“Heli Camping Multi Day Rafting Trip”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ecorafting - Day Tours
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Ross
More attraction details
Owner description: Booking booth located at the Fox and Franz Heli services building on the main road in Franz Josef Glacier.
Pottsville, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Heli Camping Multi Day Rafting Trip”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Myself, my husband & 5 teenagers did this trip together just before Xmas, it was a fantastic trip ! Unspoilt natural NZ scenery, great guides (Josh, Chris,Luke and Taylor) The rafting was exceptional and there was so much food, we especially loved "lunch from the bucket" and our Kiwi Bushman Josh whipped us up a chocolate pudding on the campfire.
I highly recommend booking this trip with Josh- Ecorafting.. :)

Visited December 2013
2 Thank lizzard2013

Morgan Hill, California
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Fabulous Day of Rafting with Josh and Chris!”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My wife and I went rafting with Josh and Chris on the Whataroa River November 20. We couldn't have had a more fun day. First you start with a helicopter ride to the launch point, then the rafting begins.

Instruction we received at the beginning was very helpful. Josh went out of his way to explain what we should anticipate and what to do when "things happen." Josh is extremely safety conscious and protective of his passengers. There were two sets of rapids that we "portaged" because Josh felt they were not safe at the water level of the day. After we got past them we could see the safety issues and it definitely made sense to skip them.

We went through a series of easy to medium rapids and a number of more difficult ones. Josh was extremely good at directing us in what to do and clearly indicating the actions we needed to take.

We did roll the raft once and another time three of the four of us (including me) fell out. But that just made the day more fun and added to the experience! Taking a leisurely calm boat ride might be nice at Disneyland but we came expecting some adventure-and we got it! Even during these times in the water, Josh safely directed everyone in what to do and we all go back no worse for the wear but with lots of stories to tell!

We were also very impressed with the personalities of both Josh and Chris. Extremely friendly, knowledgeable nice guys.

We were supposed to start around 10am but got started a bit late. However, Josh never rushed us and took his time, including a stop for lunch and a small bonfire.

If we get back to New Zealand in the future, we will definitely plan a 2-3 day trip with Josh.

We also did the Shotover River trip in Queenstown which was nice but this trip was way more exciting.

The other couple on the raft with us was a really nice couple from Nebraska, probably in their 30s. My wife and I are in our 60s. So just about any age can enjoy this trip and we highly recommend it!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Brian B
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely fantastic adventure”
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

went on a 2 day heli rafting trip down the mokihinui, with out a doubt it's the best thing I did in my 4 years in nz an I had a lot of amazing adventures down their. Josh and the guides were a great bunch, good fun and loving the adventure themselves. 2 days rafting through magical untouched nz forest with no sign of humans to be seen, a ride in a chopper, superb rafting through some huge rapids and between some massive boulders, camp out in the bush with great banter around the fire at night. A proper world class adventure that you would struggle to get anywhere else but the beautiful west coast NZ. Wish I could do again, this time with my fly rod.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Fraser C
London
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Lovely trip with an amazing guide”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We were both a bit apprehensive about going rafting so we booked the river float. We met Josh at an agreed location and were spirited away to a remote location. They did a great job as there was not much water flowing at the time but still managed to find somewhere suitable for us. Our guide was really great, very understanding and patient with us and we had a really nice time floating down the river and enjoying the view. Although there was not much water we still enjoyed some rapids to get the heart going! Our guide was very informative and easy going so we enjoyed having a chat and being expertly guided in what to do and when. We were met lower down the river by Josh and provided with some gourmet sandwiches for lunch which was a nice touch. It was a really great trip handled by a small local company and I would highly recommend anyone looking for a gentle float or a more exciting rafting adventure to try these guys out for a more friendly, local experience.

Visited March 2013
joshua m, Owner at Ecorafting - Day Tours, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Hi Navin, thanks for the review and the video clips you guys sent us from your camera, I hope you enjoyed the video clips we sent you as well. Thanks again for supporting our small family business.

Josh and Kristen
Krakow, Poland
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Me and my wife decided to go for the heli rafting on Whataroa river after watching promo movies and reading reviews here and at rankers.co.nz.

In general most of the positive feedback was true. What we liked:
+ While emailing with Josh and his wife I was able to agree on all terms and they provided me with some useful information;
+ trip started with short but long enough helicopter flight;
+ scenery of the rafting is stunning, sometimes I wished we could just stop and observe gorge and nature around us;
+ extra activities - jumping from a cliff, jumping into waterfall;
+ quite unorthodox lunch;
+ Some thrilling moments on the way down the river;
+ Josh makes you feel like you were taking part in an adventure
+ There were only 4 of us plus Josh in the raft
+ Some cool photos of us wee taken during the trip. Unfortunately see below.

What we found not so nice:
- organizational minor and major mess ups - we were charged more then initially agreed (this was sorted out later), asked to provide same information several times, after weeks of inquiries I learned that photos from our trip were erased, etc.
- Due to low level of water we needed to skip some of the "highlight" rapids - this was for our own safety, which is great but if would be good knowing before the trip that many rapids may need to be omitted. I wouldn't have felt a bit disappointed afterwards;
- Water was really cold - if you don't like that you should think twice of taking this trip. My wife fell into the water and she had some health issues afterwards. I jumped into it on purpose and for me it was bearable;
- If you're expecting your guide to give many instructions and to pay a great deal of attention to you - Josh is not the person. He does enough to keep everyone safe and reasonably comfortable, nothing more. For me this was an advantage, for my wife the opposite;
- Meeting point is place where one gets eaten by Sand Flies. Even insect repellents weren't able to protect us from them. I strongly recommend to stop and change next to the main road before taking the turn towards the helicopter pod.

To wrap it up, small things changed the trip into not so awesome experience. If it hadn't been so expensive I would add another star.

Visited March 2013
joshua m, Manager at Ecorafting - Day Tours, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
Hi Piotr,

In regards to your review,

REPLY - The photo's from your trip (which were free) were not erased, they are still there on facebook for you to view. Here is the link again

- Due to low level of water we needed to skip some of the "highlight" rapids - this was for our own safety, which is great but if would be good knowing before the trip that many rapids may need to be omitted. I wouldn't have felt a bit disappointed afterwards.
REPLY The trip has 2 rapids that we always portage because they are to dangerous to raft.

REPLY, Your wife was very skinny and prone to the cold, we offered several times to give her a change of dry thermals that we always carry with us and she refused until she was extremely cold. We also provided her with gloves, wetsuit, drytop and diving boots. It is not often that we are cold but occasionally we have a cold windy day and some people are very susceptible to cold.

- If you're expecting your guide to give many instructions and to pay a great deal of attention to you - Josh is not the person. He does enough to keep everyone safe and reasonably comfortable, nothing more. For me this was an advantage, for my wife the opposite.
I think there was a communication problem possibly as we have never had this problem before and I bend over backwards to entertain my clients.

REPLY In NZ, where there is water there are sandflies, they are the reason our rivers are chrystal clear as the sandfly larvae eat the algae. Some days they are very bad and some days not.

You were only charged $400 for the trip, this is a very low price. Our competition charge $550 and $625 respectively and they also charge for photos on top of that.

You got an awesome deal for a great day out, if you did not want to get wet maybe choose a river with a lower grading. I feel that your wife was probably a bit nervous all day and maybe she would have benefited from an easier river that was not so challenging. Please remember it was a great day, we all had an awesome time (even your wife after a while) and the price was very reasonable. Helicopter flight, full days rafting, canyoning, lunch and free photo's.

Drop us a line next time your in NZ and we will take you on a free trip on a river that is not so challenging and will be more suitable for you.

Cheers!