“Excellent restaurant!”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Ondangwa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ondangwa
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We didn't stay at the hotel, but we ate at the restaurant a couple times. Nice, clean facilities; good food. Like most anywhere in Africa though, plan on a wait. If you're able to plan ahead and put in your order ahead of time though, this works better. Not perfect, just better. That's OK; you're on African time. If you're American, that's good, because it forces you to slow down. Once you adjust to the time it takes from the time you order until your food arrives, you'll be pleased. Protea serves good food, has a variety on the menu (off-site, you can choose from chicken or chicken), and prices are reasonable. Can't vouch for the alcoholic drinks, but for nonalcoholic drinks, try the rock shandy. Best I've ever had. As to the menu -- the pizzas were awesome.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank afwings

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Sure, this is the top rated place to stay in Ondangwa, but this is probably because there is no competition. This is a very average establishment. While the rooms are clean enough (although the curtains in my room were a bit threadbare) the experience is not complemented by the supporting services. When phoning to enquire about the location of the hotel the receptionist was unable to assist. Meals in the restaurant are not up to scratch and the wines cost more than the listed prices because someone has not updated the prices in the winelist. However, the breakfast buffet is up to Protea Hotel standard!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Decidedly average. Room large and simple. A/c labored but OK. Bathroom adaquate but the shower drain was plugged and drain cap off. Poor internet. Dining was good for dinner. Average breakfast. Staff nice enough but could use some smiling and greeting lessons. Overall, nothing wonderful and nothing terrible. Average.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Wayne L, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Ondangwa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

I refer to the review for your stay here with us. We wish to assure you that your feedback about your service experience at Protea Hotel Ondangwa is viewed in a serious light.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that was caused to you during your stay. Your experience of the service delivery overall most certainly does not reflect the high standard that Protea Hotel Ondangwa is usually proud to offer. I confirm therefore that your concerns have been addressed and that corrective action is being taken to rectify the shortcomings. I am pleased to let you know that our WIFI has been fixed and is now very fast and available throughout the hotel.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure whether or not we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS' expectations. We need to know when we have done right, but more importantly, when we have done wrong! Your feedback has therefore been truly invaluable to us. Should you require any further assistance from our side, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

King regards,

Singabantu Moyo

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Very pleasant atmosphere - room tidy - reception awesome - price good for what you get - food good but do have a problem with the steaks - you never get what you ask for - always rare - further than that - will always stay there when going up north.

Room Tip: Upper rooms on the eastern side are quieter
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alwyn B
Reviewed 17 December 2013

The moment I just entered the Hotel, waiters and waitresses came up to me and pulled out a chair for me to sit and immediately gave me a menu, which was done with in a short time.

The hotel seam to be small, but the moment I get inside everything have changed, since I felt I was in the PARADISE...

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I always stay here when visiting Ondangwa.
I try to rather stay in Oshakati or Ongwediva when possible, but sometimes i have to stay in Ondangwa becouse of the distance to the sites.
During my last visit (4 days ago), i was disapointed again. The staff is friendly but not well trained (or so it seems).
The rooms are clean but the air-conditioners are mostly not working and if working, then they are very loud!!

The steak i had for lunch was old. The french fries were ok.
My dinner was chicken cordon bleu. It tasted nice, but was half cooked!
(At least they had ice for the drinks wich you shouldn't take for granted in this hotel).
I am not fussy at all, but for the price asked this is not acceptable.

On departure i had the problem, as always, with the invoice.
The staff should have been trained to do VAT invoice (spell company name in full,put P.O.Box on the invoice etc.), but clearly are not!
It always takes a minimum of 20-30 min to check out and have the correct VAT invoice.

During my last stay they did not grant me the "air namibia discount" (this is 50% so in my case N$ 400).
When asking why i did not receive the discount, the receptionist said my company booked for me and in this case the discount will not be granted.
When i said it was me who booked, she said i should have presented my bording pass when i booked in a day before.
I told here that this is what i did. She even made a photo copy of my boarding pass.
She just looked at me and said it is not possible to give me the discount becouse the invoice has been done already!

I later found out, that i was not the only one not receiving the discount!!!

I hope this is not a scam!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank G F
Wayne L, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Ondangwa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to gives us feed back of your recent stay at Protea Hotel Ondangwa.

Meeting and exceeding GUESTS' expectations can only be achieved through efficient and friendly, personalised service. Your comments, together with the others we receive, are being analysed and will be instrumental in helping us to maintain and improve, where necessary, our standards of service and facilities.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any disappointment you experienced as a result of the poor quality meal you received as well as the frustration in acquiring the Air Namibia discount. Your feedback certainly does not reflect the high standard of service that we at Protea Hotel Ondangwa are usually proud to offer. We confirm therefore that your comments have been addressed and action has been taken to rectify the problem areas.

We hope that you will be staying with us again soon. We should welcome another opportunity to show you Protea Hospitality at its best, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Singabantu Moyo

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Spent a night there in November 2012 whilst in town on Business. Found this to be a clean, neat and well run establishment with decent facilities. The restaurant food was good and the rooms decent. A decent place for the business traveller.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Ondangwa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear SATraveller031

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

We are proud to be able to offer business and leisure travellers a comfortable and clean place to stay during their travels. The TEAM will be pleased to hear of your positive comments.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed the restaurant and your room as we aim to create a welcoming environment for all of our GUESTS.

Be sure to pop in and say hi during your next stay.

Kind Regards
Marvelous Rambire
Protea Hotel Ondangwa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ondangwa
0 mi away
0 mi away
Anot Guesthouse Namibia
Anot Guesthouse Namibia
#2 of 5 in Ondangwa

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Ondangwa? Share your experiences!