“"A pleasant lunchtime session"”
Review of Derby Lodge

Derby Lodge
Ranked #8 of 13 Restaurants in Huyton
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Teulada
“"A pleasant lunchtime session"”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Arranged to meet an old friend at the Derby Lodge for lunch today. Everything lived up to expectations, friendly staff, good food and a reasonably priced drinkablw wine. The only downside was the real ale. Of the two advertised, Doom was not available and the Summer was cloudy and too cold. If you're going to sell it, get it right!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank thecoldstreamer

“Awful”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Do not go here if it is for food. Took my mum for a birthday lunch and sat in the garden as it was sunny. Ordered a sharing platter to start and a burger each for our main. All the food arrived at once and when we explained that we wanted our sharing platter to start we was told "you are not in a restaurant - this is how your food is served in the garden" we asked the member of staff to take the burgers back to the kitchen and bring us a refund or fresh ones when we had ate our starter.30+ minutes later the same burgers were brought back to us - we asked the staff member if they was the same burgers to which he replied yes - and thought this was completely normal. We asked again for fresh ones and 5 minutes he arrived holding the same plates saying "sorry when I said these weren't fresh, they are" he was lying to us - there was nothing fresh about them. After explaining ourselves to another two staff members we finally got fresh meals but by this time we did not even want them. Attitude out of the manager was no better - was not interested inthe poor service and attitude we had received. Waste of £50 don't waste your money or time!!!!!

• Visited August 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Could be so much more, truly terrible! ”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Had a family birthday meal here and have to say it's the worst food I've eaten in years. Probably since the late 80s have I had to endure such slop, solely reliant on dissolved taste buds and tomato sauce! DO NOT GO HERE IF ITS FOR FOOD! Staff OK but seem used to disappointed customers. The real shame is the venue itself is quite spectacular and could be so much more, why they peddle the lowest type of food is beyond me!

Alton, United Kingdom
“Always reliable”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We have been to Derby Lodge on several occasions for lunch and find it very welcoming. There is a good choice of food with reasonable prices and the staff are always helpful and friendly.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Margaret B
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“A really decent place lte down by poor customer service”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

It's a Premier Inn with a pub-cum-restaurant area. In my opinion, it's a lovely renovated sandstone building off a main road in a quite affluent area of Huyton. First impressions are excellent - plenty of car parking, nicely decorated interior, gentle background music and a good atmosphere with a respectable, relaxed clientele. On the face of it, somewhere I'd want to go and would recommend to friends from outside the area if they wanted to stay in the suburbs rather than in the city centre itself. Although I didn't see the hotel part, I would imagine that it would be very quiet at night (so a good night's sleep) and it is very handy for public transport into Liverpool and also for Cheshire.

Sorry to say, the customer service was a real let down. When I got to the bar, there was one young man serving (and doing his best). Bizarrely, at the end of the bar, there were three other members of staff engaged in a personal conversation that was easily overheard. I'm not sure the subject matter was suitable for a public area either. On at least two occasions, staff walked along the length of the bar seemingly oblivious to the fact that there were customers waiting to be served. So, 25% of the available staff serving, 75% ignoring customers and "doing their own thing".

Worse to come (well, to me anyway). A customer asked if there were any real ales to be had. To be fair, the same young man asked if he would like to try a sample. At this time there was only the gentleman and I at the bar. A young lady came to the bar and immediately the member of staff asked her what she would like. There is no doubt that he knew I was standing there and, given the fact that no other staff seemed to be on duty, there is no way he could have thought that I was being served. I admit I made my displeasure known but he served the lady and made me wait. No apology, no acknowledgement of the fact that he chose to serve somebody ahead of me.

I know this seems trivial but, two drinks (pint of Stella and a large glass of wine) come to a shade under ten quid - I'm not sure I want to be snubbed in this way whilst waiting patiently to get served not do I want to see staff more interested in their own conversations rather than doing their job.

Sorry to be so negative because this isn't a bad pub to go to, it is somewhere to have a relaxed chat in very pleasant surroundings but, in this day and age, I want half decent service when parting with my hard earned cash, not to be ignored.

• Visited July 2014