“3rd stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Oyster Pond
Eagan, MN
“3rd stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

We've stayed on 2 previous occassions. This time (10/6 - 10/13) we were able to get and ocean view (3rd floor). The view is fine but a bit boring. Nice breezes off the ocean etc. However, if we go back for a 4th visit, we'll ask for a bay view again.

Only a few glitches - first off we had a festation of very small ants on the kitchen counter. We called the front desk and the gal merely said "Use Flit". After a thorough cleaning of the counter with soap and water and a little elbow grease, the problem resolved itself. Apparently the maids where too busy to or in too much of a hurry to clean up after the pervious guests. I suspect someone made some sweet, fruity drinks with the blender and slopped a little on the counter.

Second problem - and this was much more aggrivating. I had a special DVD I'd taken on vacation to view but to my dismay the cable from the DVD player to the TV was totally shot. I called down to the desk on Sunday morning and was assured "Somebody will be there to check on it" but no one ever showed up. Monday I went down to the desk and was again assured someone would check on it. Sill no action. Tuesday I again complained about the situation and this time a maintenance person did show up. This fellow looked at the frayed end of the HDMI connection and the look on his face told me immediately he didn't have a clue - it was almost comical. I knew right away that the extent of his knowledge was to check and make sure things were plugged into the power outlet. He said he'd return to fix the cable. On returning from the beach a few hours later I surprised that the cable was no longer hanging down. "Oh boy" I thought "Now I can watch my DVD. But my hopes were dashed when I checked behind the TV and sure enought the maintainance guy only shoved it up where it wouldn't be seen. I've posted a few pictures here on tripadvisor.

Other than that we had a fine time at Dawn Beach (although there was a bid of sea weed) and made a trip to Orient Beach as well. For me the highlight was the sunrise on Monday morning. Picture also posted here.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MrZ100MN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

Arrived at 9:30pm on Friday. Explained we hadn't eaten but wanted to check in and clean up before dinner. However, since the main restaurant was already closed we were told to rush to their beach bar if we wanted any service. Limited menu items even at 10pm at a "resort" so went back to check in. Room assigned smelled and the a/c was broken so went back to front desk and was told they were now closed so no room change could be made and we should contact a specific person in morning. Horrible night with smell, heat and humidity which a/c could have helped take care of. Next morning the person did not show for work at 9am but told no one else could handle room change. Finally arrived at 2pm so our day was wasted. Told new room had been cleaned but when escorted to room discovered water all over floor since patio doors had been left open during storm. 2nd room was clean so took it but when we tried a/c it to did not work. About an hour later maintenance finally came and put nre batteries in remote to make it work. Due to Rafael storm, it was necessary to stay in room a lot but TV was broken. Reported it at 4:30pm and called back 2 times before they came to fix at 9:30pm....5 hours later. The negative reports on many sites had given us some concerns about this hotel we were obtained through Interval International. We should have listened to them and chosen a different hotel in St Maarten. Worst hotel on a beautiful island.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Travellers1970
Long Island,NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

We had a great trip to St. Maarten once again, with most of our time spent at OBBR. The weather Saturday thru Monday was iffy due to a tropical storm, but that didn't stop us from having a great time. David and Edith at the bar are fantastic, especially on Sunday with the football crowd in the rain! The pool guys, Yohan and Vic are right there to set you up when the sun comes out. The front desk, activities folks, even our room service from Chandell was fantastic. Our two bedroom suite overlooking the pool and the ocean was outstanding. The pool renovations were completed on time, and we even met the young guys who did the work and bought them a drink! We met new friends, and hope to keep them... all in all it was a great vacation, and what makes it great are the people you meet both working at the resort and staying at the resort! See you all next year!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank JimMcC58
St. Thomas, USVI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

We upgraded from a studio to 1 bedroom and were so glad we did! The unit was renovated with tropical blue greens and white trim, very sharp and well done. Very comfortable living room with 50" flat screen T.V., used it a lot as we were there during tropical storm Rafael, which lasted nearly 4 days! Housekeeping was fabulous, replacing towels and tidying up and making the bed daily.

1 Thank Shreks_Mom
Nyack, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

My friends and I stayed at OBBR on August 19-25, 2012. This was a time share exchange through Interval International. I reserved a two bedroom room. When we first arrived, check in was easy and quick. The hotel bell boys took us to our room, and to my dismay, it was not the renovated room I had requested. It was one of the ocean front, pool front rooms which were not yet renovated. The view was excellent, but the apartment itself was very shabby and old. I immediately called the front desk and requested a room change. I had to wait until the next day. When I called in the morning about the room change, they sent over a bell boy to show me another room to see if it was satisfactory to me. The new room was a one bedroom with a studio lockoff with no view. It was completely renovated and beautiful and not having a view did not bother me. The apartment looked like the blue rooms on the website and I was happy about that.
The bell boy moved all our belongings to the new room, and all was lovely after that.

Now the resort: PARTIES: It was a lot of fun as the resort held welcoming parties with free sample drinks, live music, dancing, appetizers. It was fun. Also every day they have happy hour with 2 for 1 drinks and half price appetizers and 25 cent beers. The resort had another party for the guests on another day with free drinks, free food, live music, raffles, live dancers, singers. It was just womderful to have events on premises on several nights.

FOOD: We did not eat at the Infinity Restaurant on premises, but we did partake of appetizers regularly and lunch at the pool, all of which were very good. I highly recommend Big Fish located at the entrance of the resort for dinner as it is a beautifully decorated, upscale type, restaurant with excellent food. There is a small grocery store on premises with a variety of basics. OBBR offers to shop for you before you arrive, but it is not worth the extra expense. Just go to the store on site.

ACTIVITIES: OBBR offers all kinds of activities, group beach days, excursions, etc. But rent a car for a few days and visit around the island. Maho area is especially modern and has a big city feel. Each area has its own flavor, so exploring is good. Be sure to get a GPS as signs are few and far between. Also note that in Grand Case some people only speak French.

OBBR is fun, the pool is excellent, the service is great, butif you get a lousy unrenovated room, just ask for a change and they will give it to you. Most of the resort is already renovated. I had visited OBBR 8 years ago, and the improvements they have made really makes the resort a pleasurable place to vacation.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Dreamy733
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 13th year anniversary at OBBR. From the moment of arrival to departure we were in awe. I did some research of the resort before arriving and, everything was what I expected and hoped for. The staff at OBBR were very friendly and helpful. The resort in itself is beautiful and very well taken care of. The activities desk kept us updated on the weekly events and also called to remind us. The food and drinks were very good and, Infinity resturant had a breakfast buffet in the mornings.I have recommend this resort to many friends and will continue to do so.

1 Thank Nikita B
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

I went to the resort with 5 friends and we had the best time. The accomodations have been recently updated. The staff were always pleasant and helpful. We called twice for small issues and maintenance was there within 15 minutes. The staff was also continuously cleaning up the seaweed on the beach to keep it clean for everyone. Awesome food and drinks!!! I highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,179 reviews

Been to Oyster Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!