished they were open for lunch for this reason. I wanted great salads with fresh fish for lunch. Could not find it anywhere in this area. It's all chicken and ribs and heavy caesar salads. When I'm on the ocean, I want fresh fish. There is also this other odd thing happening in this part of the island: Italian food everywhere--really really really bad italian food on every menu. Who wants eggplant parm in the Carribean? Canoa sticks to local fare with a NY flair. I tried the plantain appetizer that everyone raves about.
The only negative statement I'll make (because I would eat here every day of my vacation), is that this app tried too hard. There was a lot going on in this dish between sweet plantains, tangy tomato sauce, salty parmasan cheese, and heavy ground beef. It was so heavy, I was glad I was only having a salad with mahi mahi as my main course (which was perfect). We ate at neighboring restaurants which charged the same as Canoa, but were highly disappointing. Service wise--a little slow. This is not coming from people demanding everything in a new york minute either. Both times I ordered Chardonnay, and both times it was forgotten. The wait staff (although lovely and friendly) are not the most organized. In New York, great restaurants are ALWAYS on top of what you are drinking--eager to get you wine/liquor since these are huge money makers for a restaurant. I was begging for a second glass of chardonnay both visits. I guess you just really have to give in to the whole laid back carribean culture. Eat here. You will not be disappointed!

Oyster Pond, St. Maarten-St. Martin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, awesome service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

We looked on trip advisor to see if there were any reviews..... And the reviews were good.... So we went there, and now I'm righting my own review.... When we got there they sat us down next to the restaurant. We ordered are food, I got chicken. For the dessert I got a molten lava cake, with choclate syrup in it... It was delicious! My mom is gluten - free ( she can't eat wheat ) she had to get the snapper last night, with a sauce the chef made special, for her, wich was very kind. They have great service there waiters and waitresses are very nice too! We had the best meal so far on are vacation, we had to move inside because it rained thoe..... ... The check came in a brown box, with candy canes inside! For your family! This is a family fun time dinner place. So if you want a time were you all can bond, choose this place! I highly recommend this restaurant!

Charlottetown, Canada
“They did it again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

Well when I think about my last review I am amazed. We retuned the first week of November and was I ever impressed. Sherman has hired a new classy lady to be the hostess and Sariai goes the extra mile. The staff, right from the kitchen on down, are shown that they are working with Sherman not just for him. We dined there 4 of our 7 nights in SXM. In my last review I talked about how great the steak was but was I in for a surprise. Sarai and Kim (one of the servers) convinced me to try the blacken snapper. I never knew anything other than steak could impress me. I added a side of shrimp with it and what a meal. Looking forward to going back in the near future. For the best drinks in SXM, Allie is a great bar tender and if you get a chance to chat with Gus, you will be impressed.

1 Thank 966Doc
Sherwood Park, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

We ate here on our last night in St.Maarten. The meals were hot and sooooo good! The wait staff were very friendly and helpful, we totally recommend Canoa!

Wisconsin
“Amazing food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

The food at Canoa is some the very best I've had. Beautiful plating, lots of flavor, simply amazing food. Though everyone is extremely friendly, the service is very slow. After you order your food, get comfortable because both nights our group ate here, we waited an hour to an hour and a half for our food after it was ordered. For us though, it was worth the wait when we finally received our meal. The bartender Ali was top notch!! Ask for a shot of his banana rum, delicious!