My boyfriend and I stayed here for 6 nights July-August 2014. It was our first trip to St. Maarten.
We had booked an ocean view room, which is what we received. We were pleasantly surprised with the small kitchen in the room. The view was magnificent! We were towards the end of the hotel (by Beau Beau's) so we had a view of the ocean and the beach. The balcony was great, but the sliding door was a bit sticky sometimes. One complaint I do have about the room is that our smoke alarm went off twice while we were there. We think it was caused by the room next door because we could hear their alarm a split second before ours went off. I called the front desk to let them know it alarmed, but all the person said was "well it might just be sensitive, we will have maintenance check it." I never saw anyone come to check it.
The beach is just ok. The hotel only has a few chairs reserved so you have to get there early. There is a lot of seaweed on the beach, but the water is nice.
We spent most of our time at the pool. There are a lot of chairs and umbrellas which is nice with the hot Caribbean sun. You can order drinks and food while at the pool, but with the ocean breeze things do tend to blow over if you aren't careful.
Towels are provided in your room for the beach/pool and are replaced daily when the room is cleaned.
We paid for WiFi while we were there, but the connection was terrible. I think we wasted our money with that. I would think that if you have to pay for the service, it should at least be reliable. I heard many guests complaining about the WiFi while in the common areas.
A tropical storm came through while we were there. Being someone who does not live in an area where these storms are common, I called the front desk to ask if we needed to do anything with the furniture on the balcony. The man asked me if I thought it was going to blow away. I don't know, that is why I am calling you! I thought it was a bit strange that there was no information provided to the guests regarding the storm coming through. Granted, it was just a small storm, but still, for those of us who are not accustomed to tropical storms, we see them as a big deal.
There are daily activities at the hotel which are nice, but seem to be more geared to the older crowd or families.
We did not have a car while on the island so we had to rely on taxi service if we wanted to go anywhere, but it worked fine for us.
Overall, we felt we got a good value for our money. I think we would consider staying there again if we were to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just south of the amicable French/Dutch divide, Oyster Bay Beach Resort awaits. Perched on a coral reef overlooking the Caribbean ocean and Oyster Pond Marina is paradise found. With breathtaking ocean views, white sand beach and countless amenities Oyster Bay Beach Resort and its sister properties, Mainsail, Spinnaker and the Lighthouse serve as your escape from the every day. Find adventure, serenity and the fullness of life at our island resort. Make Oyster Bay your next stop. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, HotelsClick, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com and TravelUp so you can book your Oyster Bay Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oyster Bay Beach Hotel Oyster Pond
- Oyster Bay Beach Philipsburg