“Surprisingly Good”

Neighbourhood: Santa Croce
Florida
“Surprisingly Good”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I have had average meals in Venice which is not known for quality and price. Scouted this place the night before and noted the special mushroom pasta. Asked if they would have tomorrow. Said they would make for us. We were recognized and each couple shared the mushroom pasta (lots of mushrooms and very tasty), fried calamari and a half liter of house red wine. I have to say the meal and wine were great and the best I have had in Venice. I am surprised by the negative reviews.

• Visited October 2013

Yaounde
“the ducal doge of dodgy”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

First restaurant in Venice after many in Italy. The service was friendly and bubbly but very busy. The food was average, chicken stew and fried pork. The chicken stew was tasty but the pork needed something. We ordered a carafe of house white which seemed watered down. We then sent the wine back and ordered a glass of house red which did not arrive. At this point we left to pay the bill which included the original house white, we stated that I did not drink the wine so it was removed from the bill. The menu at the front stated no cover charge but was charged anyway as we had sent the wine back. We argued that we had ordered more wine but it did not arrive, the owner/manager became quite upset with us and proceeded to tell us that if we wanted good wine we should have ordered a bottle off the menu and not the house wine.....

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Marticulate
Yaounde, Cameroon
“bad introduction to venice insult to Italians”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Wow where do I start. I should have had a look at this restaurant on trip advisor before stepping out to dine on my first night in venice. I looked on the door of restaurant and title above menu was no cover charge. Good and well ventured in. The owner (bald man with a frown so we found out on leaving) was quite unfriendly from the start. (should have left then) Staff were friendly enough . We requested the house wine and two meals. Food was very average and house white wine was something you would imagine came from a sewer or a canal. I requested the carafe of white be sent back and be given a taste of the red. The house red was quite ok. I proceeded to ask the waitress for two glasses of the red. Long after we ate our meal , still no red arrived. The girls looked a little busy. We decided to depart and pay our bill.
On leaving, we explained to the owner that we did not drink the carafe of white which was sent back . I didnt even get to the point of explaining about requesting the red and he proceeded to give us a lecture in a loud voice about if we wanted to drink good wine then we shouldn't have ordered the house white. Cover charge was added to our bill. this man is rude and an insult to the lovely city of venice. Sham on him.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Jilly881
New York City, New York
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Our gondolier recommended this place, but we were not impressed. The main owner was unfriendly from the start, although the two young ladies waiting the tables were nice enough. Food was fine, not outstanding and not awful.

The main con for this restaurant came when my husband, who speaks Italian, asked for a glass of wine (I made it clear that I was not drinking and didn't want any wine); the owner proceeded to bring out the bottle saying (in Italian) that we can just take it with us. We noticed at the end we were charged 25 Euros for that bottle, which is clearly not what we wanted.

Additionally, despite the sticker on the door saying the establishment accepts Visa, Mastercard etc, three of our credit cards did not work for some reason. The owner was (a little too) quick to point us in the direction of the nearest ATM. Given that our credit cards had worked earlier in the day (and also later that evening), leads me to believe that he was one of those business owners trying to avoid the transaction fees with credit cards (this happened to us once more with a similarly sketchy restaurateur).

Overall a bit a disappointing feeling about the experience in all.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank Gemini_AM
Berkeley, California, United States
“Great little restaurant across from the train station”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We were looking for a little restaurant that took pride in its work and found it! Trattoria Marciana is just down a side street across from the train station, they make their own pasta, big portions, everything is fresh including the waitress who lives near Pantalon, and she gave me a free profiterole dessert when my wife ordered it so I wouldn't feel alone. Total cost for the meal was 55 Euros. For those who always feel like they are getting ripped off, a welcome respite.

• Visited June 2013