“Day trip action with kids”

Nitro City Panama Action Sports Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Punta Chame
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Nitro City is an all inclusive resort so if you are not staying at the property, prepare to pay a daily fee. Weekdays are half off and the resort is usually empty. Draw back is that during the week some of the activities are not available so call in advance if you are looking for something specific. We went with 5 kids and 4 adults and had a blast. The wakeboarding is no big deal in a man made salt water lake but it was extremely fun for the kids. Batman and Christian were excellent hosts. We then rented 3 ATVs and with low tide we were able to enjoy them extensively and went very far. The food is nothing to rave about but it calms the hunger pains. We will return on our next visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank walshlizzie

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Upon my wife and my arrival to Nitro City looking over the beach and property we were very excited. We prepaid for two nights at Nitro City, arriving on Friday afternoon and planning to stay till Sunday. the check in process was very laid back. When we got to our room were again pleasantly surprised. The room was large, with a large king size bed, modem bathroom and a great view to the beach from a private balcony. The a/c worked great. But when we went to use the bathroom there was no water. The phone in the room was dead so we had to report this personally to the "Front Desk". We were assured that the problem with the water would be resolved before we returned to our room from dinner. At dinner, considering the nature of the hotel the menu was scarce of healthy choices. More like a bar or pub menu. But the kicker is that when we ordered our selections the response was "no hay". The most illogical thing is that Panama means "abundance of fish" the Pacific Ocean is only 20 yards away, and there is a fishing village only 1000 meters down the beach where you can see the fishing boats docked, but the restaurant does not have fresh fish! Finally we were able to get something decent that they actually had. When we returned to our room late at night we were surprised and incensed to see that there still was no water. In addition to not having water, there was no internet connectivity in our room. We managed to sleep and first thing in the morning we went to the manager to advise once again about the inexcusable conditions. I was told by the manager that she would change our rooms and assured me that the other rooms had water. Before I agreed to the room change I requested to inspect the room. In the afternoon I was taken to view the intended room along with the manager. Upon entry we can tell that the room hadn't be cleaned. Then we went to another room and that room had not be inspected or reviewed in what must have been months since there was an infestation of termites and ants. The manager then suggested a suite. We went to the suite and I asked the manager to test the water in the bathroom. And to her embarrassment, there was no water. I demanded a refund and told her tha we cannot stay another night. The manager behaved properly and agreed to a full refund in cash. I left it with the manager to let me know when the hotel will be up to par so I could return.

Room Tip: Demand to be in the first set of rooms, #100's. DO NOT ACCEPT #400'S!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ldfalco
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Everything is highly over priced and customer service is non-existent.
Rented (2) 4wheelers for 1 hr. Total cost with tax: $193.00 ( $80.00 charge for me, $100.00 charge for my two nephews, $80.00 +$20.00.., the last charge was for the second nephew to ride on the back. )

*while riding one of the ATVS broke down if that wasn't bad enough*
*Bought 3 Red Bulls..., regular 8oz cans..., Total cost: $13.50*
*Their menu of activities is good, but get ready to shell out big bucks * example...Rent their motocross bikes, they run at $100 bucks an hr. Not worth it.
Customer service..., what a joke! Epic fail!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank TimeTravelerClub
NitroCity, General Manager at Nitro City Panama Action Sports Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear James:

Sorry to hear your opinion over our Price list and services.

ACTIVITIES: We work our prices to be competitive in the market. There are many other Hotels in the Area and we stand very close with them. Apart from that we manage 2 tracks for motocross. I hope you understand it is a non cheap sport.

Red Bull is never cheap and you will find places that probably will charge over 15 bucks for 3 cans. Even that, is your decision to buy it or not.

Beside that, we hope you have enjoyed your stay with us. That's our main goal and we will take your comments to improve our operation.

Kind Regards.

Ariel Restivo

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I went to Nitro City for a weekend specially to do wake boarding.. It was my first time and we had a blast !!

The staff and instructors are so patience and professional that my friends and I finally learn after hours of classes.

Manuel, Daddy and Amilis did a great job .. They made us feel confident that we ca do it and their service and devotion to their guests is amaizing!

The beach area has kilometers of white sand with any houses or people around .. The perfect spot just to relax!!

I simply love it !!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 9 June 2014

It is the third time that we visit NitroCity but it seems that every time we get there is getting worse and worse. This time, I did not only got my room 2 hours late but it also was a filthy one with penuts and a plastic bag under the coffe table, a bathroom with a lot of hair in the shower and dirty sticky tables, etc. Finally, the administration changed our room one hour late. Another BIG disappointment while we were there was that the pool water was green and the administration said that it happened because there were too many people the week before. So of course we could not used any of the 2 days we stayed there. Food was not good but Nitrocity does not get its reputation for it´s restaurant, but if at least you a have a clean pool and a clean hotel room you could let that go. I really hope they can fix these administration issues before it is too late to save their business. We booked 4 rooms for 4 couples and we were so dissapointed that, I do not think we´re coming back anytime soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Camilla T
Reviewed 9 June 2014

A great concept going down the drain due to poor management and shady business practices.
Many activities were not available or broken, no hot water for the entirety of the stay, most room doors were kicked in and broken due to vandalism, given smaller room initially than paid for, all hot tubs have been removed (don't believe the pictures), and I was double charged to boot. Management also refuses to fix double billing problems.

Room issues
We first arrive to find noone to help you with anything bags, showing you to your room, tell you about the property, and no help at all. We were like no problem we can handle this ourselves. So we trod across the property. We paid for a champion suite and got placed in a standard room. We were like no big deal. Then we notice the door had been kicked in with the security latch bent off and the wooden door's wood cracked in half and held together by metal flashing. We then were able to open the bridge in between the adjoining room and simply walk into someone elses suite. This just wouldn't work we had to ask for another room. We get issued another room and no hot tub was in the room (which we payed for) and the door on the this room was also smashed in as well. We ask for a third room with a hot tub. We get to our third room, and it does have a hot tub but it doesn't work. This room also had the door smashed in with the security latch bent off the door only held together by metal flashing. The wood on the door was literally split from top to bottom. The sliding glass door to the outside of the room also had a broken latch because it had been pried open. It also could not be secured or the door completely closed. We also tried to hit the pool, but it was not available for two of the four days due to cleaning. We were like okay we are not going to let this ruin our vacation. Also most people at this hotel do not speak any English so you will need to know spanish to even order food at the restaurant, but we were fine with that as well. The menu online is also not the food selection that was there. It is a much smaller selection.

Management and additional room issues
We later met the owner Hayes which was very nice. We also met the manager which only seemed to care about the motocross and water park activities. He treated the place more like a hangout that really managing it. This included partying all night with his friends, getting drunk, and singing all night outside the rooms. This didn't bother us too much as it was a party hotel but it did seemed kind of out of place since he was a manager. We retired that night to a room that had no hot water or functional hot tube. It had no hot water for the entire multi day stay.

Shady Business Practices
The next day talking to the owner he acknowledged the issues with the hotel and asked for a good review but asked that we didn't criticise the broken stuff because they were working on it. We were going to overlook the issues and write a good review because he was very nice. We then started trying to do some of the advertised activities. We wanted to do Hybroboarding as advertised. Nope that was only for marketing they really don't have it. Jetpacks you guessed it nope. They were broken. Any type of wind surfing or anything like that involved a kit wasn't available as they were not in season. So, we decided to do jet skies. You had to book it at the front desk and start your time. You are charged from that time till you get to the guy at the water. He then has to pull the jet ski out of the garage, trailer it into the water, and get you prepped to ride. Once you are done with the ride, you have to walk back to the signin counter. All this in between time, you are billed for. You are not just billed for your ride time. I was still okay and was not going to write a terrible review.

Double Billing and Refusal to Resolve the Issue
The straw that broke the camel's back was I was double charged for my room by the hotel Nitro City. I booked the room through Hotels.com and prepaid. I also gave them a copy of that reservation. At checkout, they said they needed my credit card again. I told them it was prepaid. They lied to me and said they called hotels.com directly, and Hotels.com had not charged me. This was not true as I later found out. I was like okay, but got the managers number and contact information should I have any issues just as he told me to do before I left. He seemed nice enough when I met him. Later I found out I had indeed been double billed by Nitro City. Once through Hotels.com and a second time through Nitro City. Hotels.com has tried multiple times to work with the Nitro City with no luck. They won't answer their phone calls and when they do they say that Hotels.com will have to call back later and deal with the manager at a differnent time. I have tried contacting Hayes the manager/owner, and he says he will take care of it but nothing happens. He now will now not return e-mails. This dispute has not been resolved to date. This place had a great concept but has let the hotel run into the ground. Don't believe the pictures! Most of the memorabilia is no longer in the rooms. You also do not feel secure as all the doors have been busted open, and you are worried about your stuff getting stolen. All the hot tubs have also been yanked out and replaced with flowers in the old holes that used to be a hot tub on the deck. I guess that's what happens when you have ex-extreme sports guys with no hotel management experience trying to run a place like this. Sorry for the bad review Hayes, but this is simply unacceptable and bad business practices. Shame on you and you should be embarrassed as a professional and a business owner. The four other hotels that I stayed at while in country I had no issues, and I certainly was not double charged.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank 512ATX_George_R
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Loud music during the day, not possible to relax in the pool. I went to eat at the restaurant and was disappointed. Much better the french lady near. She is good.
Nitro city is good if you are 18 and want to get deunk at 10am.
Food ia no good. For the price you expect better.

The people who work there simple ignore you except when you need to pay.
Stay away

Bay View Hotel
Bay View Hotel
#2 of 2 in San Carlos
BlueBay Coronado Golf & Beach Resort

Been to Nitro City Panama Action Sports Resort? Share your experiences!