“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oyster Bay Beach Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Oyster Pond
New York City, New York
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 6 nights July-August 2014. It was our first trip to St. Maarten.

We had booked an ocean view room, which is what we received. We were pleasantly surprised with the small kitchen in the room. The view was magnificent! We were towards the end of the hotel (by Beau Beau's) so we had a view of the ocean and the beach. The balcony was great, but the sliding door was a bit sticky sometimes. One complaint I do have about the room is that our smoke alarm went off twice while we were there. We think it was caused by the room next door because we could hear their alarm a split second before ours went off. I called the front desk to let them know it alarmed, but all the person said was "well it might just be sensitive, we will have maintenance check it." I never saw anyone come to check it.

The beach is just ok. The hotel only has a few chairs reserved so you have to get there early. There is a lot of seaweed on the beach, but the water is nice.

We spent most of our time at the pool. There are a lot of chairs and umbrellas which is nice with the hot Caribbean sun. You can order drinks and food while at the pool, but with the ocean breeze things do tend to blow over if you aren't careful.

Towels are provided in your room for the beach/pool and are replaced daily when the room is cleaned.

We paid for WiFi while we were there, but the connection was terrible. I think we wasted our money with that. I would think that if you have to pay for the service, it should at least be reliable. I heard many guests complaining about the WiFi while in the common areas.

A tropical storm came through while we were there. Being someone who does not live in an area where these storms are common, I called the front desk to ask if we needed to do anything with the furniture on the balcony. The man asked me if I thought it was going to blow away. I don't know, that is why I am calling you! I thought it was a bit strange that there was no information provided to the guests regarding the storm coming through. Granted, it was just a small storm, but still, for those of us who are not accustomed to tropical storms, we see them as a big deal.

There are daily activities at the hotel which are nice, but seem to be more geared to the older crowd or families.

We did not have a car while on the island so we had to rely on taxi service if we wanted to go anywhere, but it worked fine for us.

Overall, we felt we got a good value for our money. I think we would consider staying there again if we were to return.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

The Lees.
This was our first time to the island and our first time staying at Oyster Bay Beach Resort.
I have to agree with some the other comments. It was one the best vacations we have had. Just
thinking about it makes me and my husband want to return today. I miss the island,the people we met ,the food and the place we stayed that we now call home. So join us we plan to return to Oyster Bay Beach resort July 2015 Good Willing and spend some island time at our new home.

Room Tip: We liked the rooms on the marina side for the view of the ships
      Sleep Quality
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

I just returned from a 1-week stay at this resort. Despite the mixed reviews, I'm pleased to share that I did not experience any negative about this resort. From the moment I checked in and until I checked out, the workers were very friendly and were very prompt in responding to my request or issue I reported. The room was spacious, clean and well appointed. The timeshare salespeople did not harassed me or any other guests. In fact, I did not attend a timeshare presentation and was not bothered or continually called as others have reported. And best of all, you get daily cleaning of the unit including washing your dishes! I do not get this even in 5 star resorts that I own.

If not for the location / condition of the beach and condition of the furniture, I would have rated this resort with 5 stars. The beach was small, full of sea weeds and a few minutes walk from the resort. The beach is part of of Dawn Beach but you have to climb over rocks to get to the other side (Westin side) of the beach which is much nicer. Also, though the 1BR unit I had seems newly remodeled, the sofa and couch were a bit dated.

I highly recommend a visit to Orient Beach (much bigger and nicer) in the French side of the island, or even a day trip to St Barths or Anguilla where the beaches are much nicer. My family was unanimous that Meads Bay or Shoal Bay in Anguilla are the best best beach, followed by and St Jean or Grand Saline beach in St Barth, depending on your taste,

Room Tip: Definitely request an ocean front room!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Farmington, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

What can I say more then that. The room was an efficiency and it had everything we needed. The resort was fun with daily activities and nice bars and restaurants. We would gladly go back and am looking forward to doing so.

3 Thank Danny S
Stockton, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the resort for 2 weeks and loved it. We exchanged points and were thrilled to get an ocean front room. The restaurants were wonderful and there were several either on property on very close by.

Most evenings they had entertainment which we so enjoyed especially the wine and guava berry tastings. They were very generous.

Probably the down side was the timeshare pressure. The manager was very rude and pushy. Much more than we have experienced in the past at other places. We own 8 weeks so we dont need to be convinced of its merit. We will probably return one day but hope to have someone else to meet with. Who knows we might be interested.

The staff varied in their friendliness but most were very nice. The maid did a great job with our room bit we did tip.

Overall we loved St Maarten. Be sure to go on Cpt Allens excursion. So good we did it twice.

• Stayed June 2014
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I don't write reviews but after reading a few negative ones before I left I have to write how great a week we had. We (my husband and his parents) arrived late to the resort because of flight delays and getting lost in the no-so- good part of Phillipsburg for an hour. We were welcomed with champagne and a bottle of wine! We had already paid and upgraded our unit before we arrived, everything was set. We stayed in room 2332, above Beau Beau's. I know some people complained about the noise but we actually liked the free entertainment from our balcony! Keep in mind, it get's dark on the island early too but, the entertainment only went until 10pm. Needless to say we had a great ocean front view and we didn't have to worry about bugs the whole week (I heard the harbor side does because there isn't as much of a breeze).

So, some complaints are that some staff seemed annoyed. Well, almost everyone was friendly if you are friendly to them! Yes a few workers came off annoyed but they are also on island time, as Americans we demand everything at once, they are much more laid back so keep that in mind. Also, if you were working in hot weather catering to people all day long there might be seconds where you get annoyed too!

The hotel was smart I think with their updating in the units. Yes, this is not a new hotel and there is some wear and tear but nothing extreme! Yes, I have been to "nicer" resorts as my family owns Marriott timeshares but I have also been to much crapper resorts than this! I also had a better week here than at the Marriot in St. Kitts! The one thing I recommend is the beds and pillows are horribly uncomfortable but, I have a tempurpedic at home so I might a bit spoiled. Also, I wished they would just have a towel return at the pool/beach... it was annoying to carry back a soaking dirty towel... but then I guess that I'm just nit picking :)

As far as location this resort is great if you want to relax. It is walking distance from the grocery store where you can reserve super yummy croissants for the morning! There are also several awesome restaurants right near the hotel and across the harbor. We rented a car for the week and explored the island and did the hotel beach party which was a lot of fun! I also recommend the Sunday bus tour through the resort! EXECELLENT time and food!!!! The beach at the hotel is great - a little bit of seaweed but not too bad- can't beat free snorkeling.

OVERALL, the resort was great... it's what you make out of it. Yes, the pool deck was a bit slip but a lot are... I went barefoot and was fine. Keep in mind... some of these reviews must be written by old people who own timeshares and nit pick about everything. You will always find something to nit pick about at any resort if you really want to.

The timeshare talk was worth it for us- free breakfast and 1/2 off the beach party. Again, I have the excuse that my family owns several Marriott's timeshares and I reap all the benefits of a platinum status through Interval... no need for me to buy :) So, they didn't really waste time trying to convince us but they are sales people so expect them to be pushy!

Overall, we had a blast! Wish we won the drawing for a free week because we would return!

Room Tip: Try to get ocean side... we had no problem with mosquitos because of the breeze! but if not the groc...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank lauren p
Casselberry, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the resort. After taking a $50 cab ride from the airport, we were concerned about how the resort would look. We drove through neighborhoods that were more than a bit scary to get to the resort. It didn't help that the cab driver kept telling us how bad it is to live on the island and to be careful in certain areas. He even told us that the islanders don't tend to go after tourists, they go after eachother, but an occasional tourist might get involved. What?? I was ready to go home after that statement.
The resort was very pretty and the view of the ocean was refreshing.
Our room was on the 3rd floor. I am thankful that my husband and I are in good shape, there wasn't an elevator and no one offered to help us with our bags. I am not sure how someone that is elderly with large bags could have gotten up the stairs. One morning the maintenance man came to our door because the maid had reported a leak in our air conditioner. He wiped up the condensation and told us to call another maintenance man if it leaked again. He didn't want to fix it. We noticed the same attitude with many of the employees. My husband and I watched an employee paint the same railing over four days. When the manager came around he would paint, as soon as he left the employee would take a nap in the hallway in the building across our room.
We rented a car for $115 a week. The island is very easy to get around. We watched airplanes as they landed, ate in local restaurants and discovered Orient beach. That is a fun beach for those who aren't afraid to show a bit of skin. We did not encounter any problems while on the island, but we were very cautious and did not venture out too much after dark.
The staff is very attentive when they know you are tipping, when the tips aren't given as freely, the service declines. I would love to say that we had a wonderful time and plan on going again, but I can't. The cleanest place and friendliest place we experienced was at the resort and that left a lot to be desired.
We experienced beautiful sun rises and sun sets, got beautiful pictures, found some great prices at an outdoor market and enjoyed our time together. That was the best part of the vacation.

Room Tip: For view of the ocean request an upper level room, but be aware there aren't elevators. You wi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,179 reviews

Been to Oyster Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!