“amazing Venice tour”
Review of L'altra Venezia

L'altra Venezia
Ranked #10 of 201 Tours in City of Venice
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour operator specialized in unconventional tours in Venice.Our proposals are organized into:- Walking Tours: a) by area (off the beaten track of the mass of tourists); b) thematic (Music in Venice, History of the Venetian cuisine, Photography Tour, Theatrical tours, Venetian Craftsmen, Contemporary Art, Woman in Venice: the painters); c) classic (Doge's Palace, Basilica of San Marco and other important churches and museums)- Boat Tours: a) Tour along the Venice's canals; b) Lagoon tours; c) Ecology-tours by boat with electric motor; d) Murano exclusive; e) Gondola bollicine- Gourmet experiences: a) Dinners in private homes; b) Venetian cooking class; c) Bacaro Tour; d) Wine tasting- Activities: a) Venetian rowing lesson b) Shopping tour- Accommodations: three different kind of apartments
London, United Kingdom
“amazing Venice tour”
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I'd love to share my fantastic experience in Venice three weeks ago.
I was with a couple of friends mine and my sweetie daughter.
We do like it because Venice is quite nice but the hided history of this city is just amazing.
We enjoyed it with a quite tall and friendly italian guide. He 's name is Walter.
For sure we will visit Venice again because there is a lot of more thing to discover.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Micheal s

• Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Great City and Great Guide”
Reviewed 23 June 2012

In Venice we booked a walking tour with L'altra Venezia. What a great experience! The tour was fabulous and informative. Walter was full of facts and knowledge, and he is genuinely warm and enthusiastic about his city.
We thoroughly enjoyed our tour with Walter and I would recommend seeing the city with L'altra Venezia.

Visited May 2012
Tega Cay, SC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Not sure what happened, but our tours were way off track from these reviews”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I decided on this tour company based on the Tripadvisor reviews. I emailed Walter and he responded in English. I explained to him that our group was traveling to Venice, three of the group first timers, and he and I came to the conclusion that we would have a walking tour of main sights on Sunday morning and a boat canal tour in the afternoon. I questioned the fact we were touring on Sunday morning and what about St Marks being closed for mass. He seemed to think that would not be a problem by his response, so I just went along with him, based on the excellent experiences I have had with tours in many parts of Italy.
He did not take us on the morning tour himself, he sent another guide who was hard to understand, and did a very poor tour. I have been on another one before in Venice and this guy did not seem to know half the stuff he should have been telling us about and really only led us around without going into any other sites except a small church and the museum at the top of St Marks. I was feeling very disappointed at this point, but thought the canal tour would be great and quickly forgot about my feeling let down.
After lunch, Walter had suggested a canal tour in a boat based on our emails. I thought that we would be taken around the main sights and Grand Canal. I had not seen Venice from the water in this capacity. The first thing he told us when we met him was "I do not speak English." Unfortunately, I do not speak Italian and neither did my companions. I should have just called it off right there, but I thought, surely he knows enough English to point out the sights we are going to.
He and his friend take us to a crappy small wooden boat where they proceeded to row us in silence around the back canals and Venice home areas. We never crossed the Grand Canal or went to the main parts of Venice where the gondeliers go. I am thinking you need a permit perhaps to do this and apparently they do not have one. We asked to get something to drink after an hour out in the boat in the sun, since he did not take us anything, and we then suggested that he use the motor on the boat so we could actually make time and see something. We never did.
A major disappointment. I have never had a bad tour during many visits to Italy, but we definitely felt ripped off with the money we had paid.
No, we did not complain, the ever polite Southerners that we are, we sat through it all without complaints. But please make sure you do not take this tour unless you speak Italian and do not take the boat tour. I do not think he had ever given one before that day.

Visited June 2012
5 Thank LMillerWelborn
walterom, Owner at L'altra Venezia, responded to this review, 27 October 2012
I thought long and hard before writing this response. I read your review and I was astonished. I cannot understand the reason for your words, as in front of me you said different things.
I try to reply point by point:
- Andrea (your guide in the morning) is highly respected among colleagues and between travel agencies, and has never happened that someone complained about him, you are the first one. No one ever before had complained about his English, you are the first.
- Andrea brought you to visit a church that is a little gem, in order to do you a favour, not to take you to see the same old stereotype things of Venice, stuff for tourists. But if you wanted to see the usual things for tourists, you would have had to ask directly to him (I asked him to show you both something classic and not too touristy because you told me that some of you had already been to Venice, and some don't).
- I not at all said that I do not speak English, I said that my English is a "basic" English.
- I never said that the boat tour included a ride on the Grand Canal. We designed our boat tour just to show our customers the real authentic Venice, to see those channels that normally most people ignore. You can see the Grand Canal simply by taking the "vaporetto" (public boat). And what's more, in the Grand Canal there is always a traffic jam, and I assure you that there is nothing funny in going by boat on the Grand Canal.
- I never said that the boat tour included a guide that explained what you see, no one do it, even the gondoliers, who at least shoot up some invented things just for tourists (anyone here in Venice can witness it).
- The boat, which you call "crappy", is a traditional Venetian boat. Our aim is to make our customers live the authentic way of living on the water in Venice and not the fake and sleek way built for the tourists (who are duped every day)
- Then, I do not understand why you say that we have not given you something to drink, on the contrary when you asked us to stop for a drink, we stopped immediately and brought you in a bar
- The intended route for our tour is that one, to use the engine or not, did not change the route
- It is curious that you say that you felt ripped off, maybe you do not know that a gondola ride costs 100 € per hour and an hour taxi ride costs 150 €
In short, it seems like you do not have appreciated our effort to show you a real Venice, more authentic and not stereotyped; actually if it were that kind of experience you were looking for, we are not the right one. But if you are looking for a beach and then you go to the mountain, then you cannot denigrate the mountain.
Thank you.
Puerto Vallarta
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If there is only one tour that you can make do not miss his one!”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

In November 2011 Walter Fano took us on his walking tour and showed us the intimate Venice that escapes to the vast majority of tourists.

There was not one question that he could not answer and somehow Walter had access to many buildings that were restricted to the common tourists.

Walter has a passion for Venice that it is contagious. He is very proud of his city and with his good sense of humor he explained many interesting facts. He had a surprise for us in the most unsuspected places.

If there is only one tour that you can make do not miss his one!
Walter is the best codega that we have ever come across!

JL H.
Air Adventures, Mexico.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank JL H
Milan, Italy
“Amazing time...”
Reviewed 23 December 2011

I was in Venice this December with my friend. I am son happy that we decided to ask Walter for an excirsion. During 2 hours we were with fasination girl - Chiara, who brought us arpund old parts of Venice! We were extremly glad to see real Venice and perts of teh city which are hidden from the most of the tourists!
It was a great experience! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

Visited December 2011