“Do not stay in the old apartments; Expect to pay $20 extra if you want a plug for the bath!”

Lantern Court Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Reefton
Scotland and New Zealand
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Despite their web site boasting spa baths, only 2 of our 6 units had one, but then there were no plugs. We were told we had to pay an extra $20 when we asked for one!! Not sure if that was per bath or per night. No warning of this when i booked or when I confirmed the booking. Sandra (? the manager) blamed this on the office worker "I dont understand what she does" (NB: Does Sandra really think that no-one blocks the plughole with soap and a face towel?????)
I did book another 2 single rooms the morning before our arrival and was quoted $85 and $95, which I accepted.That became $85 and $130 when we arrived that afternoon. Despite my protests all that Sandra would say was "I am here to make money, not friends" She blamed the error on her husband.
On no account stay in the older rooms. They are terrible, something you might expect to pay a couple of dollars a night for in a third world country. Dowdy, dismal and dreary. The new units are fresh and lots of money has been spent on them but badly conceived, for instance our double bedded room had large windows on 2 sides and the bed "head" (there wasnt one) was against one of these windows, both of which opened onto a public thoroughfare. The curtains, when drawn dangled on your face when in bed!! Good linen on the beds, and the whole new unit was clean. The old unit was too dowdy to judge if it was clean or not!
There were no wardrobes, or so we thought, but they were hidden in the wall behind the bedroom door. it was only when we went to bed and shut the door that we found them. There was JUST enough room to walk around our bed. No drawer space to put anything away for our 3 day stay. There were only 2 bed lights for 4 possible inhabitants. Our toilet opened onto a public space and had no curtain for privacy.
I stupidly left my mobile phone behind and Sandra would only send it once I had paid cash to her as she wouldn't trust my promise that I would refund the postage.
The outside is a most attractive building, even the modern extension at the rear is well designed in the same style.
Staying is a real Faulty Towers experience. The worst sort of hospitality. The Scottish Tourist Board would have a field day. Dont they have the equivalent here in NZ?

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank alhcookboy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Suffolk UK
Reviewed 26 January 2010

Before we booked this I telephoned the owner. She was quite clear that the "traditional" apartments were very basic and the newer and more expensive apartments had all the mod cons. We plumped for the traditional as it appealed to us to stay in a motel that looked like a Wild West saloon, with an old style veranda, in what is actually an old gold mining town. It was also the cheapest motel that we stayed in during our 4 week tour of NZ. I was expecting a bedroom, a 2 ring hob and fridge as a kitchen and probably a shared bathroom. Entry to our apartment was through a sliding door which you secured on the inside with a bolt (remember basic?). We were greeted by a large kitchen which included a full oven (no dishwasher as far as I can remember) and then our bedroom with a Queen sized bed. Both old in style but all very clean. Then we discovered the lounge. This was large, had two extra single beds inset into the wall, and this room led out to the large shared veranda. All the furniture seemed pretty old but was comfortable. There was also a satellite TV system (not Sky). The bathroom, which thankfully was not a shared one, looked rather antiquated and I was resigned to the fact that the shower wouldn't produce much in the morning. I shouldn't have worried. It produced a real blast of hot water. The entire apartment was the size of a reasonable sized hotel suite and all for NZD 85. It may not be pretty but it's highly functional and clean. We never had any regrets booking it and we had also looked at a motel complex just down the road at the same price. After walking through the grounds of that complex we are so glad we booked the Lantern.
There is a supermarket within 2 minutes walk but if you don't want to cook, there are restaurants just up the road. The motel is on Broadway which is Reefton's main street.

Would we stay at the Lantern again? We might choose the newer apartments next time but it wouldn't bother us if we stayed in the traditional ones again. Great value.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WilliamPayer
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2009

Reefton is a rather quaint former mining town with some of the old buildings still standing. The Lantern Court Motel with its veranda looks the part, including the new block in which we stayed in a very nice corner first floor room. The room was spacious & well equipped including a kitchenette. Couldn't fault it. ( I can't comment, however, on the much cheaper old rooms.)
There is a nice short trail by the river behind the motel.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple