“abscent manager?”

Nitro City Panama Action Sports Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Punta Chame
“abscent manager?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

It is the third time that we visit NitroCity but it seems that every time we get there is getting worse and worse. This time, I did not only got my room 2 hours late but it also was a filthy one with penuts and a plastic bag under the coffe table, a bathroom with a lot of hair in the shower and dirty sticky tables, etc. Finally, the administration changed our room one hour late. Another BIG disappointment while we were there was that the pool water was green and the administration said that it happened because there were too many people the week before. So of course we could not used any of the 2 days we stayed there. Food was not good but Nitrocity does not get its reputation for it´s restaurant, but if at least you a have a clean pool and a clean hotel room you could let that go. I really hope they can fix these administration issues before it is too late to save their business. We booked 4 rooms for 4 couples and we were so dissapointed that, I do not think we´re coming back anytime soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Camilla T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

A great concept going down the drain due to poor management and shady business practices.
Many activities were not available or broken, no hot water for the entirety of the stay, most room doors were kicked in and broken due to vandalism, given smaller room initially than paid for, all hot tubs have been removed (don't believe the pictures), and I was double charged to boot. Management also refuses to fix double billing problems.

Room issues
We first arrive to find noone to help you with anything bags, showing you to your room, tell you about the property, and no help at all. We were like no problem we can handle this ourselves. So we trod across the property. We paid for a champion suite and got placed in a standard room. We were like no big deal. Then we notice the door had been kicked in with the security latch bent off and the wooden door's wood cracked in half and held together by metal flashing. We then were able to open the bridge in between the adjoining room and simply walk into someone elses suite. This just wouldn't work we had to ask for another room. We get issued another room and no hot tub was in the room (which we payed for) and the door on the this room was also smashed in as well. We ask for a third room with a hot tub. We get to our third room, and it does have a hot tub but it doesn't work. This room also had the door smashed in with the security latch bent off the door only held together by metal flashing. The wood on the door was literally split from top to bottom. The sliding glass door to the outside of the room also had a broken latch because it had been pried open. It also could not be secured or the door completely closed. We also tried to hit the pool, but it was not available for two of the four days due to cleaning. We were like okay we are not going to let this ruin our vacation. Also most people at this hotel do not speak any English so you will need to know spanish to even order food at the restaurant, but we were fine with that as well. The menu online is also not the food selection that was there. It is a much smaller selection.

Management and additional room issues
We later met the owner Hayes which was very nice. We also met the manager which only seemed to care about the motocross and water park activities. He treated the place more like a hangout that really managing it. This included partying all night with his friends, getting drunk, and singing all night outside the rooms. This didn't bother us too much as it was a party hotel but it did seemed kind of out of place since he was a manager. We retired that night to a room that had no hot water or functional hot tube. It had no hot water for the entire multi day stay.

Shady Business Practices
The next day talking to the owner he acknowledged the issues with the hotel and asked for a good review but asked that we didn't criticise the broken stuff because they were working on it. We were going to overlook the issues and write a good review because he was very nice. We then started trying to do some of the advertised activities. We wanted to do Hybroboarding as advertised. Nope that was only for marketing they really don't have it. Jetpacks you guessed it nope. They were broken. Any type of wind surfing or anything like that involved a kit wasn't available as they were not in season. So, we decided to do jet skies. You had to book it at the front desk and start your time. You are charged from that time till you get to the guy at the water. He then has to pull the jet ski out of the garage, trailer it into the water, and get you prepped to ride. Once you are done with the ride, you have to walk back to the signin counter. All this in between time, you are billed for. You are not just billed for your ride time. I was still okay and was not going to write a terrible review.

Double Billing and Refusal to Resolve the Issue
The straw that broke the camel's back was I was double charged for my room by the hotel Nitro City. I booked the room through Hotels.com and prepaid. I also gave them a copy of that reservation. At checkout, they said they needed my credit card again. I told them it was prepaid. They lied to me and said they called hotels.com directly, and Hotels.com had not charged me. This was not true as I later found out. I was like okay, but got the managers number and contact information should I have any issues just as he told me to do before I left. He seemed nice enough when I met him. Later I found out I had indeed been double billed by Nitro City. Once through Hotels.com and a second time through Nitro City. Hotels.com has tried multiple times to work with the Nitro City with no luck. They won't answer their phone calls and when they do they say that Hotels.com will have to call back later and deal with the manager at a differnent time. I have tried contacting Hayes the manager/owner, and he says he will take care of it but nothing happens. He now will now not return e-mails. This dispute has not been resolved to date. This place had a great concept but has let the hotel run into the ground. Don't believe the pictures! Most of the memorabilia is no longer in the rooms. You also do not feel secure as all the doors have been busted open, and you are worried about your stuff getting stolen. All the hot tubs have also been yanked out and replaced with flowers in the old holes that used to be a hot tub on the deck. I guess that's what happens when you have ex-extreme sports guys with no hotel management experience trying to run a place like this. Sorry for the bad review Hayes, but this is simply unacceptable and bad business practices. Shame on you and you should be embarrassed as a professional and a business owner. The four other hotels that I stayed at while in country I had no issues, and I certainly was not double charged.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank 512ATX_George_R

Travellers are raving about these Punta Chame hotels

Pisa, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Loud music during the day, not possible to relax in the pool. I went to eat at the restaurant and was disappointed. Much better the french lady near. She is good.
Nitro city is good if you are 18 and want to get deunk at 10am.
Food ia no good. For the price you expect better.

The people who work there simple ignore you except when you need to pay.
Stay away

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank pianostefano
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I loved my stay at Nitro City.. I went with a friend and stayed a weekend.. When I travel the food is super important and a huge part of my experience.. I really loved how fun and creative the menu was. I had the ceviche was so yummy and loved the tuna tartar.. the sushi burger was super original and yummy..
Our room was beautiful with view to the ocean the pool was big and clean..
Punta Chame beach is long and was a wonderful place to go for a long walk every morning. I came back in better shape than I left. Best part is I had the opportunity to see people kite surfing on my morning walk which added entertainment. I was not as adventurous to take a kite surfing class but I did try the wake boarding and although I ate a lot of salt water enjoyed the work out.

Next time I am bringing my dog.. I learned while i was there that it is a dog friendly hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SimoneMaduro
Panama City, Panama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Nitrocity is about an hour and a half drive from Panama City. I have to admit that Inhad high expectations of the place.
It does offer a wide menu of activities. We went with 4 kids ages 10-12. They choose the paintball ($16 special for 100 pellets) and the cable park/wakeboard lake ($25 per person for an hour, groups of 6 so you do 2 rides per person).
They have four wheel, skate park (you rent the skateboard), jetpack (like a jetboard but in a backpack propelled with water, $150 for 30 minutes), kite surf (which looks really cool but did not tried it) and a bunch of other activities (you pay for most of them).
They have babysitting for $5 per hour in a play area.
Threy had a really good music band in the pool. Since you can pay for a day pass, and it was during Easter, the place was pretty full and there were no chairs available.
Day passes are $30 per adult and half of that for children. It only includes the admission,
There were a couple of families with their dog.
The rooms look OK (not great).
The food was absolutely terrible. I mean really really bad. For $18 for a burger I expected an amazing burger and it was almost uneatable. The kids pizza was uncooked and the wraps were ok.
I will suggest for you to bring a cooler with snacks/food/drinks (coolers are allowed) instead of eating at the hotel restaurant!
They offer kite surfing camps which I think it is a great option if you want to learn to kitesurf.
If you go with a group with the intention of doing the sports activities, I am sure that you will have a fun time.
If you are going for the beach, there are many other better options in Panama.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Texas City, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Never seen a hotel do this before, took my 100% payment for 2 rooms in January then cancelled our reservation 2 days before we were to arrive. No explanation, no apologies, no rooms....

we called the reservation number and basically were told too bad, no rooms, and then the women hung up on us.

WE had to spend 4 hours on a Saturday afternoon looking for another hotel to check into on Monday during USA Spring Break holidays. They could care less about pre paid customers

Room Tip: why bother if they can just cancel your reservation anytime Justin Beiber wants to escape the US &am...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank RS336699
Croydon, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

I had the most amazing time in Nitro City. If you like to be surrounded by smiles, perfect weather good food and just a atmosphere that dispels nothing but joy to you and yours then this the perfect place. I spent a week there with a group of friends and it was jam packed with many activities from wakeboarding, paddle surfing, skateboarding, swimming, dirt biking along with so much more and that was only during the daytime, we spent nights by the bar with members of staff that after few conversations they instantly become family. ill never forget this, Thank You NitroCity

Room Tip: just flip a coin, you cannot lose.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Hotel Punta Chame Villas
#3 of 4 in Punta Chame
BlueBay Coronado Golf & Beach Resort
Dreams Delight Playa Bonita Panama

Been to Nitro City Panama Action Sports Resort? Share your experiences!